Note to New Members ×

Asymetrical loading-unloading?

zenyogi4

Rode my first asymetrical in yesterdays sloppy at Hunter NY, a Radair Soul 164 w/hybrid binding f2 rippers intec system bindings. I found that it seemed to release later in turns, wasn't snappy. I don't know if it was my technique of loading and releasing or if it was the sloppy conditions - the snow sugared out as it made the 60 degree mark. Or if asyms are just different than a standard race board. Anybody able to offer advice or understand what I'm talking about in regards to a transitioning turns? Thanx Dave

Thanx Jack, it has been a long time since I read your article. So let me extrapolate, I should use this board only for slalom races if I am concerned about maximum edging and it might provide me an edge over a traditional board if I use a technique that utilizes 45 degree stance for maximum edging, other wise the board style is obsolete? OK I get think I get the picture, I picked up this board and an old coil as part of a deal sweetner when I purchased a Volkyl 183. Any way I have never ridden an asym and wanted to experience it. So I guess that the slow release was probably due to the sloppy conditions, guess I will have to wait till next season to try it out on course contions. Thanx again for the advice. Dave

Originally posted by D-Sub

whoa dude, relax.

skully was just pointing out that its kinda funny how snowboards have foregone the asym idea and wakeboards are picking it up.

O'brien had an asym wakeboard at least 10 years ago. I don't know if there's any advantage or disadvantage.

• 10 months later...

Kiteboards are asym as well. I was told one side is "turnier" than the other and one side was "faster" or straighter.

I don't kite (yet) Chime in WillyWhit?

Also there were giant asym windsurfers in the 80's used in surf events. You's have one special board for right breaks and one for lefts. Freaky!

And what about those hillbilly "cheater" race cars made to turn and slide left only. ( I think it's left..)

Hmm what else could be compared...( good work time waster! )

ds

only by those ignorant of both history and technique

Jack, Are you allergic to asym. concept? or is it just pure healthy technical debate we are having here? I hope it's the latter and if so, how about answering to this thread when a direct question was asked from you.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4277&highlight=asym