Note to New Members ×

Head Stratos pro boot-fitting questions

queequeg

I have a pair of head stratos pros, and they are comfy in every regard but one - my toes are too tight. When I initially got them, I thought the toes were too tight but I wasn't sure, I brought them to surefoot and they made me some custom insoles, that relieved some of the pressure in my toes. I still felt they were tight but the people there recommended that I wait it out for awhile and see what the boots felt like after a few days of riding. Yesterday at Killington was their fourth day, and I think it's safe to say the toes are too tight. As I understand it, boots can be punched out or ground out - which method is better (for the Stratos Pro) and why? My big toe is the problem, it's bigger than normal.

Guest AllMountain

i had exactly the same fit issue with the stratos pros. my boot-fitter did a little grinding, but it wasn't enough. then he heated the boot and enlarged the toe area with a heavy metal device that slightly stretched the heated plastic (i assume that's what you mean by "punch out"). that completely fixed the big toe hot spot.

i had exactly the same fit issue with the stratos pros. my boot-fitter did a little grinding, but it wasn't enough. then he heated the boot and enlarged the toe area with a heavy metal device that slightly stretched the heated plastic (i assume that's what you mean by "punch out"). that completely fixed the big toe hot spot.

Great Info! Thanks Alot!

You may be able to simply fix the problem by re-molding the liners while wearing a toe-cap. If you aren't familiar with this, look at the threads about toe caps under the posts about cooking Thermoflex or Intuition liners. Basically you put a neoprene cap over your toes, then put on a thin sock, then heat and remold the liners. This will make it really tight during the few minutes of the molding process, but should give you a little extra room. If that's not successful, then try punching out the toe box.

Important Note: Head liners are not heated/molded in the same way as Thermoflex/Intuition liners. Do not throw them in the Raichle oven.

I had the same problem and it took two years for me to finally get it right. Bootfitters on both coasts (StartingGate in VT to Squaw) added junk, heated and tried everything. We finally took the liner out and there was a plastic boot sole in the shell that had this wall built on the toes to keep the liner back. I don't know how to explain it but we ground it off and its been better ever since. Bob Dea looked at them and could probably explain it better.