Note to New Members ×

HEAD snowboards-- any good?

Powercarver129

I just won a head "true" 154 snowboard. It's a freestyle snowboard, but I will be using it for mostly boardercross (I occasionally do SOME freestyle though). It's 7 cm longer than my old one (154 vs. 147) and I'm 5'11, 143 lbs, so that is an advantage. My old freestyle board was a forum JP walker... nice board but too short and about 5-6 years old with hundreds of days of riding on it. I don't know too much about head snowboards but are they decent? Is this a better bet than my old board to do boardercross races on? Or do you think that I need to get ANOTHER one to be a solid competitor in BX?? Thanks in advance for the help.

correction: 146 lbs. haha just weighed myself.

anyone know if head makes decent snowboards though?

Yea, Head makes some decent snowboard... I rode my friend Head ICT Intellifiber board (155ish, I'm 145 lbs) last season and it felt light and turny, it semi-damp but not to the point of being unstable... anyways at 145 lbs... a 154 is definitely going to be better for carving than 147.

Won't that be a bit too small for BX?

I'ld be afraid to go down any decent Bordercross run with jumps on something in that size. (I'm 70-75kg, and use either a Speedster RS in 173 or a 165 Boardercross with softies for BX or banked courses - definitely could make good use of a 175 to 180 BX board (with 9-10m radius not more) and softies though - courses are never so turny that the short length brings any benefits to me).

Depends also on what kind of Boardercross courses you race on. If it is anything like I have seen on the Jeep Tour than I wouldn't even try to make it down on such a small board in a pack of 4. If the biggest jumps only go up to 10-15m in lenght it would be doable, but still a longer board wouldn't carry any disadvantages IMHO. Remember that as a softbooter you take the bank, while hardbooters with often longer boards occupy the inner side.

thanks for the feedback. the courses I race are very small scale because they're just my local USASA series courses. If and when I get to the nationals it may be a bigger scale course but probably still nothing insane. If I had a longer board I would ride it... my next step up is a HB generics 163. Maybe that is an option, I don't know. I don't own a board longer than that though. Possibly, I should try to get a SB board even longer for BX? But I just don't have the money for it. I was lucky enough to WIN this Head snowboard...

Hey I doubt this qould actually happen but ever hear of an exchange kind of thing? Like since I have a 154, could I go to Head and say hey look, I bought the wrong size, can I swap it for a 162 or something?? Think I have any chance at that? Anyone out there have a new Head snowboard that is too long:o:lol:!!??

Justin -

I would mount it up and ride it! Also bring the generics to saturdays event, I'll look at it and tell you if you can ride here or in nationals. I don't know the board, but you may be able to mount it up with softies to get that extra length. I would recommend racing BX in softie, but if you wanted to try it on HB, then the course at ward would certainly be a good one to try it on...

-Noah

p.s. Head boards reviewed very well, people who ride them love them! (and I'm not just saying that because they sponsor us...I am dying to try out!

The guy at 3:00 in the below video is riding the exact model Head snowboard I bought off Ebay for like $100:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvOQ1JCjSE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvOQ1JCjSE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks to Bryan for finding this video (it's linked in the videos section here on BOL).