Note to New Members ×

Kid's Racing Skis???????

eaglez

Hey everyone,

I know this is a boarding site but I am looking for some advice on upgrading my 10 yr old son's skis. He needs to be on 130's (based on what the ski shop staff are saying) and he has been racing this season only. He is on 120 Rossi Jr skis new from last season and they are magically too short at this time in the season. We may wait until next season but tips on buying jr racing skis is what I am looking for here. I wasn't sure if he was going to enjoy racing so we didn't step up and get race specific skis. He weighs about 85 pounds and is an intermediate skier, but getting more aggressive everyday. Can anyone give me some direction on this? I didn't want to buy both SL and GS skis so let me know what others do in this situation. I have been looking at the internet and speaking to staff at various ski shops but I want to make sure that I am not just getting the sales pitch. And if anyone has any gear that is newish and would be suitable that is for sale, let me know.

And on another note, he is rocking on the 135 Factory Prime I got him this year. We spent a few times out getting the basics down with some success. But the last time out on one of our last runs, he linked carves from the top to the bottom! I got to the bottom and high fived him and he said "So that's how you do it!!" It was like a light bulb went on in his head. Can't wait to get back out with him!

D. :biggthump

if you've ever dealt with Startingate, they are (aside from a great alpine snowboard shop) pretty much the top ski racing shop around. give them a call and ask their advice...and end of season so you may get a deal on inventory...

(don't expect much of a discount though...I've looked for kids stuff and very rare to find big discounts on kid skis)

I've heard alot of good things about Volkles. My brother has some all stars from 06 I believe and they're a real fun ski. Some friends have a kid on the ski team and he rides sl race tigers. Very snappy little skis, but if you were to get the gs they'd be a little stiffer, but if driven properly they could probably be bent to meet sl needs.

HEy there,

My son is only 5, but has been racing for a couple years now (his decision BTW...don't want to be one of those parents that makes their kids do stuff) and they obviously outgrow their stuff pretty fast. If you're not concerned about new stuff I would check out then local kids racing groups. Our group has a resale every fall and I started getting his stuff there. Racers in general take very good care of their equipment, much like hardbooters and their GS boards. I have even found that most racers have their "race skis" and "rec skis" so the race skis are usually lightly used and in great shape at about half the price of new. The best part is, then the next year you can resell them again and not be out too much money on the trades. I know kids sometimes get stuck with that "I need new" thought, but if it works for you I'd check it out.

On a side note, he's got his snowboarding down enough that he can follow me down the blue runs, but still hasn't asked about a race board.....in fact he keeps asking me when I will ride my "fun" vboard again:rolleyes: