Note to New Members ×

Klug Camp?

gawdzira

Went in spring of '02 (actually signed up for the camp before the 2002 Olympics!). A very positive experience for me. Klug and the coaching staff there were very helpful and fun to train with. Plenty of one on one as well (not very many alpine riders there at that time). Got to work with Klug, Chris Karol (remember him?), Ben Fairchild, and Ian Price. All very qualified, experienced professional riders. The only issue I had, and it really turned out ok, was that there wasn't too much snow in Aspen at the time of the camp - SPARSE coverage in many spots! They always hold it late March/early April (in conjunction with the "Spring Jam" thingy). There will probably be more this year. Still highly recommended!

Kirk

Thanks for the info Kirk. The photos on the website mostly show young kids. I guess I should not be too concerned because when I am snowboarding I sometimes go to a teenagers emotional level but my body is going to be 41 years old soon. Were there any, let us say, chronologically mature riders when you attended the camp?

alan

uh, I mean chronologically mature riders? You bet! I was 32 at the time and there were probably 3 or 4 (off the top of my head) guys there that were at least my age or older. One guy was in his early fifties. Chris Karol was something like 37 at the time. The balance was made up of snot-nosed, spoiled-ass... uh, I mean, youth. Actually, some of 'em were pretty cool too. There were a few that were pretty close to my earlier description. I raced against a couple of kids that took on the dual GS that place 1st and 2nd at nationals (13-14 year olds) - Wow! Good riders. Got beat once by one of those little bas... uh, young men, by a nose (not timing the runs).

Alan, all joking aside, it was a good experience. Good coaching and GS and SL runs all day every day if you want, Freecarve when you want - they will ask you "so, what ya gonna work on this run?", stuff like that. It really helped to clean up my freecarving and was the first time training gates in a long time. I thought about heading up again this year, but time and $ are in short supply. Good luck.

Kirk