Note to New Members ×

Lifespan of snowboard and suggestion for new soft setup.

pow4ever

some info:

weight 220 but looked 180 :)

height: 6'

feet size: found out something interesting about my feet when i went to get custom footbed for hardboot(head stratos); apparently I am missing some sort of bone and my foot varies from size 10(weight off) to 11(stand on it.) Or maybe the boot fitter is just yanking me chain..

soft angle: 30/18

hard: TBD still playing with it.

current setup:

Donek freeride wide 169; not sure what year(02-03?). I bought it used on ebay and my memory is a little fuzzy.

It's my first board and still my favor board. But I am start to think maybe it's dead? How can I tell? I probably have close to 60+ hard days on it plus whatever previous owner have on it.

slaomon malmute + salomon spx90

Donek 180 gs <-- Mikt T's old board. + catek os2 + head stratos.

illuminati Brian Iguich 161 had it for 2 seasons. Not a bad board; it's really fun in mogul and park; but kinda slow and doesn't float as well.

Only got couple days on the hard stuff but I am hooked when I demo the Donek Axxes 172.

local mountain:

North East, VT, stratton, killington, hunter, sugarloaf

Mostly hard packed/icy stuff

However I do go out west for 2-3 weeks a years

Ride about 20-30 days a winter; I wanted to go more but

This would be my 5th years going to 6 th seasons.

I am ok on the snowboard but definately try to get better.

Like the steep, don't do much park(I can't seems to get off the ground for some reason.). Just discover carving. Some mild tress(where you can see the sun.)

My question is how do you know it's time to replace your board?

My donek 169 seems to just fine; Got very little camber comare to the new board.

I still ride it 90% of the time; but seems like something is amiss; plus most of the mounting hole are stripped. I am not sure maybe it's my weight? but the binding screw like to come off? so I have to tighten it very tight and some time to the point of striping them and it's back to squre one.

I am think getting a new do-it-all stick for soft setup. Something maybe like the donek freeride 169? I guess it's my first board so it hold a special place.

Seems like tanker, madd are some good alternative. And from the search I did:

Metal board seems to be the next big thing?

Donek seems to be required more work than the tanker or "less damping" is the proper term? I been riding my donek 8am-3pm and my leg feel like noddle every time.

I should probably email Sean but does the the 07/08 donek freeride have any significant new technology or improvement to say like the newer model?

Sorry about all the questions and Thank you taking the time to read this and looking forward to your suggestion and feedback.

--

David

Sounds like you need to replace your soft boot board if the inserts are shot. talk to Sean I am sure that he could build something that would be suited to your size. continue to ride both setups and have fun! I like riding both and I think your riding gets better if you can ride both as you learn to carve both softboot and hardboot. when you go out west be sure to bring both setups so you can enjoy both powder and hard snow depending on the conditions.It is not fun to ride an alpine deck in powder.

60 days on your soft board, plus whatever mileage the previous owner put in, could indeed mean that your board has given up the ghost. At 150 pounds, I have about 100 days on my Arbor freeride, and it's softened up quite a bit (though not to the point of unrideability).

Thanks for the input.

In the amusement park they have this game they guess your weight; if it's off by x-amount you get a prize. I weight 220lb but they always guess around 180lb. Heavy bone maybe?

Let me just consolidate some of the data.

220lb

size 11 feet

angle 30/18

I conside myself an aggressive rider. Just gotten into hardboots. Want to get better. I think my donek freeride wide 169 is on it's way out and looking for suggestion. My leg get tired from riding the hardboot alot quicker than the softboot stuff.

Something I am looking for:

tanker vs donek

madd vs donek

Thanks

--

David

tanker vs donek

madd vs donek

Since you are on the East Coast (I grew up in Westchester) where the trails are narrower and more crowded. I would not go longer than 182 for the Tankers.

I had the 04/05 Rad Air Tanker 172. The newer Tankers are a little different, but all of them tend to be quite damp, which lets you ride the same way in all snow conditions. Combined with the added length, you could laser down the hill. One thing I missed was the lack of pop in the tail for trampoline like edge changes and ollies off of rollers. Another board to consider is the the Rad Air Reto Lamm LSD 164. THAT board is a carving machine and has a TON of pop in the tail.

I had the 2002 Donek Incline 155 and the 2004 Donek Phoenix 155. The Incline was a carving machine... very lively, very stiff. It was excellent on firm hardpack... less friendly on wet/soft snow and terrible in powder (due to narrow profile and stiffness). Phoenix is much more powder friendly, but still a little too lively in bumpy conditions for my taste (transmits all the bumps and jolts into your legs where as the Tanker and Madd soak that up).

I had the 2005 Madd TT158. I liked it a lot. Best ice edgehold. Very damp with very good pop in the tail. A little less powder friendly than the Tankers. Actually my favorite of the three as it was more maneuverable than the Tanker, with a mellower flex than the Incline, and yet more stable than the Phoenix. This probably more of a Goldilocks thing as it just happen to meet my personal preferences the best.

Here's a summary

Ice grip: Madd > Donek / Tanker

Dampness: Tanker / Madd > Donek

Stability: Tanker > Madd / Incline > Phoenix

Pop: Madd > Donek >> Tanker

Liveliness: Donek >> Madd / Tanker

Stiffness: Incline >> Tanker > Madd > Phoenix

Maneuverability: Phoenix >> Madd > Tanker > Incline

Powder: Phoenix > Tanker > Madd > Incline

lonerider thanks!!! exactly the comparison I am looking for.

If you don't mind me asking what's your height/weight?

I went to Harrsion High School; used to live near westchester country club. Worked in Rye Playland for a summer job.

It sucks that you can not demo high end board to find one that's best suit one's need.

decisions, decisions

--

David

lonerider thanks!!! exactly the comparison I am looking for.

If you don't mind me asking what's your height/weight?

I went to Harrsion High School; used to live near westchester country club. Worked in Rye Playland for a summer job.

It sucks that you can not demo high end board to find one that's best suit one's need.

decisions, decisions

--

David

I am 5'9" 145 lbs. I went to Woodlands and Edgemont High School (cross-registered).

Yes, what I usually do is just key an eye out for deals... if it's 40% off or more and a good fit for my size... I just go ahead and get board since I can sell it for about the cost of a demo.

For alpine gear, there is always a lot of stuff available because there are so many people who buy multiple brand new custom / metal boards ... run out of money and then are forced to sell off their gear fast. Their financial irresponsibility is to our benefit :biggthump