Note to New Members ×

Burton Bindings

Bobby Buggs

No, most of these are long gone. I will be selling a few more sets of odds and ends when time , health allows. They will be posted on Ebay.

Thanks, Bryan

oh, I just saw the thread about your leg :(

I Hope your recovery goes well. My best friend, his son and I were out riding two weeks ago and his son broke his femor on our first run of the day... very nasty, required a life-flight.

I agree Petrol. They were great. Most people that "hate" asyms today never rode or raced them when they were new.

Dumping them was a commercial decision, and had nothing to do with riding technique. The board companies were losing money on Asyms. They could never figure out how many goofy/regulars to make each year, and were left at the end of the season with unsold inventory.

A good rider back then (certified PSIA full cert/Level III/pro) did not rock excessively fore/aft on ASYM's any more than good riders do today, contrary to the things that you read online. Intermediate riders had an excessive range of motion fore/aft. Good boarding is about versatility on all equipment, conditions and terrain, not riding all alpine boards the same way just because you perfer to carve trenches in long radius turns on groomed, or love carving 360's. It's fun, but that's easy. It also gets boring after a while.

I agree Petrol. They were great. Most people that "hate" asyms today never rode or raced them when they were new.

Dumping them was a commercial decision, and had nothing to do with riding technique. The board companies were losing money on Asyms. They could never figure out how many goofy/regulars to make each year, and were left at the end of the season with unsold inventory.

A good rider back then (certified PSIA full cert/Level III/pro) did not rock excessively fore/aft on ASYM's any more than good riders do today, contrary to the things that you read online. Intermediate riders had an excessive range of motion fore/aft. Good boarding is about versatility on all equipment, conditions and terrain, not riding all alpine boards the same way just because you perfer to carve trenches in long radius turns on groomed, or love carving 360's. It's fun, but that's easy. It also gets boring after a while.

I would agree, I bought that ole girl 'NOS' for a song after she sat for probably 2-3 years collecting dust at a local shop. She has spent the majority of her life right there on my wall as I've only ridden her a handful of times over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

I brought the ole girl out for a dance and I messed up and didn't give her enough foreplay...

or maybe I should have just rode one of my other boards first to get her excited and ready to go :confused:

Anyway, I think my boot (ole Burton Reactors) tend to grow when hot and shrink when cold... gues what, the boots were hot and when I stepped in the rear binding was to tight and being difficult to close, I forced it and snapped the plastic toe clip :smashfrea

anyone know how I can get a replacement toe clip for an ole Burton variplate :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. You can make the binding functional by using almost any toe lever that goes on and off the bail with a set screw, like the snowpros. It is best to use a toe clip with the wide adjustment screw in the middle for a good boot fit.

The original variplate (5-hole) had a bail that was a slight bit thinner than most. I am not sure about the thickness of the bail that you have, because Burton increased the thickness of the bail in the early 1990's, but I think Burton increased the thickness of the bail before they went to the 3D pattern. If the replacement is a little loose, just wrap a layer of tape around the bail.

As regards a "true replacement", that might be hard to find. During the mid and late 1990s, a lot of riders used the old variplate toe clips on the Burton performance and carrier bindings when the "performance/carrier" toe lever broke/cracked. At one time there were a lot of variplate toe levers around, because many agressive riders snapped the variplate metal cage, but seldom broke the toe lever. You might get lucky. Be Lucky - "ghost"

I actually have a set (that's right-both levers) if you'd like them. I can send them to you for the cost of shipping if you're interested. Email me and I can shoot you a photo so you can see if they're what you want. They are the purple ones from the old 5 hole plate, however. I don't know if the hole diameter is the same. Maybe someone else can help? Let me know.

Ted

I actually have a set (that's right-both levers) if you'd like them. I can send them to you for the cost of shipping if you're interested. Email me and I can shoot you a photo so you can see if they're what you want. They are the purple ones from the old 5 hole plate, however. I don't know if the hole diameter is the same. Maybe someone else can help? Let me know.

Ted

Way To Go Ted!!! Thanks so much for your generous offer. I've sent you an e-mail. :D

• 10 months later...

hi snowghost

sorry to revive an old thread but i meandered over here from your bumps drill thread. thanks for updating that for this year btw. those drills helped me immensely last spring. i am sure they will be helpful again this spring.

reading through your interesting posts i notice you spending an inordinate amount of time tracking down burton style cants (3 and 4 hole.) have you considered making them yourself? i remember following the instructions posted on bomberonline by KENT SMITH about 10 years ago on making the cants out of urethane (the stuff you get at the hardware store to refinish your hardwood floor or skateboard.) you simply poured the urethane into a can or small pail of a sufficient diameter to support your binding and then tilted it at whatever angle you wanted. i remember i made about 20 of them from a cheap can of staledated urethane i found in the clearout bin that cost about 10 bucks. i think the regular price was only about 25 bucks for fresh unyellowed urethane. essentially less than a dollar apiece. granted they were not nearly as nice as the ones you could buy but you couldn’t beat the price. in addition the burton cants were either 3 or 7 degrees but my homemade cants ranged from 2 degrees to 10 degrees so i was able to experiment. the only drawback was the mess and time consuming labour. you had to fully line the container with saran wrap and then a second layer of wax paper to ensure the cant would not stick to the can and would slide out easily after it hardened. then you had to drill 3 or 4 holes depending on whether or not it was a burton board. you didn’t have to get the shape perfect as you could saw it and drill it with normal blades and drill bits afterwards. sanding was a breeze with the only major obstacle being that you had to grind down the bolts to the proper length as you simply attached your binding with extra long screws through the cant and directly into the inserts. you also had extra flexibility in that you could orient the cant anyway you wanted--traditionally down the centerline or at the binding angle for lift only or whatever just like a td2/td3.

i also agreed with your post that the snowboard industry’s decision to discontinue asyms as being purely mercenary and had nothing to do with performance. actually I tried to custom order an asym from PRIOR about 11 years ago but he politely informed me that he didn’t have any molds and started proselytizing about the virtues of symmetrical snowboards. i also emailed COILER about an asym but he never returned my email—probably thought i was a hoax lol.

when making TIGHT turns on STEEP slopes i believe ASYMS ARE SUPERIOR TO SYMS if ridden with 45ish degree angles and the proper technique—this is just my PERSONAL opinion so please heed this qualifier and try to refrain from flaming me. i thought a fellow asym aficionado such as you would appreciate seeing pics of my well maintained asym. IT IS NOT FOR SALE. i have never resold any of my boards and if i were forced to at gunpoint this would be the very last board on earth that i would part with (and i have a lot of boards lol.)

i hope you enjoy viewing the pics as much as i enjoy riding this board--i am the original owner and have waxed this board every 6 months religiously since 1997 and try not to ride it more than twice a year as it is my last remaining burton fp asym and i hope to make it last as long as possible. this 1997 model year was particularly durable as it is in way better shape than my 1998 model (also not for sale—sorry i know you were looking for a 1998 in the classifieds) and 1999 model. too bad fp asym slalom boards were discontinued in 1999.

btw i noticed that you also bought some old symmetrical slalom boards on the classifieds. perhaps i could give you a lead on what maybe an exceptional slalom board. i remember about 10 years ago bomberonline member CHRIS HOUGHTON posting that he had one of IAN HADGKISS’ old 155 cm slalom boards. i have 2 of IAN’S old GS boards and believe they are among the finest prior boards around. maybe it was because IAN actually worked at the factory and snuck some extra care into the building of his boards? bottom line being that they rode way better than the stock priors in my quiver and other prior team boards that my friends have managed to acquire. i only ride them once or twice a year when there is good snow but they are just as good today as when i first bought them over 10 years ago. i would think that CHRIS HOUGHTON’S slalom board would be of similar quality if he still has it. perhaps you could make him an offer (since i do see listings from him on the classifieds upon checking his profile) or find out what he did with it?

assymbot.jpg

assymcamber.jpg

assym13.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been busy this time of year and there has not been enough time to keep in touch with bomber friends or get back to the persons I wanted to. Nice pics and thanks for the tips and comments - hope the revised bumps tips helped you.

Thanks, and best regards - "ghost"