Note to New Members ×

bachelor?

D-Sub

Hey all

I searched and didnt find anything but quick mentions of this hill.

Im looking to get out of California, and somewhere closer to a good mountain.

cant afford to buy in a resort town, and would like to live somewhere semi-happenin.

Bend is affordable, and Bachelor looks and sounds good. My only concern is a possible lack of freeride features due to the shape of the mountain...

anyone with experience there, feel free to pipe in!

good groomers? varied enough freeride terrain?

couldnt care less about parks really, altho theyre fun sometimes.

whats the snow like there? the weather? like all ski resorts, they make it sound like its sunny all the time, yet somehow they manage to get 300+ inches of snow a year:)

thanks all!

I really like bachelor... it's got some good terrain, particularly in bounds tree riding on the NW side of the mountain, and to someone used to california resorts it's probibly going to feel empty even on a busy weekend. I've never done it, but I hear the out of bounds lines on the backside of the mountain are great. Snow when I've been there has typically been very good... dryer and looser than the snow we get here on Mt Hood.

But, it's not all perfect. Although they've got some good long black runs, if you're looking for expert steeps, chutes, cliff drops and the that sort of scarry stuff, then you might find it a little flat. Bachelor summit is usually trapped in it's own little cloud, so I find overcast skies are more common than bluebird, at least until spring hits. The upside of that is they seem to get a consistant "little bit o fresh" throughout the season. As I said, snow is typically good, but they've got there down days like anywhere else. I've been there when it was hard frozen chalk, and I've been there when it was deep goopy mash potatoe crap. I also only go out there for weekend trips, and I hear that my favorite parts of the resort are often closed weekdays (Outback and NW Express).

Bend seems kinda small to me, but it's got more going for it than a resort town. It's surprisingly cheap too, if you're confident you can get a job you like there.

I love Bachelor for weekend trips, and I'd consider spending a season there as a bum for sure. If I was relocating permanantly I think I'd look hard at some other locations, particularly places like tahoe, outskirts of seattle or summit county where I could live within a couple hours of a lot of interesting resorts.

ewwwwww alma!

:)

thats a bit further away from a hill than Id like to be.

cant you find me a place in breck for say..dunno...$200k?

3br, 2ba with a basement:)

just kiddin. Appreciate the input, and have looked in Alma. You are right, it is affordable, but...last I passed through there it didnt really appeal.

Youve lived in Bend, eh?

Guest Randy S.

Doug Dryer moved up there from Tahoe a couple of years ago. He's an awesome carver and loves the hill. He gives carving lessons and sells equipment from his house in Bend (in addition to his Wordworking "day" job). I was there last weekend and its a nice place. As Jason points out, it often has a cloud over it that prevents the summit from opening, but when they did open the summit on Sunday, it was incredible. There's a carving run from the summit thats very long, smooth and has a consistent pitch the whole way down. Downtown Bend to Bachelor is less than 30 minutes and its an easy drive. You can find Doug's profile in the member list and email him from there.

Guest Randy S.

Here's part of the view from the top of Bachelor. I'm about to go carve up that virgin bowl right behind me. It goes treeless all the way down to the flat spot you see. Very long. I made at least 10 turns in the 1/2 mile run. The tracks looked very cool when I looked back up. 210 SG boards make great off-piste tools!

post-68-141842197092_thumb.jpg

my 2 cents. Govy's cool if youre wanting to be close to the metropolis (Portland) and still be able to ride. Govy = Government Camp. As for the price range, I would say go down to Pine Grove (not sure if I got it right).

Bend.. totally rocks for "Family" atmosphere the last time I read Mountain Life magazine. Haven't been to Mt Bachelor, but I like Bend.

Colorado. Ha. I live out in Eagle. Its not too bad, and it is possible to find 200k house. half an hour to Vail, hour and 15 to Breck.

If I was to start a family and be able to ride all the time, Ill prolly pick Govy/Eagle.

eagle, eh?

always figured it was expensive there. Ill poke around a bit

thanks for the input.

sure would be nice to be that close to so many hills, and with the summit pass being so cheap

heck even steamboat is an easy drive from there. Id love to live back in CO again, no doubt