Note to New Members ×

Powder Boards: Malolo v. NS Summit?

Guest kimchijajonshim

Guest kimchijajonshim

Anyone ridden both of these boards? I've heard great things about the both of them, but not much in the way of side by side comparisons.

I was hankering for a pow board, so I picked up the Malolo 162 for $300 out the door from a local shop, but a couple days later I saw a great deal for a Neversummer Summit 161 on ebay that i couldn't refuse ($305 shipped).

One of them needs to go, which has become a source of internal debate. The Summit is a far better deal based on retail price ($600 to $450 for the Malolo), but I'm primarily concerned with performance and how it'll suit my style of riding.

I suspect the Summit will do better strictly in the pow, but that's just a gut feeling based on what I've heard about Neversummer. Obviously, I don't expect to be riding much in the way of switch, but I may throw an occasional mellow 3 off natural features. I'm leaning towards the Summit, but I feel like the insane set-back and NS's reputation for making a heavier board will make it a bit difficult to spin and just dork around on.

Versatility is also a concern. I dont get many true freshie days (I'm a weekend warrior, so typically I'll get up to the mountains a few days after the storm), so it also has to be able to hold up alright in the groomers and in slightly crusted-over semi-pow as well.

I am a strictly in-bounds rider (at least at the moment), so BC and performance in waist-deep pow aren't a really a concern.

If anyone is curious my boot size a 10, I'm 5'11" and anywhere from 190-200 in a given week.

If anyone could offer some help it'd be much appreciated.

Hi David, at your weight, I would dare say the Summit will be a better all around board. Like you , I believe the Malolo might have the edge on a Pow day. NS has an excellent rep with allot of strong riders. My guess you will have a good day on either.

PS, Mark that Tanker "SOLD" my friend.

Bryan

Guest kimchijajonshim
I haven't ridden either, but local snow type may well play in to a final decision.

Is it silly to wait or the snow and try them both out before deciding? If I had both in my garage I would wait.

I would really like to ride them both at company demos (as to not hurt potential resale value on the ones I bought), but that might be tough. For one, I'd have to hope that the snow quality is optimal for a demo (not much point in demoing a powder board on an ice day) and for another, it's very unlikely that I'd be able to demo them on the same day. It'd be hard to do any sort of direct comparison based on a few runs in disparate snow conditions.

If I can't get a general feel for a online consensus (like an online consensus ultimately means anything, bleh). I think my most likely recourse is hitting up a Burton demo, trying out the Malolo, and taking the Summit with me to switch out and compare. Or vice versa with a NS demo, though it'd probably be the former since Burton demos are much more common.

I do have other boards, a Salomon Prospect 157 for park and a Special 159 for everyday riding, so versatility isn't a HUGE deal... we'll see.

Anyone ridden both of these boards?

No, but I've ridden the Malolo a lot.

Versatility is also a concern. I dont get many true freshie days (I'm a weekend warrior, so typically I'll get up to the mountains a few days after the storm), so it also has to be able to hold up alright in the groomers and in slightly crusted-over semi-pow as well.

I am a strictly in-bounds rider (at least at the moment), so BC and performance in waist-deep pow aren't a really a concern.

I rode the Malolo as a pure powder board in knee to waist deep: I've no experience of it on piste. It looks like it would be better than a Fish on hardpack, but I'd not take either board there anyhow.

I've not ridden the other board or heard anyone rave about it. The plan shape looks "fishy", so that's good.

If anyone is curious my boot size a 10, I'm 5'11" and anywhere from 190-200 in a given week.

Um, well I ride the Malolo 162 in powder and I'm about half your weight. I'm an aggressive little s**t, but you may find those boards too soft.

Here's my BS on the Malolo from last season.

http://www.wigglesworld.klebos.com/sports/snowboard/reviews/malolo/index.asp

I have ridden only the Malolo, but I can say for that board,

that it is very comfortable in powder. It is fast, it has a very soft tail, and it 'slashes' quite well.

On piste it feels very supple -- it bends a lot.

This is not bad for riding on nice snow with the edge in,

but on cut-up, treaded-on, flattened snow that sits on most pistes from the afternoon to the end of the day, all the bouncing around may leave you aching for a damper board.