Note to New Members ×

coufusing effective edge length...need clarification

Guest naj

i got a board where it says it has a 155 effective edge.

however when i measured it using that insert-papper-under-the-board-method, i it measured 150

BUT

when i tilted the board sideways (around 50 degrees sideways), the effevtive edge now measured 155

question:

which is my real effective edge length?

The first method doesn't take the camber in to account... Which when you're on it and making a turn, the board should be decambered and that changes things again...

But I have a feeling I know what accounts for the 5cm. The effective edge isn't the measurement between the nose and tail straight away, it's the arc-length between the two, or the measurement along the edge between the nose and tail. A straight line is the shortest distance between two points, but unless your board has a near infinite scr, the edge distance will be longer than the straight distance.

The effective edge isn't the measurement between the nose and tail straight away, it's the arc-length between the two, or the measurement along the edge between the nose and tail. A straight line is the shortest distance between two points, but unless your board has a near infinite scr, the edge distance will be longer than the straight distance.
x2
which is my real effective edge length?

You effective edge is 155cm.

Why detune? I'll take all of the edge that I can get.

i don't really like the hooky feeling when exiting a turn and the sudden turn initiation...i'm not gonna take of a lot of edge though

but ok i know wher ur going at...

however, if i want to find the center of the board so i could set up the bindings properly, which of the two measured lengths should i use?

...will i detune on the point where the paper made contact with the edge with the first or second method?

do not detune.......

that hooky feeling is probably due to other issues, could be rider related or stance issues. the last board I detuned was a 190 I was trying to manage on terrain that we had no intent on opening because the snow was that bad.

I in recent years have stopped detuning because CMC and a PSR told me so

they were right.

i don't really like the hooky feeling when exiting a turn and the sudden turn initiation...i'm not gonna take of a lot of edge though

but ok i know wher ur going at...

however, if i want to find the center of the board so i could set up the bindings properly, which of the two measured lengths should i use?

Don't detune...you simply need to bevel the the edge. If you want you can bevel only a little bit of the tail edge. Say from 2cm inside widepoint to 15cm from widepoint. Bevel the base edge to 1deg more than what it's at now. This will be harder to maintain than setting the entire edge (base edge and then side edge) to 1 and 1 (1deg base, 1deg side).

Detuneing is simply dulling the edge and that's not great for a freerider.

J