Note to New Members ×

Dry Base - What to do ?

Louis

When hot waxing your board, do you use a specific iron or the one for clothes is good enough ?

You can use one of those old irons without the steam. You need to be very carefull though not to damage the base because of high temperature. If you use this kind of iron pay attention to the wax. As soon as you see the wax smoking lower the wax temp or let it cool down a bit.

The good thing about using a ski/snowboard specific iron is that the temperature will not rise above a certain temperature and you don't have to worry about things like that.

Clothes irons seam (ha ha) to have pretty bad temperature regulation. It will be fine one second and smoking like a banchee the next..... then cold. But if you keep an eye on it you will be ok.

Wax specific ones are slower to heat up but have a thicker plate, that and better electronics give you a better behaving iron.

Nils,

I have been told in the past by several team techs that heating a cold board really stresses the glue and materal around the inserts becuase the metal changes tempature at a different rate then the board.

After ripping inserts out of boards I had waxed right after riding I now always let the board warm up a bit (to room temp) then wax it. :biggthump

yes makes sense with metal dilatation not equal to resin's..did not think of this aspect!...unfortunately my garage is out of heating..and i cant take my boards to the leaving room :)... i have equipped the 'tuning ' part of the garage with a IR heating that provides a warm feel... we'll see if it is ok for warming up...

I'm going to try also the big cardbox " oven" it could be a solution to get the air at 30-40 Celcius on the board before waxing..

N

Clothes irons seam (ha ha) to have pretty bad temperature regulation. It will be fine one second and smoking like a banchee the next..... then cold. But if you keep an eye on it you will be ok.

Wax specific ones are slower to heat up but have a thicker plate, that and better electronics give you a better behaving iron.

If you can find an iron with a bare metal plate, use that. Waxing has been known to peel off bits of non-stick coatings on some irons.

As has been mentioned, if the wax is smoking, the iron's too hot!

press on... and don't use fluoro waxes without excellent ventilation!