Note to New Members ×

info on Granite Peak ?

skipsilvia

We'll I'm originally from Green Bay and my opinion is Granite Peak is much better than Cascade. Cascade's runs are narrow unlike Granite Peak's. Granite Peak also has a detachable high speed 6-chair lift. Cascade is either flat or steep and narrow. Granite Peak's snow is usually very good. There are a ton of ski racers at Cascade and I'm sure they like the tight fallline turns.

I used to ride at Devils Head when I was in school in Madison. The runs arent very steep but are fun. I'd definately choose Granite Peak for that part of the midwest...then maybe Marquette Mtn in the very upper penninsula as there snow and terrain is top notch but it is 3+ hrs north of Green Bay.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the post. Glad to see there is other interest at Granite Peak. I met a couple there last year (and he was a carver). Very few carvers there.

We'll be there one or two days somewhere between Dec 27th and 29th. I'll send more info just before Christmas.

You going to be at the session this year in Aspen?...were you there last year or other years?

As mentioned, I live right on Granite Peak - you can see my house as you ride up the 6pax hi-speed lift. Just moved in this summer and cleared the trail so I can walk thru my backyard and get on the hill right under the lift.

I divide my time between Hard boots (My primary love!), Tele ski's, and now a Teleboard this year. Gave-up the alpine skis many years ago. Just moved to the area couple years ago. Hard to beat Granite Peak in the Midwest. I have young children so unable to go as much as I wanted last year. Will be out several times a week this year.

Any carvers visiting the area would be a welcome change. Didn't ride with any last year.

Let me know,

Bill

I'll be looking for you!

Went yesterday. They have very impressive snowmaking considering only a couple days of cold weather and no natural snow. Unfortunately, only a couple runs open. But quite adequate for some early season carving. Nature should be more help this week.

I'll have a yellow and black jacket with black helmet - likely the only one carving. Do my best to be out for first tracks/trenches.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Bill,

We're coming up to GreenBay on Wed and are going to hit Granite Peak on Thursday, Friday, and Sat (Dec 27-29). I'm getting online tickets today.

Will have my 2 and 4 year old kids as well as my Mom and Wife for Thurs and Friday. Will be spending some time with my kids on Thurs and Friday on the hill (both are skiing....yes, the 2 year old skis...just turned 2 last week..amazing). I may be going by myself on Friday so I'll be carving that whole day.

Forest Green north Face coat and black pants...Donek boards. Hope to see you there. Are you going to Aspen this year? I ride 99% of the time the runs around the 6 passenger lift..Merry Christmas!

Mike

• 11 months later...

Conditions are very good though a little cold. Should be better Wed. On-Call/Working on Wed so I won't make it out :freak3:

And I'm waiting for my new FinTec heels - sold my intecs with my boots - new setup this year. I'm stuck skiing until they get here.

Able to carve with a few folks last year. All welcome and contact me if possible. I'll try and provide appropriate hardboot hospitallity.

Great time tonight. I hung out mainly on Miracle. The snow was good and it held a great edge. I really was able to push myself (the most in three years of hardboots).

I was excited because tonight I had a lot of breakthroughs riding. I think I am finally getting the hand of the hardboots. Toe sides were good, heal sides still need some work.

Glad you had a good night. New snow and great snowmaking efforts - conditions should be very good. For those who haven't tried Granite Peak I would encourage all to give it a chance. I've skiied or carved throughout the midwest and I think we have about the best available. Sure, it isn't the mountains but it's accessible and well run.

I have 6 weeks planned out west this year :) Try to make SES for a day or two. Big winter for me. Still have a season pass at Granite Peak; contact me here if you're coming!