Note to New Members ×

considering a used beemer... (scuse me, bimmer)

Jack M

Kids aren't the only ones who've decided to buy them up. A lot are being purchased to run in SpecE30, or just as track cars - they're great cars for that purpose, they're cheap, and the engines are bullet proof. Here's mine in action:

http://www.flyingbrickperformance.com/cart/index.php?main_page=infopages&pages_id=3&zenid=c1f778368a08d43ccb2a884889a4b8ba

Jack, if you ever need parts, let me know - I can get pretty much anything including stock parts.

Very nice. Running driver's ed in my iX was a hoot, especially when the track was wet.

You shouldn't have said you can get parts cause I'm all over that. Right now, I need a driver's side mirror glass (e46) and an M3 or sport steering wheel and airbag (e46 or e39). The 320i in Canada came with a bare bones steering wheel and I'd miss the audio and cruise controls.

Let me know if you see any of these parts.

"-You will be embarrased on a different level if it hard-starts. When a normal car chugs a few times before lighting up, no one even notices... When your 3 hacks a bit, you'll get "Nice car. What did you pay for THAT lemon?"."

My iX had a balky fuel pump. When it had trouble starting, I just reached back and thumped the rear seat hard with my fist (fuel pump was under the seat). That would get the pump moving. I'd get equal amounts of mockery and admiration for that move.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack:

Are the MPG stats for the Sub v BMW comparing AWD to 2WD?

I would think that an Xi is going to burn just as much gas turning 4 wheels on dry pavement as the GT would.

Ahhh, woops. The CR stats are indeed for the 2WD bimmer. Road & Track reports for the AWD 325ix: 16.7mpg overall in their test (heavy right foot I'm sure), 19/28 city/hwy. So still noticeably better than the Subaru.

And I'm sure the rest of your comments are right on the money. It will be an interesting social experiment!

modifiede30: thanks for the offer!

Say what you will, I love my 530-as for being a prick, sorry I just rent one :biggthump

As for being a bitch(female prick equivalent) I just say :eplus2:

I've never had a car talk to me like my 5-she's always saying "I can go faster"

10K miles so far-got her 10/7/2006! :1luvu:

I don't regret buying her-even when USAA financing takes $1300 out of my bank account on the 11th of every month

I have owed/driven GM, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo, Datsun, and Toyota....

BMW really is the best there is

My dad used to own an '85 325e, then recently bought a 328xi (it does work great in the snow, I'd really recommend upgrading the xi, especially if it will be used to get you to the mountain)

but, growing up north of boston, i've always tried to stay away from the preppy/stuck up/a$$hole image - b/c there are engouh of them around here already. Having said that, as much as I love driving the 328, i sometimes feel like a dick, cuz I'm some punk 19 year old kid driving around a 30K BMW.

BUT, just b/c other people might THINK you are an a$$hole/etc, doesn't make you, or every other BMW driver, one (if people know me and see me driving the bmw, they dont think I'm a a$$hole, maybe for other reasons... :flamethro ))

If you enjoy a nice smooth, fast, responsive ride, and can afford it, why not buy it? These days, there are Hondas that cost more than BMWs, but will never drive as nicely/be as responsive, but of course dont have the a$$hole stigma. If you can get it inspected and its in good shape, who cares about the image, they are awesome cars and hold up really well - go for it

I have owed/driven GM, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo, Datsun, and Toyota....

BMW really is the best there is

Uhh... this would carry more weight if you had also owned/driven Porsche, Audi, Saab, Mercedes, Alfa, etc...

rwcow... I hear you, but I have realized in my ripe old age of 33 that I am a big friggin' preppy and that's that. It's the only image that works on me. I embrace it now. Might have to bring the gold Ray Ban aviators out of retirement for this car!

I've owned (in rough chronological order):

VW

Honda

Buick

Acura

Dodge

Toyota

Porsche

Alfa Romeo

Volvo

BMW

Audi

Pain in the Ass ranking (least to most)

1) Toyota

2) Honda

3) Acura

4) Porsche

5) BMW

6) Alfa Romeo

7) Volvo

8) VW

9) Audi

10) Buick

11) Dodge

Henry Fun Factor ranking (fun to drive, easy to fix, not a big hassle to own)

1) Alfa Romeo

2) Porsche

3) BMW

4) Volvo

5) Honda

6) Acura

7) Toyota

8) VW

9) Buick

10) Dodge

11) Audi

The Alfa Spider was pure joy. The Audi was a pure pain in the ass. Toyota, while rock solid, is boring as hell.

wow, i just realized i described this kid from my high school that was given (only) an Audi A4 (but of course with the sports package/etc added on) junior year. and yes - i mean given. it was his.

I was given a rusty blue $600 '82 Subaru GL wagon junior year ('91). I totaled it.

I've owned (in rough chronological order):

VW

Honda

Buick

Acura

Dodge

Toyota

Porsche

Alfa Romeo

Volvo

BMW

Audi

Pain in the Ass ranking (least to most)

1) Toyota

2) Honda

3) Acura

4) Porsche

5) BMW

6) Alfa Romeo

7) Volvo

8) VW

9) Audi

10) Buick

11) Dodge

Henry Fun Factor ranking (fun to drive, easy to fix, not a big hassle to own)

1) Alfa Romeo

2) Porsche

3) BMW

4) Volvo

5) Honda

6) Acura

7) Toyota

8) VW

9) Buick

10) Dodge

11) Audi

The Alfa Spider was pure joy. The Audi was a pure pain in the ass. Toyota, while rock solid, is boring as hell.

I have owned

Chevy (5)

Pontiac

GMC (4)

Jeep (2)

VW (2)

Fiat

Corvette (2)

BMW

Mercedes (2)

Pain in the Ass - Least on top

Corvette, BMW and Mercedes - Tied

GMC

Chevy

Pontiac

Jeep

VW

Fiat

Fun Factor to drive

Corvette

Mercedes

BMW

Jeep - the one with a 350 cu in Chevy

Fiat

VW

Pontiac

Chevy

GMC

I would like to buy a new car -- But I do not know of any that interest me right now. Each one I think of has a negative.

a BMW story...of sorts....

Anger Management

When you occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on someone you don't know.

I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I'd forgotten to make. I found the number and dialed it. A man answered, saying "Hello."

I politely said, "This is Chris. Could I please speak with Robyn Carter?"

Suddenly a manic voice yelled out in my ear "Get the right f***ing number!" and the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could be so rude. When I tracked down Robyn's correct number to call her, I found that I had accidentally transposed the last two digits.

After hanging up with her, I decided to call the 'wrong' number again.

When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled, "You're an *******!" and hung up. I wrote his number down with the word '*******' next to it, and put it in my desk drawer. Every couple of weeks, when I was paying bills or had a really bad day, I'd call him up and yell, "You're an *******!" It always cheered me up.

When Caller ID was introduced, I thought my therapeutic '*******' calling would have to stop. So, I called his number and said, "Hi, this is John Smith from the telephone company. I'm calling to see if you're familiar with our Caller ID Program?"

He yelled "NO!" and slammed down the phone. I quickly called him back and said, "That's because you're an *******!" and hung up.

One day I was at the store, getting ready to pull into a parking Spot. Some guy in a black BMW cut me off and pulled into the spot I had patiently waited for. I hit the horn and yelled that I'd been waiting for that spot, but the idiot ignored me. I noticed a "For Sale" sign in his back window, so I wrote down his number.

A couple of days later, right after calling the first ******* (I had his number on speed dial,) I thought that I'd better call the BMW *******, too.

I said, "Is this the man with the black BMW for sale?"

He said, "Yes, it is." I asked, "Can you tell me where I can see it?" He said, "Yes, I live at 34 Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax . It's a yellow rambler, and the car's parked right out in front."

I asked, "What's your name?"

He said, "My name is Don Hansen,"

I asked, "When's a good time to catch you, Don?"

He said, "I'm home every evening after five."

I said, "Listen, Don, can I tell you something?"

He said, "Yes?"

I said, "Don, you're an *******!"

Then I hung up, and added his number to my speed dial, too. Now, when I had a problem, I had two *******s to call.

Then I came up with an idea. I called ******* #1.

He said, "Hello."

I said, "You're an *******!" (But I didn't hang up.)

He asked, "Are you still there?"

I said, "Yeah,"

He screamed, "Stop calling me,"

I said, "Make me,"

He asked, "Who are you?"

I said, "My name is Don Hansen."

He said, "Yeah? Where do you live?" I said, "*******, I live at 34

Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax, a yellow rambler, I have a black Beamer parked in front."

He said, "I'm coming over right now, Don. And you had better start saying your prayers."

I said, "Yeah, like I'm really scared, *******," and hung up.

Then I called ******* #2.

He said, "Hello?"

I said, "Hello, *******,"

He yelled, "If I ever find out who you are..."

I said, "You'll what?"

He exclaimed, "I'll kick your ass,"

I answered, "Well, *******, here's your chance. I'm coming over right now."

Then I hung up and immediately called the police, saying that I lived at 34 Oaktree Blvd , in Fairfax , and that I was on my way over there to kill my gay lover.

Then I called Channel 9 News about the gang war going down in Oaktree Blvd. in Fairfax .

I quickly got into my car and headed over to Fairfax . I got there just in time t o watch two *******s beating the crap out of each other in front of six cop cars, an overhead news helicopter and surrounded by a news crew.

NOW I feel much better.

Anger management really does work.

Ever driven an MR2 or Supra?

No but I'm sure I'd like them. Rear wheel drive, mid-engine (MR2), good hp/weight ratio. What's not to like?

I've owned a Camry which pretty much defines "reliable but boring" and a 4Runner which is a great truck but it's just a truck.

In my HFF (Henry Fun Factor) rating, there's a certain allowance for quirkiness and charm. One of my Alfas, for instance, had De Dion suspension with weird in-board brakes. It also was superbly smooth at 140 kmh. That sort of stuff can compensate for certain negatives like factory installed rust and non-functional a/c. The Toyota loses in that area since there's nothing charming or quirky about any of them.

No but I'm sure I'd like them. Rear wheel drive, mid-engine (MR2), good hp/weight ratio. What's not to like?
I had the chance to burn around in an MR2 Turbo a few years ago, the newer curvier one. What a fun, fun car. It's a damn shame all Toyota makes these days is boring. We just picked up a 2006 Sienna - it's an incredibly well-designed minivan, but I can't get too excited about it.

Funnest car I've owned is a tie between my '69 GTO and my '84 1/2 SVO Mustang. I loved the Mustang, but I'll never buy another Ford. 30-odd work orders in the first year.

Wish I'd kept the GTO - probably worth over 50K now, although I sold it for $3500 in 1983.

Jack,

Thanks for the idea.. the negative here is golf. A friend of mine has a Porsche of similar size and when he comes to the course it can only be him, cuz his golf bag is riding in the passenger seat, which is the only place it fits.

So for me any new car added to the stable needs to hold two sets of clubs and two people.

I had the chance to burn around in an MR2 Turbo a few years ago, the newer curvier one. What a fun, fun car. It's a damn shame all Toyota makes these days is boring. We just picked up a 2006 Sienna - it's an incredibly well-designed minivan, but I can't get too excited about it.

Funnest car I've owned is a tie between my '69 GTO and my '84 1/2 SVO Mustang. I loved the Mustang, but I'll never buy another Ford. 30-odd work orders in the first year.

Wish I'd kept the GTO - probably worth over 50K now, although I sold it for $3500 in 1983.

About 10 years ago, I had the yearning for Detroit muscle and looked at a number of cars. I test drove a '69 GTO, fully restored. When I got it up to 75mph, I thought I would go off the road. Every little ripple in the pavement would send the car off track and I would have to make a big correction. The best way I can describe it - it's like driving a waterbed. Then I hit the brakes. Holy ****e. I think a fully loaded freight train has a shorter stopping distance. I'm really glad they don't make 'em like they used to.

I'll bet if you drove one again, you would feel the same.

The American "sports" cars of the '60s and '70s were a joke. They were rough beasts with way too much weight and horsepower for their measly brakes and suspension.

As for performance, I remember reading a Road and Track article where they tested a Honda Odyssey against vaunted muscle cars of the past. The minivan beat a lot of them.

Porsche Cayman S... saw one in person the other day. Sex on wheels... the perfection of the 911.

Not really. Cayman has only 2 seats and is mid-engined. The 911 has always been and always will be a 2+2 and rear-engined. Price wise, it's between the base 911 and the Boxster S. Some people call it 911 Lite, others a hardtop Boxster with balls. The Boxster, despite being a great ride, developed a bit of a reputation as a chick car or more accurately, trophy wife's car. The Cayman was an effort to attract performance-oriented male buyers who didn't want to drop $100,000 on a 911.

For a lot of purists, the 911 ended in 1999 when Porsche went to a water-cooled engine. So the perfection of 911 was the 1998 model, the last of the air/oil-cooleds.

About 10 years ago, I had the yearning for Detroit muscle and looked at a number of cars. I test drove a '69 GTO, fully restored. When I got it up to 75mph, I thought I would go off the road. Every little ripple in the pavement would send the car off track and I would have to make a big correction. The best way I can describe it - it's like driving a waterbed. Then I hit the brakes. Holy ****e. I think a fully loaded freight train has a shorter stopping distance. I'm really glad they don't make 'em like they used to.

I'll bet if you drove one again, you would feel the same.

Oh, I remember it quite clearly. I didn't say it was perfect - only fun. Mine didn't have a limited slip diff, and if you punched it coming out of a city corner, it would take 3/4 of a block to straighten out. Drum brakes were good for 1 stop from speed. Mine was quite stable at 75, though. Rebuilt the motor myself, which is more than I could or would do with a modern car.
As for performance, I remember reading a Road and Track article where they tested a Honda Odyssey against vaunted muscle cars of the past. The minivan beat a lot of them.

The Odyssey probably weighs about the same as a lot of them and has 260 horse at the front wheels. It still isn't any more fun.

I'm wanting a convertible now. If I could buy what I wanted (ie, my wife didn't get a vote) I'd probably go for an S2000 or a Boxter.