Note to New Members ×

Freeride days - sneak peak

svr

As I mentioned in another post on tankers, I just got back from Switzerland where I attended the freeride days event (more info at www.first-tracks.org) and thought I would share some pics of next years tankers. pics are of my 200 and Liz with a 172. the leaves on the tree are chrome foil letters spelling out tanker and i do not know how they keep doing it, but the board is again lighter and rides very well.

post-420-141842249018_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842249019_thumb.jpg

post-420-14184224902_thumb.jpg

Furi, give me a couple days and i will get the new stats...but one of the biggest changes is in the carbon for the core and the topsheet material is new (lighter and thinner and not as brittle as the 07-08). The new ones are a lot like the red model you have with the newer pintail shape.

Jon, yes it was a blast and not as expensive as you might think as Switzerland is not on the Euro (thank god). I flew KLM and they charge an extra 40 Euro for snowboards of any length each way (a lot of strange looks at my 200 cm board case), but the big thing is the weight allowance for the board bag is only 20kg...each kg over 20 will cost you 30 Euro so it is very important to have another piece of checked baggage for all of your other gear and clothes as your regular checked baggage can weigh up to 30 kg each for two bags. Also, you have some of the best snow and mountains in your back yard so you are pretty lucky where you are at. looking forward to seeing all of you for the PNW mini session.

cheers,

sandy

Sandy - that sounds like a winning combo. The pintail shape would be very interesting. And I love how my red board rides.

Switzerland is a beautiful place to ride and pretty cheap. When I lived on the east coast it was actually cheaper to fly to Switzerland and ride then it was to go out west to CO/Utah. Hotels and food are much cheaper and much nicer for what you pay out west in the states.

Zermatt was my home base for quite a few seasons:

zermatt.jpg

Furi, yes, i really like switzerland and the alrberg region of austria. It was cheaper for me to go there from japan than going to seattle, but I will be making the trip to seattle and portland to ride with a bunch of tanker riders from the pacnorwest from the 23rd to the 28th of Feb and then I will head back to switzerland and austria for the first-tracks invitational and the longboard classic in stuben at the end of march and begining of april. As for the boards, the red tanker you have was one of my favorites and it was a bit of an adjustment to go from it to the blue mask tanker in 06-07 as the core materials were quite a bit different and a completely new shape and weight, but I like the new shape better and now that it is lighter and flexes more like the red one it is the best of both worlds for me.

cheers,

sandy