Note to New Members ×

Carving runs at Bridger Bowl?

Jrobb

Honestly I don't think Brider is focused on grooming. Supposed to be more of a freeride mountain with excellent hiking opportunities.

If you go to Big Sky I think you'll find plenty of carving terrain and TONS of badass freeride terrain

I believe chadx is in bozeman or that area. check the member list. I've talked to him a few times and he's pretty cool.

I'm a Bridger local and while I love it, I'll be the first to admit there isn't a great selection of good groomed carving runs. There are a few that are good advanced carving fun (Thunder Road off the Pierre's Knob lift and Hanton's Hollow off the Deer Park lift) but the area is really about steep chutes and powder. For beginner carving look at Limestone off the Alpine chair.

FWIW Big Sky is about 1:10 south of Bozeman and bridger is about 15 minutes north of Bozeman. Last I looked a day ticket at Big Sky was about $70 and Bridger is something like $40. I personally think it's worth a day at both areas.

Both Bridger and Big Sky are really fun places to ride but they are very different, Bridger is very much a locals place and it takes a long time to get to know the area and find the stashes of fun trees and chutes. Big Sky is a good bit larger and is much more a destination resort and consequently it's much more expensive. I've spent countless days at both over the years and I prefer riding at Bridger most of the time. For me the real draw of Big Sky is the tram. Real high alpine riding with the views to match. If you go to Big Sky it's worth the ride up the tram for the view even if you don't want to ride down. They are totally cool with folks riding the tram both up and down just for the view.

If you will be riding at Bridger and would like some company for carving or freeriding contact me off list and we'll hook up. I'll most likely be up there most everyday over Christmas week.......one of the benefits of being self employed.

Later,

Dave

P.S. This afternoon it absolutely dumped here in Bozeman and Bridger for a few hours and the hill got some good snow.

Dave whats the smaller hill next to Big Sky...I can't for the life of me think of the name...

isn't it less expensive but still decent terrain/grooming?

There are two areas next to Big Sky. One is Moonlight basin and it's pretty cool. You can get a combined Big Sky - Moonlight ticket that give you access to both. Too much stuff to check out in a day that's for sure.

The other is the Yellowstone Club and your pockets have to be pretty deep to make turns there. I have a friend that skis there as a guest pretty often and when they carve hard and leave trenches a groomer follows them down the hill to get rid of the trenches so others like Warren Miller won't get caught in the groove. I couldn't make this stuff up.

Dave

Good info guys. I'd love to explore Big Sky but this year I think our budget is gonna send us to Bridger.

Dave, I'll get a hold of you off line once I'm up there. Still leaning to hit Bridger on 26th.

I'm not too sure which board to bring along. 4807, A-Frame (can ride anywhere), or my new to me Renntiger I have yet to ride. I really want to get out on the Renn but I don't want to be stuck unable to explore. I could bring all 3 since I'm driving but chances are I'll only use one of them. WHat do you think?

J

Good info guys. I'd love to explore Big Sky but this year I think our budget is gonna send us to Bridger.

Dave, I'll get a hold of you off line once I'm up there. Still leaning to hit Bridger on 26th.

I'm not too sure which board to bring along. 4807, A-Frame (can ride anywhere), or my new to me Renntiger I have yet to ride. I really want to get out on the Renn but I don't want to be stuck unable to explore. I could bring all 3 since I'm driving but chances are I'll only use one of them. WHat do you think?

J

Sounds good. We got well over a foot today and it's still snowing so no matter what there is fun to be had. Check you email for details.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...