Note to New Members ×

2008 Jr. World Championship Snowboard Team Named

gburgess

Canadian Team should be announced around February 24th-25th following the Noram Halfpipe race on 24th.

Each country are allowed a maximum of 24 spots: maximum 6 per categories.

Seb

Seb,

Once the Canadian Team is announced, I would appreciate it (if you are able to locate links) if you provide links to the write-up and team listings. I'm interested in following the Canadian youth as well as the U.S. team.

Was last year Matt's final opportunity to qualify for the team? If not, I'm guessing he'll repeat, unless he DQs or something like that.

I sure will put the selection on BOL as soon as I will know.

The intent of the Canadian Snowboard Federation is :

"The CSF shall ordinarily select up to five male and up to five female athletes in each of the Halfpipe (HP and BA) and Snowboard Cross disciplines, and up to two male and up to two female athletes in the Alpine discipline. However, as provided for in Section 21 below, a smaller number of athletes may be selected,..."

detail protocol: http://www.csf.ca/File/SelectionProtocol-2008JWC.18Dec07.pdf

Matthew Morisson is too old for Junior's as per FIS rule. You need to be born in 1988 or after to be considered Junior. 19 yrs and under as per December 31st.

Seb :)

Guest Boardbum

For bx my guess is that it will be the same as last year for the Canadain team with exception of the kids that were born in 1987. Then again they seem to make things up as they go (CSF)

• 2 weeks later...

Announcement was made today for the Canadian Team

So here are the highlight in Boardercross and Alpine

WOMEN SBX

1. - BRODEUR Michelle (Alberta)

2. -COWAN Ziggy (Alberta)

3. -BRENNEMAN Carle (BC)

4. -THORP Carly (BC)

5. -MCDONALD Jesse (BC)

MEN SBX

1. - CSOKONAY Dan (Alberta)

2. -ARNDT Andy (Alberta)

3. -PASUTTO Justin (Alberta)

4. -ROBANSKE Christopher (Alberta)

5. -SMITH Pierce (Ontario)

WOMEN ALPINE

1. -DEE Emily (Ontario)

Others potential athletes are on the injured list ( my guess )

MEN ALP

1. -CARTER, Matthew (Alberta)

2. -BEAULIEU Sebastien (Quebec).......Also known as SEB.....I guess, it's ME !!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):) I'm going to Russia !!!!!!!!!

3. -SNARR Thomas (Alberta)

Complete news:

http://www.csf.ca/en/about/news/?id=386

Seb

Not speaking for the canadians here, but in the US we usually take more HPers and SBXers because they have more depth and medal potential than the racers. We have a maxium number of athletes we can take so it is always a give and a take. We usually try to put in three athletes per gender per event. Then fill in the extra spots by coaches judgement. If the next guy HPer has a better chance at a medal than the next in line female PGSers the guy HPer gets the extra spot............Canada probably does a similar thing, like Seb said there are some injuries that come into play as well.

Each country is limited to 24 athletes maximum, 6 per discipline maximum, 16 per gender maximum. As posted before, CSF intent is :

"The CSF shall ordinarily select up to five male and up to five female athletes in each of the Halfpipe (HP and BA) and Snowboard Cross disciplines, and up to two male and up to two female athletes in the Alpine discipline."

According the latest FIS World ranking, within the 100 male riders in each discipline, Canada has: 16 athletes in SBX ( 2 juniors ), 12 in Halfpipe ( 3 juniors ) & 7 in Alpine ( no junior ).

I guess CSF feels they have more potential for medals in SBX & Halfpipe.

Seb

Guest Boardbum

yea you are probably right bx is more of a crap shoot where anything can happen. I got to admit, I would rather watch a bx race over gs race

Heard over the weekend, the ski station where the race is supposed to happen in Russia is having "technical" difficulties with some of its facilities. FIS delegates were rushed in to assess the situation. World's Junior could be relocated ?

Could be the reason why on the Canadian press release, they were stating not to make any trip arrangements before March 4th ??

True or False ? :confused:

Guest Boardbum

Hey Seb. I have heard the same rumors, this happened last year, same Country. Austria stepped in to make it happen. Hope someone can do the same this year. With any luck Russia will pull through.

After the rumors heard over the weekend, here is the confirmation.

The World Junior Championship that was supposed to be held in Khanty-Mansiyk, Russia ( Siberia ) are cancelled. The ski station was a new facilities and supposedly, they had problems with "stability" over some ski lift towers ( rumors ? ).

The World will be relocated right after the final World Cup race in Valmalenco, Italy.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/home-page.html?actu_id_1125=775&actu_page_1125=1

Race are called from March 16th to 23rd, it's like tomorrow....

I started a new thread to make sure nobody missed it

Seb