Note to New Members ×

Can a cracked/split boot be repaired?

cafercr35

I have a pair of almost new Burton Fires. The right boot has split at the toe. It's about a 1.5" split. Is there any way to repair this?

I called Burton and they have no shells left on the shelf.

It's a 25.5-26 shell, right boot. If anyone has a right for some rieason.....LOL

I put an add in the wanted section

I have a pair of almost new Burton Fires. The right boot has split at the toe. It's about a 1.5" split. Is there any way to repair this?

I called Burton and they have no shells left on the shelf.

It's a 25.5-26 shell, right boot. If anyone has a right for some rieason.....LOL

Photos?

I have seen the bottom of a boot STAY in a binding and the rider did not! :ices_ange

Don't waste the duct tape, the roll's worth more than that boot-

I suggest some well-thought out calls to Burton customer service.

Yeah - I know the boys over there and they have searched high and low and can not find me a shell that size.

I know they are good for it. I blew up many Alps years ago and even another pair of Fires and they always replaced them at no charge.

OK, no laughing at my suggestion. Find two pieces of aluminum, 1/16th inch thick. Bend and contour the pieces of aluminum to the compound curves of the shell. One piece inside the shell, one on the outside. Drill a hole at the terminus of the crack to eliminate further cracking. Locate some pop rivets long enough to penetrate through the top aluminum plate, shell material and the bottom aluminum plate but not too long to protrude into the interior of the shell. Align the split/break as best as you can and with a C clamp hold everything together. Drill through aluminum and shell material and put some pop rivets in there. Six would do the trick, I would think.

I wish I would have kept the Burton Reactors that I did this to. They broke in roughly the same spot, I thought they were toast. My dad took em out to the airport where he has metal working tools and made a patch for the boot. I continued to ride those boots for another two years without a problem. I finally chucked em in the trash as the liners were toast.

Good luck

PS, Joe, I can handle this repair for you. Just send me the boots along with the FC I 185 for payment and I will get 'er done :) :)