Note to New Members ×

Race to the cup, should I race it?

DiveBomber

Im new to the racing scene, Im wondering if I should do this race or not?

Im not sure how the scoring/point or what ever works, but do you get anything at all for just finishing?

Im going to try some of the USASA races too. I definately want to do all the BX races I can.

Is there any other forum for Snowboard racers? This board is pretty slow.

You may not be able to take part in the first event if you do not have your membership in order. Check out the Q&A below. There are some links to the membership pages below as well.

Q. How long does it take to get a membership processed?

Depending on the time of the competition season, it can take up to two weeks from the time we receive the paperwork in our office. Memberships are processed in the order received. Please submit your application early, allowing ample time before your event to insure that your membership is processed.

Q. Can I sign up at an event on the day of the race?

Some event organizers do let you sign up on the day of the race, but there is no guarantee. It is much better to submit the paperwork directly to us to avoid problems and delays in the processing.

Q. Do I need to add the Rush Fee?

If you need your membership processed quickly you have the option of including a rush fee of $25, which will insure that it is processed within one-two business days. The rush fee only applies to processing of the membership. There is no option to rush the delivery of a membership card or bonus packs. However, once processed you may download a membership verification letter by clicking here. Click on the highlighted membership number that will appear. This will bring up the verification letter, which you can print.

FAQ Link:

http://www.ussa.org/magnoliaPublic/ussa/en/formembers/membership/faq/generalfaq.html

New Member Information

http://www.ussa.org/magnoliaPublic/ussa/en/formembers/membership/becomeamember.html

First, what you need for an FIS sanctionned race is a FIS membership. This will take you few days. RTTC ( or other Noram races ) is FIS sanctionned.

FIS points are giving to the first 90% of the racers finishing the course. For example, if you have 53 racers, 3 of them are disqualified ( missing gate ) than out of 50 racers finishing the course, only the first 45 will receive FIS points.

The Parallel Slalom race formula is always the same, first 2 runs for qualification, fastest combine time will rank the racers, then top 16 goes head-to-head. So for a while, you make 2 runs per event.

Seb

You can probably get everthing in order the day before the event. I would just get your USSA and FIS stuf together ASAP then go for it.

There should be the best riders in North America there. Go prove how fast you are. :biggthump

that doesnt really help :(

I call the race guy there, Jeff White, He said he recommend against it, as my first event, let alone I havent been up yet this year, He said the conditions suck and they are packed, wouldnt get to ride the course.

so im not sure

I don't ever want to discourage someone, I would probably wait until you get a few USASA races under your belt first. That said, I would definitely head up to watch the races, like the PGA, These guys are good. You can definitely learn something just wacthing them on course.

Have you ever been in a race course before? Have you ever had any training?

with what nermack and leew said. I would recommend saving your dough, go to the event, watch and talk with as many people as you can to learn whtat goes on at the events. You will be overwhelmed trying this as a first event. Check to see if there is still a Copper Masters Snowboard team, learn, enter some local usasa events then think about it for next year.

Good luck at the events this season!

ink

You pay to play and if you want to get better you pretty much need a coach. That said S. McCarron has been at Copper for many years and is a good instructor/coach.

Don't forget, you will get out of it what you put into it. Some drills may seem dorky when you have to do them but will make you a better in the long term. Listen well, ask questions, take notes, train hard and watch others. I think that Dustin Sysko and Jessie Hazen ride with Sean and do real well locally. Not sure about nationally.

The majority of the racers out there do it because they love it and have a negative bank account due to training, travel, lodging, and food. In many instances of snowboarding the equipment is the lowest cost. It sure was for me.

Ink

The majority of the racers out there do it because they love it and have a negative bank account due to training, travel, lodging, and food. In many instances of snowboarding the equipment is the lowest cost. It sure was for me.

Ink

Ugh. I got broke pretty bad last year on this race program i participated, but I tell you its real real real worth the money, no doubt.