Note to New Members ×

Wanna start diggin trenches

Chubz

Folks

Lookin for any input on converting from freestyle to alpine. I have been riding since 1984 and have noticed that I am enjoying laying down turns on my Burton Custom more than heading to the park. I have been doing a good bit of research, but still need some direction from the folks that do it.

Looking to get a setup initially then possibly build the quiver. I ride very fast and aggressively now and feel I could move into the alpine feel very readily.

I am 6' about 200 lbs regular footer from the east coast (boiler plate), PA with occasional jaunts to the west and VT and NH.

It seems the selections are mostly Burton, Coiler and Donek. I have inquired with Coiler but have not heard back from them.

ANy of you input is greatly welcomed for this noob.

Mellow Yellow, if you read this, I grew up in the burgh area and started riding at Hidden VAlley on Burton Elite 150 split tail back in '84. If I'm ever back in the area from the Lehigh Valley, possbly hook up and ride. Then to the Foggy Goggles.

Hope all of you had a great season.

Greg

It really, really depends on both your budget and what exactly it is you want to do.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing you're doing : Highly aggressive softboots --> hardboots. I used to do jumps, found carving to be more fun...blah, blah.

I'll be switching to a Swoard 175M from extremecarving.com. But it's pricey, to say the least. ($1500 CND shipped)

It's a board designed specifically for, well, extremecarving. Fully laid-out (body flat to the ground, board perpendicular to the ground) linked turns. Check out the videos on that site to see what it's capable of (not that I envision getting anywhere close to that initially). I love the idea of hardboots, but don't really like the ultra-thin boards that racers tend to use.

What are you stance angles? I'm already at 50/50 in my softboots, so there won't be a huge change there. If you're still riding <15 degrees, then you'll probably want to avoid the thinner boards.

If you're a soft-boot convert and want to retain all-mountain capability, look into the all-mountain category. Coiler makes the AMX/AM 172. Prior makes the 4WD. Donek makes the Axis. These boards are all wider (21.5 cm) and softer than race boards, with an upturned tail so fakie is possible. With normal sized feet, you can run moderate angles (45 degrees or so). They're available in a variety of lengths, at your weight you probably want something 170-ish.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm not too worried about riding fakie. What are the main differences b/tw the all mtn. and a full racing board. Even though I won't be racing I don't want a board that will "ease" me into alpine. I sooner just go for it and take my lumps during the transition curve. Noted on the length and it gives me a start.

Thanks

Greg

Kind of OT. I am the trainer at Ski Roundtop. I would love to have you down for some trenches next season. I am guessing that it is a one and a half hour drive for you. Today was our last day this season. Look me up early next season and we can ride. I am available every day but Sunday. You can email me at phillipleebowman@hotmail.com now or then to keep in touch.

I don't know what your budget is, but I would spend whatever it takes to find boots that fit properly - this will be the difference between loving hardbooting or hating it. Raichle/Deluxe tend to fit pretty narrow, where UPS and Head are a little wider. Just shell test whatever you can get your hands on. I also highly recommend getting Thermoflex liners and footbeds. Indeed, your properly fitting boots will set you back, but you will not regret it.

Next, you are big. For big boy carving (I'm 6'2/225 myself) you will want nothing less than Bomber or Catek bindings. Both of these bindings are top notch and you really can't go wrong with either one.

Whatever you have left in your budget after you get the boots and bindings sorted out, you can put towards a board. If your boots fit and you're on good bindings, you should be able to rail on just about anything. That is not to say that the board doesn't matter, but you will never know what your going to like with bloody toes and busted bails.

Greg, from experience, I'd recommend that you try (rent or demo) first before you put out a lot of cash. I bought all the stuff, just to learn it's NOT as easy as these guys make it look. And being in the Lehigh Valley as I am also don't really help. Not many Alpine riders around to bench race with. Not to be negative, but it's a lot more like skiing than it is boarding (my opinion). I thought I was going to jump on it and go. I can ride it Ok, but can still carve my soft set-up better than the Alpine stuff, although I've only been out a few times. All I'm saying, is that it is my belief that like most things in life, It's NOT as easy as it looks when the 'hot dogs' do it !! Just saying try it first, before you invest...

JP

Appreciate the input and can completely understand where you are coming from, but hey if I dont like it, I take a hit and resell the equipment.

As my dad could confirm, I don't listen to peoples advice to well if it goes against what I want to do, but then again he doesnt realize I got that from him.

He gave me similar advice a few years ago when I was looking for a street motorcycle converting from dirt. Ended up buying this old school Harley anyway and it has given me nothing but pleasure since.

Gotta Roll the Bones, if you wanna keep things interesting.

Take Care and enjoy teh remainder of your season if it exists.

Greg