Note to New Members ×

Ontario Racing

Rob Smith

is looking good! Given how many of our Ontario Team riders have retired or moved up I was concerned about filling the gap. No fear, Mike Towers and Dave have a full team (14 or so); average age, about 15. I was riding at Mansfield today and checking in with "the team"; I was thoroughly impressed with the caliber of talent. I'm curious as to how many clubs have "in house" race programs?

There aren't even any kids that age on carving / race gear. I am the lone specimen and I'm too old for even the Masters category.

It's sad really. Osler has great terrain and very active ski racing programs but snowboard racing has never taken hold at our club. I failed to even get my own kids interested although one is riding plates recreationally (just to be unlike his brother).

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, I was just posting a want ad for boots when I came across your note.

Do you know anyone who has a pair of 27 -27.5 boots to sell?

I am looking for Thomas my son who is in the race program with Brady and Jacki at Mansfield.

By the way, it's James Chiang 416-476-8295

I have also asked Gord to ask Mike but thought that you would have some connections as well.

Happy New Year!

Congrats on your son's achievements!

Hope you're keeping well!

There are 17 this season at Oshawa/Kirby (Lowriders).

Glen Eden does SBX only but they have good numbers (in the high teens). Skyloft dropped their program two season ago. Kimberley has a team, not sure of numbers. Then there are the Collingwood private clubs who have their own circuit. Again, unsure of numbers but it's probably in the dozens. There are also Ontario racers riding out of Holimont in NY.

I'm not sure that's enough of a base to build a strong program. I sure would like to see more teams.