Note to New Members ×

Oh the Joy....oh the Horror

Gecko

well first day out this year was really nice. I can't believe how much fun I had riding with Andrew (xxguitarist)at our little hill. Too many skidders making useless hits on the side of the trail since the Trauma park has yet to open but it was quite nice just turning laps and having fun with another hardbooter....question of the day "Is that a snowboard?" answer "Yes for people who like to turn"

I think its strange that I can get so much pleasure out of such small simple hill but quantity over quality can be addictive :1luvu:

It sounds like fun, but I rather doubt I've got the skill, funds, or time for it!

Skill - not necessarily needed...it runs the gamut at these regional races.

Time - I undertand that completetely, but the races ARE on weekends.

Funds - that's the killer...racing is expensive. Heck, it has forced me to get a full-time job! ;)

Yep, a real mountains lift tickets are bad enough for someone on a college students budget, and I'm currently riding a setup that cost me around 350 total I think..

There are no spiffy new coilers or doneks in my immediate future, but I'm having fun anyways:biggthump

I understand - and then race entry fees and travel add even more.

But just so you don't think that you need the best equipment to race, if you decide to try it in the future, here is what my current race equipment, which I won my age group at the USASA Nationals on last year, cost me:

Burton Reactor Boots $80

Hot Blast 160 Slalom Board $150

Burton "race stock" Factory Prime GS board $250

Burton Raceplate GS bindings $105

F2 Race Titanium SL bindings $130

As you can see - Coiler and Doneks, or Kesslers and the like, are not necessary to race, or to do well. They don't hurt of course; but don't think you can't race because you are not on top of the line equipment! :biggthump

Wavechaser,this is very encouraging as I intend to get started again this season.I've won my age group at nats and worlds in velodrome racing on mostly used stuff,but it definitely helps to know how the equipment will perform,ie research/reviews etc.Thanks.Steve

Cool...congrats on your velodrome results! I thought about going to Open Class this year, especially since I'm pre-qualified for Nationals and wouldn't need to win my regional series in Open Class to go (could be tough) - but I wouldn't really want to compete in USASA Open unless I had top-notch, or at least better, equipment...so maybe next season now that I have a better paying job. It's all fun and one heck of a good time either way! :)