Note to New Members ×

A different kind of slalom

pebu

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjAHK0MwVk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

I saw this on tv quite a while ago and after thinking, "Holy crap are those guys crazy" I was thinking, hey, this would be kinda cool for an expression session event. I'm not sure how they score it in waterskiing, but imagine an event based on I guess three basic principles: how far apart the gates are (vertically), how far apart they are (horizontally) and time... The closer you can get the gates (vertically), the farther apart you can get them (horizontally) and the faster your time the better your score is. It'd be a balancing game because obviously if the gates are too far apart horizontally it'll slow you down, etc.

edit

now that I think of it, I think I remember seeing something like this already on skis. Either way, it'd be a cool ses event.

I do something like that... no need to say, far from the level of pros. Way more difficult and demanding than snowboarding. Really. :smashfrea

The competition is about to complete 6 buoys. The distance between the buoys is a given. See attached pic. They first increase the speed of the boat gradually by 3 km/h up to 58 km/h (55 km/h for women) and then start shortening the length of the rope.

The standard rope length is 75 ft. (=23m) This is called the 'long-line'. The competition typically begins with 15 off, resulting a rope length of 60 ft and then going down ft by ft.

So 58 km/h 6@38off means the speed of the boat was 58 km/h, the guy completed all 6 buoys, and the length of the rope was 75-38=37 ft.

Now here comes the surprising thing: the distance between the 2 sides of the course is 11,5 m = 38 ft.

How can one do the course with a shorter rope than the distance of the buoys? Well, they fully stretch as shown on the video.... :D

There are guys who can do 58km/h 2@43off. So the rope is 6ft shorter than the distance between the to sides of the course... and don't forget: boat speed is 58 km/h.... crazy... :eek:(http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=53011&typeID=102&categoryID=165)

You can learn much more about the sport here:

http://www.waterskimag.com/

http://www.iwsf.com/

Cheers

post-2318-141842249583_thumb.jpg

Istvan, I posted up just about the same info as you minus the schematic for the course so I deleted it. It sounds like you are a slalom skier like myself. Just curious at to what your personal best is? Back in my younger days I was able to run a personal best of 5@32 off but could not re-create that now. It's been awhile since I was in a slalom course, we have quite a few of them located about one hour north of me out in the middle of the desert. The water is pumped from below ground to make perfect tournament lakes.

My gosh!

The boat is going 50kph and you're actually traveling at a very large angle to the direction of the boat, so HOLY CRAP ARE YOU HAULIN by the time you cross the wake. I can get up on one ski and get around like that. On the very outsides I can lean into it and get my hands wet, but nothing even close to what these guys (and you guys) are doing.

Of course if it were snowboarding the scoring would have to change a bit. Speed would have to be time. Rope length would be spread or something. I don't know. Just shouting out ideas. Thought it was neat.

Man, I am lightyears behind you.... we have very few slalom courses in Hungary, actually I only know about 2. Even finding a lake where you can use motorboats is an issue.... so we do it on the 2 big rivers we have (Duna and Tisza) where the water is quite far from being as still as a lake.....

I can do the course with the standard 60ft, but never really had the chance to train regularily on a course. But I am good at carving on the waves half drunk ;-) that would be the BX of slalom waterski..... ;-)))))

Cheers

I can do the course with the standard 60ft, but never really had the chance to train regularily on a course. But I am good at carving on the waves half drunk ;-) that would be the BX of slalom waterski..... ;-)))))

Cheers

I've found those slalom course types to be very unfriendly uptight tweakers. I still have my old double boot slalom ski but I'd rather wakeboard the big phat swell coming off the giant car ferry to the Vineyard getting pulled behind the yamaha jetboat as the tourist gapers drop thier jaws in disbelief.:eek::eplus2::rolleyes:

bwwwaaaaa ha ha ! enjoy your lameass vacation !

post-123-141842249588_thumb.jpg

post-123-14184224959_thumb.jpg

we evocated the idea a few years back with Jacques and Patrice... set up a EC contest based on how far appart one can get with flat "buoys" like flags like they have on carving skis contests.... the idea was to widen the buyos after each successfull ride, and see how far one could get, making it mandatory to manage perfect EC turns, perfect timing, and perfect carving... the main problem we did not figure out how to beat was the fact that snow does not get flat again after u pass, but it digs quick....second issue is how to change the buoys position??? an idea was to use colored paint and video camera judging to see if the rider passed the color without biting etc...pain in the ass to organise... maybe a buoy on a hidden 'sunk' rail that would make it possible to move automatically ( clic clic..) could be a solution, but the piste would have to be pre- equipped....

that run by the jamie guy on video is totally insane, he just snaps turns like its catwalk !! crazy... the spray he makes is about 5-6 meters high its also insane ! this guy is super human...

N

My gosh!

The boat is going 50kph and you're actually traveling at a very large angle to the direction of the boat, so HOLY CRAP ARE YOU HAULIN by the time you cross the wake.

Pebu, if you notice the position of the skier as he rounds the ball, he draws the rope into his waist and leans back with his shoulders giving him maximum leverarge over the boat. The trick is to cross the wake and to the ball on the other side without being dragged down the coursefurther than necessary. Once you start getting behind it is very hard to catch back up. In the video you watch one guy looking good for bouys 1 &2 but begins to get behind at three, by the time he gets to four he can only round the bouy and stand up.

With the boat going 36 mph you lean away from the boat you can accelerate up to around 50-55 mph in just a heartbeat. Once you blast through the wakes you have to slow back down to 15-20 mph in order to make the turn around the bouy and then the whole thing repeats itself 6 times over

The exertion level while slalom skiing is huge. I don't think I have ever taxed my body so hard doing my other activities.

Just checked the Hungarian men's ranking in 2006....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TH align=middle>Hely</TH><TH align=middle>Név</TH><TH align=middle>

Klub

</TH><TH align=middle>Hely1</TH><TH align=middle>Eredmény1</TH><TH align=middle>Hely2</TH><TH align=middle>Eredmény2</TH><TH align=middle>Összesítés</TH><TH align=middle></TH><TH align=middle></TH><TH align=middle></TH></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>1

</TD><TD align=middle>Németh Gábor</TD><TD align=middle>

KVE

</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>2/58/11.25</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/11.25</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/58/11.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>2

</TD><TD align=middle>Jurás László</TD><TD align=middle>

SHORTLINE

</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>1/58/12</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>3,5/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>5,25/58/13</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>3</TD><TD align=middle>Pócsi Sándor</TD><TD align=middle>SHORTLINE</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>3,25/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>3,125/58/13</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD align=middle>Gyursánszky Gábor</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>3,5/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/13</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD align=middle>Kõszeghy Gábor</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>2/58/13</TD><TD align=middle>S</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle>5,75/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD align=middle>Zentai László</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>5/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>5/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle>5/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>7</TD><TD align=middle>Albert László</TD><TD align=middle>KVE</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>2/58/14.25</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>5,25/58/16</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>Túróczi László</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>S</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/16</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>Mike</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>4/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>2/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>3/58/16</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>10</TD><TD align=middle>ifj. Sebõk Zoltán</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>0,5/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/58/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>4,5/58/18.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>Sebõk Zoltán</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/55/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>1/55/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>1,75/55/18.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>12</TD><TD align=middle>Aradi Gergely</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>2/55/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>3/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>5,5/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>13</TD><TD align=middle>Deák Kálmán</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>3/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>2/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>14</TD><TD align=middle>Villányi Gábor</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>3/49/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>S</TD><TD align=middle>2/49/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>2,5/49/18.25</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>15</TD><TD align=middle>Tod Johnston</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>K1</TD><TD align=middle>5/58/16</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>Micskó László</TD><TD align=middle>SKIWORLD</TD><TD align=middle>MB</TD><TD align=middle>2/55/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>17</TD><TD align=middle>Leskó Zoltán</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>K2</TD><TD align=middle>4,5/52/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle>18</TD><TD align=middle>Bencsik Péter</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>S</TD><TD align=middle>2/46/18.25</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD><TD align=middle>.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Look at the green numbers, that is the final result. You could actually be #3 with 5@32off.... :lol: I think we can conclude that Hungary is not a slalom ski country.... :freak3:

Cheers

The exertion level while slalom skiing is huge. I don't think I have ever taxed my body so hard doing my other activities.

I don't doubt it. And you really gotta be on the ball the whole time cause it seems like the kind of thing where it'd be easy to high-side. And at that speed, water is not very soft.

Look at the green numbers, that is the final result. You could actually be #3 with 5@32off.... :lol: I think we can conclude that Hungary is not a slalom ski country.... :freak3:

Cheers

Maybe I should move over to Hungary and resurrect my skiing career but now I am 45 and my boat speed is now much slower than 36 mph. The lakes that I used to ski at were also small communities with people living there full time. There was a gentleman and his wife that lived there. They would come out and run the course at 35 0ff and she would run the course at 28 off. Did I mention that they were in there late 50s and doing this?? Talk about a humbling experience

Pebu, I never had any serious injuries other than rupturing my eardrums from slamming the side of your face on the glassy smooth water. It hurts like hell when you do it and your equilibrium is all screwed up. I now have hearing problems in both ears from water skiing but no major things.

My gosh!

The boat is going 50kph and you're actually traveling at a very large angle to the direction of the boat, so HOLY CRAP ARE YOU HAULIN by the time you cross the wake.

yeah, and then you lean forward a bit, lose balance and do 6 freakin cartwheels before stopping and checking to see that everything is still attached(got it on video somewhere). I love waterskiing, but I wish I had a boat that produced as little wake as that, our is used for wakeboarding too....so air is not uncommon on the ski.