Note to New Members ×

Driving to Bozeman for Christmas...

Jrobb

The family and I will be driving up to Bozeman for Christmas from the Bay Area. Is there anything specific to look out for that would make the trip a nightmare? Are there any particular roads to stay away from due to frequent closures?

We normally use my 2wd pickup as our snowmobile and just throw chains on when needed. Is this a realistic option for getting there and getting around Bozeman and say to and from Bridger or Big Sky?

My gf may be buying a Subbie before the trip. In that case I'm not too worried about the getting around part. Why drive you say? We are bringing our pups along since we don't want to board them for the holiday.

I haven't planned our route just yet but I'm thinking head to SLC on 80 then North on 15 and then 90.

Any thoughts?

J

Good route. Monida pass on I-85 and the pass just east of Butte on I-80 should be your only real problems...unless it is windy then the whole Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana thing can be tricky... If you are driving a 2wd truck up make sure you have at least a couple hundred pounds of weight in the back to keep pressure on the traction wheels. Chains can make the difference between going over a pass or being required to hunker-down.

I wish you a safe and uneventfull trip.

Bozeman is a great town. Big Sky and Bridger are both great areas, hard to compare the two they are very different.

Have fun!

Thanks Doc and dred, I always carry chains when I go into the Mtns...even in summer.

If we use my truck (2wd) I'll have probably 2pairs in case one breaks (been there before). Weight in the back shouldn't be bad, I'll have both of our 80lb labs in there with their fluffy beds and blankets. probably 3decks-4 decks and maybe a cargo box on racks on the shell.

Sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. If any one else wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

We may spend most time at Bridger, then hit Big Sky or Sun Valley on the way back. May stop over in Tahoe too to visit some buds there for New Years...we'll see.

J