Note to New Members ×

SES pics

bschurman

Can you give some details on the camera/lens used for these shots? And what shutter speed were you using to get the "frozen" action shots? They look great!!

D.:biggthump

Bob Jenney is the photographer and he shoots a Nikon D300 and I am betting he used his Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 lens for those. The action shots appear to be taken at 1/2000 to 1/3200 of a sec. The info for the photos is available by hovering over the right hand side and click on info.

->Ben

Bob Jenney is the photographer and he shoots a Nikon D300 and I am betting he used his Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 lens for those. The action shots appear to be taken at 1/2000 to 1/3200 of a sec. The info for the photos is available by hovering over the right hand side and click on info.

->Ben

Hey Ben, Thanks for the info. That D300 is the holy grail of cameras for me. I shoot a Nikon D70 and for my non pro needs it probably suffices. The 2.8 lens and the quick shots per second of the D300 definitely shines through here.

D.:biggthump

Man that D300 takes some amazing shots....

I hate reading that, the camera while nice is but a tool it can't (contrary to popular opinion and a good remote) take the pictures by itself. It needs the creative input of a skilled photographer.

Some really nice action captured here. Of course D300+70-200 Nikkor is the best combination Nikon can offer to day for DX format and very much suitable for such task. However, riding with such combo means that one has to load belly with 4-5 pints of lager in order to balance all the weight in backpack :ices_ange

Can't wait for possibility to shoot with similar combo of mine some real carving action. Maybe next weekend ;)

I hate reading that, the camera while nice is but a tool it can't (contrary to popular opinion and a good remote) take the pictures by itself. It needs the creative input of a skilled photographer.

I agree that the role of photographer is most important, but the role of camera is also important, at least for shots like these: with suitable camera it's much easier to focus on photographing instead of overcoming camera limitations. Most (if not all) compact cameras are simply not up to the task: they lack dynamic range, are slow to focus and shoot, frame rate and buffer size are inadequate, typical minimum shutter speed 1/1000 means that one has to shoot with minimum aperture and thus be limited with diffraction while shooting sunny mountain slopes with contemporary pixel-crammed small sensors, LCD framing is unusable in sunny (and cold) weather etc. I'd say that one has to have DSLR for good results, up from there image quality differences are minor, it's more about adjustability and (secondary) features.

I agree that the role of photographer is most important, but the role of camera is also important, at least for shots like these: with suitable camera it's much easier to focus on photographing instead of overcoming camera limitations. Most (if not all) compact cameras are simply not up to the task: they lack dynamic range, are slow to focus and shoot, frame rate and buffer size are inadequate, typical minimum shutter speed 1/1000 means that one has to shoot with minimum aperture and thus be limited with diffraction while shooting sunny mountain slopes with contemporary pixel-crammed small sensors, LCD framing is unusable in sunny (and cold) weather etc. I'd say that one has to have DSLR for good results, up from there image quality differences are minor, it's more about adjustability and (secondary) features.

Agreed, but don't discount the ability of post processing and shooting RAW to pull off magic that otherwise would be unattainable. This is not in reference to Bob's photos as I know him personally and I have seen that he takes great photos right from the camera. Rather just a general comment on digital photography today.

->Ben

I agree Gecko - I guess I should have stated my comment a bit better. I definitely wasn't trying to remove the creativity and skill of the photographer from the finished product.

I guess I was trying to get at is that I can't get over how crisp and how much detail can come out of digital photos. I dabbled in photography back in school and worked mostly with B+W enlargers, I never quite got good enough with color. Post-processing is somewhat of a mystery to me with digital so I tend to just credit the camera which is probably the wrong way to look at it.

Someone also likes their 15mm lens for the stretching effects too.

Seems more like 12-24 zoom to me (Nikkor? Tokina?). I'd like to know, which lens it is actually: newest Nikon models (D3 and D300) are able to remove CA, but in some posted images it's clearly visible (group shots). If it's Nikkor, then assumably there are limits to in-camera processing, if it's third-party lens, then most likely it's not working with non-Nikkor lenses. This of course assumes, that images are taken as JPG, not as RAW and processed later.

But yes, using such wide angle helps to put things into perspective :)

well I ran the photolab on the USS Kittyhawk for 2 1/2 years dealing with 15 photographers worth of imagery and the post production of it. My best photographers cared more about there lenses than they did the body attached to it. More of them used D70's than D2h/x or D200 because the quality wasn't appreciably better and the light weight was more important especialy attached to lenses like a f2.8 300mm, f2.8 400mm or a f4 200-400mm. the Nikor 12-24 is nice but Sigma's 12-24 is brighter and cheaper

Seems more like 12-24 zoom to me (Nikkor? Tokina?). I'd like to know, which lens it is actually: newest Nikon models (D3 and D300) are able to remove CA, but in some posted images it's clearly visible (group shots). If it's Nikkor, then assumably there are limits to in-camera processing, if it's third-party lens, then most likely it's not working with non-Nikkor lenses. This of course assumes, that images are taken as JPG, not as RAW and processed later.

But yes, using such wide angle helps to put things into perspective :)

Wide angles were taken with a Tokina 12-24. I believe that Bob is not real happy with it even after playing with the in camera AF fine tuning. He is going to trade it in for the nikkor 14-24 f/2.8

->Ben