Note to New Members ×

mammoth far west racing

gawdzira

Is anyone going Mammoth this weekend and racing with the Far West Racing program?

I am going to give this a try and it will be my first time running gates on a snowboard. It would be great to hook up with someone this weekend who has some experience running gates.

If you unfamiliar with the far west program, they will only have ski gates set up and you do not have to be a member of anything in order to race. Just show up around 8am on Saturday morning at the main lodge and register as an independant or something like that.

alan

Hey gawdzria,

I'll be up there this weekend, but I didn't know about the races. The gates will be set up on the regular slalom course near main lodge? I'd like watch some runs at the least. I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to run the gates yet =).

Skill...hmmm...I hadn't considered that.

If you have a radio, tune it to channel 5-27 in the morning and I will let you know when they turn the snow boarders loose. One person I spoke with said that the snowboarders do not go first and that our runs might happen around 11 am.

alan

Guest Randy S.

gawdzira,

I race in Open League which is part of Far West up in Tahoe (Open League is comprised mostly of Bay Area clubs). We've not gotten our league to let the snowboarders run first most of the time. It helps that we have a bunch of us. We run on the skier course for GS and they set a boarder course for us for SL.

Far West has leagues in So Cal also. Check out http://www.fwra.com/leagues.htm

In April all the Far West leagues race against each other. This year the races will be at Heavenly. Next year they'll probably be back at Mammoth again (they rotate around). If you can join a team and get a few points, you could probably come to Heavenly. With any luck, we'll have a boarder course for SL there. Either way, it is a lot of fun. SL on a skier course can be a bit rough. Wear any armor you own either way. You may be able to convince the race ourganizers that boarders just end up side-slipping the course so running you first wouldn't mess up anything for the skiers, while running you after the skiers is a real disadvantage for you since they'll leave much different ruts than you'd be prepared for (that seems to work for us).