Note to New Members ×

Advice needed re upgrading my equipment!

vitger

Hi guys!

I've been snowboarding for the past 14 years now although I am still splitting up most of my days between skiing and snowboarding and not having too many days on the snow per season. I consider myself pretty good so thought about upgrading my pretty basic equipment. I have an old (quite wide) board 162 cm and was wondering if I should go for a 170 or a 178 cm carver? I think I pretty much have "outgrown" this one. I also like to hit the powder whenever I have the chance (not too often) so I imagine a little longer board wouldn't hurt.

Now I am 5'10 and 160 pounds the skinny type. Which size do you more experienced guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

BG

hey, check out my thread that I just started. there will be some good advice. (already is)

since youre smaller, you can get on a slightly smaller board and have fun

if you want to ride in all conditions you probably want an all mountain or "freecarve" board.

after someone suggested PRIOR boards, I took a look. They make one called a 4X4 that is designed to go pretty much anywhere.

COILER has an all-purpose model as well. cant remember the name.

also, keep in mind that a good freeride board (or ...now they have "BX" models) with plates and hardboots might suit you well also.

heh. look at the newbie layin down advice:)

I started on a carving set up last year after 10 years of riding softies at high angles. I was riding a freeride 163 board mostly and then started riding a 169 carving board that is on the softer and more forgiving side for carving boards (Burton Alps). Then I demoed a Donek fc11 I think it was a 171). The size difference was not that great but the stiffness was extreme. Be careful in buying your first carving board. I am not trying to buy that Oxygen but I would caution you against trying to hop on a 178 right out of the gate. You can still do graceful carving on a shorter board, it is just easier to do it.

I ended up finding a Nidecker 161 slalom board that I am just starting to be able to make some use out of. I really like the short board.

One thing that you can be sure of, if you buy a board and out grow it, you have a captive audience for resale here on Bomber.

alan