Note to New Members ×

Set up for Donek Axxess??

Guest Snowcarvr

Guest Snowcarvr

hello im about to order a Donek Axxess. I would like to know what kind of boots i should buy and what kind of bindings?

If this question has been asked could you send me a link. I also would like to apologize if this has been answered before

could someone help

thanks

mike

That is a pretty big question.

If you provide more information about yourself, you will likely get some answers.

Are you a first time hardbooter? What other equipment have you ridden? Do you have a budget? What size are you? Shoe size? Wide or narrow feet? Will you carve on groomers or ride it all over the mountain?

Buell

Guest Snowcarvr
That is a pretty big question.

If you provide more information about yourself, you will likely get some answers.

Are you a first time hardbooter? What other equipment have you ridden? Do you have a budget? What size are you? Shoe size? Wide or narrow feet? Will you carve on groomers or ride it all over the mountain?

Buell

Hello thanks for responding. Im 185ibs and I'm 5"11. I will be riding this board on ice, crud and groomed runs. My friend just bought the axxess last year but he is on soft boots. I had the pleasure last year to ride the axxess all season and i had a great time. Like i said im about ready to buy but im new to the hard boots and kind of new to carving. I wear a size 13 in my snowboots i have now.

Well what i would like to know whats a good set up for this type of board? Will i be able to carve on the axxess if i buy a hard boot set up? Im not looking for any extreme carving yet but i think this board will be perfect for me to start off with..

Any suggestions will be great.

Mike

Hey Snowcarvr,

I'm setting up my first board, an Axxess 183 with a 21.5 waist and I also ride a size 13 boot (I'm riding Burton Furnaces 30.5). I'm 6'3" and around 220. Now I'm new to hardbooting (I'll be falling all over Wachesetts next Tuesday if all goes according to plan) but there are a few discussions going on that should help you out around setup and "ridability" of the Axxess. For what it is worth, I think I can get my angles to around 45/40 without any overhang.

The following quote came from this thread.

Been Riding An Axis 177 for 2 1/2 years weigh 210 lbs and have only demo'ed the Prior. I found the Prior to be more lively but not as stable while carving, and a little quicker in the tighest of trees. I agree with this statement made by Sean at Donek: "I think the major difference between the Axis and 4X4 is how we weighted the powder vs carving performance. When I designed the Axis, I build a board that could go anywhere, but I looked at the frequency I felt many riders would see hard pack vs powder. I felt that the hardpack won out in most cases. As a result the Axis was designed to be a carving board that can do trees. I think the 4X4 is more of a powder/tree board for carvers. Chris might say it a bit differently, but the flex on the 4X4 is a bit softer than the Axis." Hope this helps and Thor is a great person to work with, looking foward to seeing you on the hill Buell, Kipp

You should also take a look at this discussion.

Axis Discussion

Guest Snowcarvr
Hey Snowcarvr,

I'm setting up my first board, an Axxess 183 with a 21.5 waist and I also ride a size 13 boot (I'm riding Burton Furnaces 30.5). I'm 6'3" and around 220. Now I'm new to hardbooting (I'll be falling all over Wachesetts next Tuesday if all goes according to plan) but there are a few discussions going on that should help you out around setup and "ridability" of the Axxess. For what it is worth, I think I can get my angles to around 45/40 without any overhang.

The following quote came from this thread.

You should also take a look at this discussion.

Axis Discussion

Thats great ... thanks so much for this link this will help me out

mike

Snowcarvr, the single most important equipment choice you can make is to get the right set of boots, and the top 3 considerations are fit, fit, and fit. (OK, maybe fit, fit, and flex).

If you haven't been to www.alpinecarving.com (The Carver's Almanac by Scott Firestone) please spend some time reading before you buy your boots. In summary - there are 3 brands available new in North America:

-Deeluxe - 3 models - available here at the Bomber store

-Head - one model, Stratos Pro (they may have other models that are less available) - available here at the Bomber store

-UPZ - one model, plus last years's closeouts, available at www.upzboots.com

If you're near a store that carries hardboots you should try them on in person. Where are you located? Once you have got your boots, if they don't feel quite right, go see a bootfitter. Scott's site tal;ks in more detail about that as well.

Like I said, it's got a 22.5 waist, not the standard 21.5 (see the Nyberg Axxess 183 on the Donek Spec sheet). I'm just reading the angle off the TD1 bindings. If it's not 45, it's pretty close.

:D

Size 13 boots and 45 degree angles without any overhang is not possible on an Axxess, maybe 50 ... certainly 55.

Like I said, it's got a 22.5 waist, not the standard 21.5 (see the Nyberg Axxess 183 on the Donek Spec sheet). I'm just reading the angle off the TD1 bindings. If it's not 45, it's pretty close.

:D

Oops, I missed the part about the 22.5cm waist, sorry :(

You know, I've waited for a long time to be a big know-it-all and now this! Drat!

Sorry to be the one to step in the way of your dream...:rolleyes: Yeah, the added waist was one of the more attractive things about buying Mort Myberg's custom board. With boots this big, most alpine boards feel almost like a Skwal by the time I take off the overhang. My first mistake in setting up a carving board to was picking up a used Donek FC 1 (very narrow). I think I'll be putting it back up for sale shortly.

Cheers

Oops, I missed the part about the 22.5cm waist, sorry :(

You know, I've waited for a long time to be a big know-it-all and now this! Drat!