Note to New Members ×

Madd De-lam

SEJ

Just picked up a used Madd 170. Yellow sidewalls. After riding one day I noticed the carbon fiber butterfly was lifting up in a couple of places. It almost looked like it was a "peel and stick" kind of application. I pushed it back down and it stuck.

Anybody know anything about this? Is this structural, or just a decoration?

I am certainly no MADD expert, but I had the same thign happen to a MADD camo 170 I owned once. I hapened to have some West system epoxy in the garage and used it readhere the CF x-wing, it was acutally a bubble about the size of two half dollars. I used a syringe to inject the epoxy inside the bubble. Super glue can even work, but I would go epoxy if you can get a small thing of it at the local store.

I used two flat pieces of smooth wood and clamped it. over night. No problems for as long as I had it.

As far as use in performance, it may not seem like much, but IMO I think the x-wing does offer a level of stiffness, not a huge amount , but it does.

Having worked with CF and epoxy on my skateboards and molding other various shapes and gadgets with it, I can say its pretty amazing how strong CF gets once it is cured with an epoxy.

I hope this helps

do you have any pics?

Yes, if it's got the day-glo yellow/green sidewalls and the "blue boy" topsheet, that was in its day a known warranty issue. It has long since been corrected.

However, since you bought the board used, and since it's most likely a 2005 model, I think you're probably SOL. You should seek satisfaction from whomever you bought it from, because if they rode it any more than like 2 days, they would have had the delam issue too. Sounds like either they didn't ride it more than that (unlikely), or they did and tried to glue it back on themselves.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep my eye on it and see what it does. When I pushed it down it stuck like hell. Seems like a pressure sensitive adhesive.

You're probably right Dave, if it needs gluing I'm probably better off peeling the whole thing off and prepping the surface before gluing. I am also a fan of JB weld. I've had it hold when others won't.

Scott