Note to New Members ×

Springs on 1st generation TD1s?

SnowSpeedster

I have a pair of original (I think) TD1s that have no springs on the rear bails.

Are springs available for these or am I stuck with surgical tubing and duct tape?

I matched them up with some 10mm Bomber lift blocks I found on Ebay (With existing indents for springs) and they were awesome on an Oxygen FR57 I found at a pawn shop!

Not too worried about the horror stories of boards snapping etc. from the original TD1 discs, as I'm only 140 lbs.

The binders have no bumpers on them either. Any input there?

Thanks,

Charles

post-241-141842243763_thumb.jpg

If you can find the right size nitrile rubber O ring at an auto parts store, it works to stiffen the rear bail enough to let you get in without flopping around. It has to be just a bit larger than the shoulder bolt OD, and you just need one for each bail (or if you're really bucks up you could go for 2). Just squash it in between the end joint and the body of the binding. You also should look around for the BAD system for those (Bomber Adjustable Damping) in yellow or purple.

Charles, we talked about this?

Please don't mess up these vintage Bombers.

No, they did not have springs and Bomber doesn't offer a spring for these.

If they did it would have to envolve the block and turnbuckle, therefore costing more than it would be worth (my guess)

You want a pair of Burton Bindings or Snow Pros to leave those alone?

I have a pair or two there in Denver for you?

PLEASE , they are your's of course, just don't cut , drill or do anything to damage them? Please? Thanks, Bryan

If you can find the right size nitrile rubber O ring at an auto parts store, it works to stiffen the rear bail enough to let you get in without flopping around. It has to be just a bit larger than the shoulder bolt OD, and you just need one for each bail (or if you're really bucks up you could go for 2). Just squash it in between the end joint and the body of the binding. You also should look around for the BAD system for those (Bomber Adjustable Damping) in yellow or purple.

Chris, I think I have a set of "BAD" in an original package.

These don't even have screw holes for them. Never did.

They also have the smaller diameter base, better at breaking boards you know!:smashfrea

I am quickly realizing my original thought of "Don't bring attention to these" was probably smarter than what I am doing this very moment. :nono::eplus2: :(

I am secretly pumping these so Charles makes a couple hundred dollars on these and has an extra good Christmas!! :1luvu:

I found these Bombers mounted on a Nidecker asym at a pawn shop for TWENTY BUCKS!!!!...(What was that sound? ...Bryan fainting?)

:lol:

Okay,... here's the deal on my Bombers.

I get $1,000 in my PayPal account by midnight, December 24th or I TAKE A GRINDER TO THE BOMBERS!!! Muah ha ha ha ha! :eplus2:

No campers,....they are NOT for sale...this season, anyway.

B-Man, Old SnowPros and Burtons, I have already.

How bout I trade you the Bombers for that Beavis n' Butthead board?

...Nah! Changed my mind!

:lol:

-Charles

Charles, we talked about this?

Please don't mess up these vintage Bombers.

No, they did not have springs and Bomber doesn't offer a spring for these.

If they did it would have to envolve the block and turnbuckle, therefore costing more than it would be worth (my guess)

You want a pair of Burton Bindings or Snow Pros to leave those alone?

I have a pair or two there in Denver for you?

PLEASE , they are your's of course, just don't cut , drill or do anything to damage them? Please? Thanks, Bryan

We talked about this???? I don't remember.......I'm 52, B-Man. I can't even remember who my wife and kids are half the time!

-Charles

Don't be suprised if you snap a board with those bindings because without bumpers the pressure is not distributed well enough to keep this from happening. Even though you are light weight you still might be able to put enough pressure on the bindings to snap a board. Go to the hardbooter.com website and watch the video size doesn't matter and watch Billy Bordy snap a board when he rides the Bomber binding without the bumpers. The bumpers keep you from having too much leverage on the disc and rocking the binding backward or fowards when you are turning the board. I would reccomend not using these bindings as a safety issue. I know I have had snow pros explode and a nasty wreck because of it!

I'd use them, but I'd put a sheet of (roughly) 15cm x 15cm UHMW, about 1/2" thick, in between the discs and the topsheet. And some appropriately long mounting bolts of course. Ghetto riser plates with better force distribution.

If there is a shop like this in your area....

http://www.tapplastics.com/

...then $15 should get you a couple of pieces cut to spec while you wait. You'll probably have to drill holes for the binding mounting bolts, but they might even do that too. If not, plain old drill bits work fine, they just produce confetti instead of sawdust.

When I did this I swiss-cheesed the plate using 1" and 1/2" bits, trying to save weight, but I was surprised how little weight all those holes actually saved.

For extra style points, see if they will cut discs for you rather than squares.

I did this years ago, to mount 4x4 bindings on a pre-4x4 board, and it worked well. I will probably do it again when my current rock board bites the dust, and its TS1-SIs need a new home. It had bumpers on it now, but I think making risers would be less trouble than fidding with the bumpers with every stance change.

Did I mention that I'm also tempting fate, my board and my own butt by using 10mm aluminum risers on the toe and heel plates of the TD1s?

Those risers put your carves on steroids!!! :1luvu:

I will definitely put some kind of buffer between the board and the discs before my next outing though, because the TD 1s were ridden in fairly soft (new) groomed snow and am sure that the g-forces will be hideously higher on boiler plate at 40 mph.

-Charles