Note to New Members ×

BX set up for first time

DiveBomber

Im trying to figure out what set up to go with. Im leaning against going with my soft boots, I just feel more comfortable in my HB.

SO that being said im trying to figure out what set up to use assuming id do go with HB's for my first BX.

Here are my options

Volkl Cross 67 (25 cm wide)

MLY melhuse 167 (22.5cm wide)

Burton Ultra prime 169.5 (20.1 cm wide)

I dont know what the SCR on the melhuse is.

Im assuming they wont let me ride my standard alpine decks.

I guess its more of which one will land the jumps easiest.

My rear ankle on my SB on the Volk was feeling it on landings. I have a 6deg can on the rear I don't know if thats what throwing me off but It feels better to ride with it other wise. But thats part of the reason I dont want to use SB.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are being far too techy. Ride the board that you feel the most confortable on. Whatever you can ride anywhere on the mountain, in any conditions. That's the board you want.

Remember some SBX's you can't ride a square tail, ie. ultra prime.

thats the problem I feel most comfortable on a board they wont let me use for sure. I think I can use the ultra prime as is has fairly large radius on each corner, As its the one I'm leaning towards

I wouldn't count on being able to use an ultra prime, you might get away with it in your region, but no way at nationals. An F2 tail profile is max at what they will let you get away with.

If you are set on using the ultra prime, bring a back up. Other than that again use what you feel the most confortable on.

I'd also add that the "I used it in my region" arguement will get you nowhere...(although there is some level of precedent...another story for another place)

furthermore, I'd argue that you aren't doing yourself too much competing on a board locally that cannot use nationally.

I wouldn't count on being able to use an ultra prime, you might get away with it in your region, but no way at nationals. An F2 tail profile is max at what they will let you get away with.

If you are set on using the ultra prime, bring a back up. Other than that again use what you feel the most confortable on.

Hmmm, well I took a look again, what do you think??:

23uohf7.jpg

wwd6rd.jpg

For what it is worth, I am a certified TS for USASA, with about 10 years of coaching experience.

you can try it if you want to, but don't say I didn't tell you so. That board will not be allowed at nationals.

believe when I say I am right there at the front line when it come to questioning the BX TS on this, but he is very stubborn and will not budge.

For what it is worth, I am a certified TS for USASA, with about 10 years of coaching experience.

you can try it if you want to, but don't say I didn't tell you so. That board will not be allowed at nationals.

believe when I say I am right there at the front line when it come to questioning the BX TS on this, but he is very stubborn and will not budge.

TS?? I might have a different board by then, But as of right now My only other option is the MLY, I know theres no question about that one. But is got a significantly shorter running length and wider.

Well... Would it be crazy to take the UP to a belt sander??

Whats the limits? I mean how can know what exactly to look for so i won't have any problems?

Kinda. We used to do it to freestyle decks to get rid of (swing weight) the big nose and tails they had. If the core gets wet you're done. Seal it up with some epoxy and it lasts a while, but not forever.

TS = Technical Supervisor

Scott Palmer and Gordon Robins will NOT allow that board at USASA nationals. I promise you that much. There is not set rule giving specs, just the guys opinion, and I know them well. Trust what Noah and I are saying.

If your series directer will let you use it great, but if you qualify for nationals, you will have to find a different board to ride.

TS?? I might have a different board by then, But as of right now My only other option is the MLY, I know theres no question about that one. But is got a significantly shorter running length and wider.

instead of ruining the UP, ship it to me and ride the Volk :D:D

Forget raceboards and square tails....while at it, leave out the hardboot factor aswell...... you can't use um.

Get yourself a true twintip, and set angles for agressive stance. You get tweeked or corked out from a 45 mph ramp, and your ride day (or worse) is done in hardboots. This again depends on how wimpy your BX course is laid out too.

Seriously... forget the carver style, when you start amping up off the whales and rollers, you want something you can put down and stomp for a stable even landing, and still have "wiggle room".... you bury an edge, and the guy is right next to you.......... its pancake city, and your ass is the griddle.

I rode BX in quite a few comps back in the early 2000's when they were still racing with 8 man wide "fight to the finish" style..... with 4 man racing, it is not quite as hard to jockey for position, but still.......... get something snappy and still able to be flippy enough to be responsive as a split seconds need.

Forget raceboards and square tails....while at it, leave out the hardboot factor aswell...... you can't use um.

In FIS, you may ride whatever board/boot you like.

In USASA you can ride hard boots, but not square tail boards.

I rode BX in quite a few comps back in the early 2000's when they were still racing with 8 man wide "fight to the finish" style..... with 4 man racing, it is not quite as hard to jockey for position, but still.......... get something snappy and still able to be flippy enough to be responsive as a split seconds need.

FIS runs 4 man heats.

USASA runs 6 man heats (at nationals)

USASA regional series run what they can, but the national organization would ultimately like to see us run 6.