Note to New Members ×

HD TV broadcasting

C5 Golfer

Any of you listen to HD TV broadcasts where the volume of the program is significatly lower than the same broadcast in analog? Also, when listening to an HD News broadcast the actual news is at a lower volume than the commercials .. On my 3 different HD sets the listening volume of commercials is about 2X louder that that of the news program. Anyone have this same issue or am I just hating commercials and frustrated that I do not have a TIVO yet? :smashfrea:smashfrea

I just got a 42" LG LCD, and have found the same thing. I turn the channel only to have the volume blaring. As it is the only TV, I cant speak toany comparisons.

I am hoping that when I get the cable card, this will straigten out, I think the TV volume control for commercials. It also has built in DVR, but without the cable card it doesn't really function right.

I have Directv/Tivo HD with the Hr10-250. On my Poineer 720HD I have had the same complaint since day one five years ago. Analog to digital difference is more like 30%. The commercial problem seems more pronounced on the HD channels. Maybe becaus of the digital audio signal?

I know that some tvs have a automatic volume control to limit the boominng comercials, but if you run the signal direct to a home theater system you can't take advangage of that feature. Oh well, just bite the bullet and get your Tivo and never watch live tv again! :biggthump

For what it is worth, as I recall, the networks intentionally crank up the volume on commercials so that you can still hear them when you run to the bathroom or kitchen durring the breaks.

ReplayTV, I think it's the 4050 series (maybe it's 5040, I get a little dyslexic sometimes) has automatic commercial advance. We watch the news live while we're getting ready for work, but other than that I haven't watched live tv in a long long time.

I know that there is a limit on how much louder than the highest sound level of a program that they can put the commercials at.

I get the cable card on saturday, I'll write up a full review of how the system works shortly after that...

Due to a lack of digital inputs on my reviever, It looks like I will have to run all sound into the TV, then run the single digital output to the surround system...any thoughts?

I don't know much about HD TV, but if it's anything like DVD, it's the dynamic range that does this. On a DVD player, you can adjust the dynamic range fo what you're listening depending on the listening conditions. Mine has three settings: Wide range, Normal and TV. Wide range has the biggest dynamic range and is good in a quiet room with a good sound system, Normal is like it says, for regular listening conditions and TV is for listening in noisier conditions or on a TV without a home theater sound system. What the dynamic range does is when the dynamic range is big (in Wide range mode), the quiet sounds sound quieter and in TV mode, the quiet sounds are louder, almost the same as dialogs and so on. Commercials usually have no dynamic range, so everything is at the loudest possible volume (there are never quiet sounds in commercials). So what is happening here is probably that the shows have a bigger dynamic range than non-HD TV, but the commercials are the same. Maybe you could check the settings of your TV or receiver to see if there are dynamic range settings.

You could compare it to classical music (huge dynamic range) versus modern ock or pop (loud with no dynamic range). Here is some reading egarding the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Maybe Todd Brown or John Gilmour might have a say in this...

• 2 weeks later...

The cable card works great. arguable the only weakness in the system is that the TV Guide onscreen does not seem to recognize the HD channels, But you can still get the information from the LD equivalents...

The volume control on the TV works like a charm. Everything is projected at the same volume. I wonder how long it will take for the broadcasters to evade that little gimmick. My one problem with volume is that the remote does not seem to have the ability for you to control the volume on all souce at one location (as in, I run all sound through the Stereo, but in order to adjust volume, I have to push the Aud button on the remote, then go back to the TV button to change channels). Every other universal remote I've used allowed you to adjust Volume on the stereo regardless of the component you are controlling.

The only down sides to the cable card are: Loss of the guide (compensated for by on-screen tv guide) and loss of on demand services. This could be bypassed by splitting the feed, keeping a box and running that as a seperate input (allowing full functionality of the built in DVR and the PIP with the cable card), but I did not see the point.

My one problem with volume is that the remote does not seem to have the ability for you to control the volume on all souce at one location (as in, I run all sound through the Stereo, but in order to adjust volume, I have to push the Aud button on the remote, then go back to the TV button to change channels). Every other universal remote I've used allowed you to adjust Volume on the stereo regardless of the component you are controlling.

the remote that came with my preamp has a code you can enter to make the volume control always the preamp's volume no matter what source is currently selected. maybe yours has something like that?

Analog tv is what, a 480X320 signal and whatever amount of sound for bandwidth

Digital tv can be 1080i (now) along with sound, so if a movie is on, say the matrix, and the scene is full of data, well there's only so much bandwidth that can stream, the amount of sound data is lowered to allow more video data

commercials, unless it's the superbowl don't have as much of a video stream so more audio stream(data), makes em louder

:)

if that were true than i think you would hear the volume change based on the information on the screen. i thought it had more to do with commercials not being broadcast in HD.

Analog tv is what, a 480X320 signal and whatever amount of sound for bandwidth

Digital tv can be 1080i (now) along with sound, so if a movie is on, say the matrix, and the scene is full of data, well there's only so much bandwidth that can stream, the amount of sound data is lowered to allow more video data

commercials, unless it's the superbowl don't have as much of a video stream so more audio stream(data), makes em louder

:)

I'm sorry to say this, but all of this is utter nonsense. First, analog TV here in North America is NTSC, which is 480 lines, which would be 640X480. Second, the bandwidth issue seems logical, but I would have to verify this. I can say that it would have no effect whatsoever on the sound level, but it would have an effect on data compression. The sound may deteriorate in quality, but not in level.