Note to New Members ×

RR:Coiler RC180 21cm waist WCC

Fleaman

Got my board 2 weeks ago and have 3 days on it. Having ridden a 172 AM all year, I was stoked to open it up on some groomers.

I had the stock board waist built at 21cm so my 30mp dogs would sit nicely without huge angles. I also asked for the tail to copy the stock AM tail, turned up and rounded corners.

The first weekend, the conditions were really soft (springlike) and I was leery to push it too hard considering the amount of threads warning of broken boards. It took me both days to dial the binding set up in. To me, it looks like the inserts are centered on the board, not set back at all. I needed to mount the rear binding all the way back on my Catek olympics and the front one in a position to give me my 21"stance.

I found the nose diving alot, but never folded (Knock on wood), this was due to the conditions but I played with my cants and screwed it right up so I went back to my original settings.

This past weekend, I got a good day in on it. I was warm all week at the mountain with spring conditions. The temperature changed this weekend and it did not thaw at all. Western Boilerplate Icy conditions. Any run not groomed was closed. Anyways, I got on my board and railed turns. I had lots of edge hold, digging trenches about 1" (compared to 2-4" the week before) in depth in most spots. I did pop out a few times on some of the steeper icy patches but I was slacking off and lost my body positioning. If I was on top of my edge, it would hold but barely making a line

The board rides smoothly, not a lot of pop out of the turn but it likes to finish its carve fully before switching edges. The one thing I did notice is that it is not nearly as squirrelly at high speed carving as my AM is. I was the only one on the mountain smiling today except for the Ganjala rider. :lol:

The 11~M turning radius is perfect for the narrow runs at my mountain. Anything longer and I would be trimming wood on the sides of the runs.

I also found that I can ride bumps and steeps with this board. When I ordered it I was hoping that I can use it as an occasional All Mountain board when the groomers are in good shape. This way I can still ride the rest of the mountain instead of concentrating on the groom without switching boards all the time.

I have yet to try it out in powder but I suspect it will be left in my workshop on those days as it has a nose similar to the "Shred Gruumer Designed Nose"

But I will give it a shot if it snows this week or maybe next year as my season is coming to a close after easter.

Unfortunately, its impossible to make a board that can do everything. It all comes down to compromise. Wider boards tend to be gripier during the turn but loose on the transition.

I beleive that trying to do a board that can do everything is not an advantage. It will end up doing everything but not to a 100%.

I beleive that trying to do a board that can do everything is not an advantage. It will end up doing everything but not to a 100%.

couldn't agree more. i have a custom made board at home and it was made to do everything on piste, but it can't do anything 100%

i was planing to get myself a new custom that would be "better" and could do it better, but then i realised that it's not possible.

one should have more boards for more purposes

now i'm planning to get a Pogo Impact for crowded slopes and probably Prior WCR Metal 187 or maybe Goltes ProCarve or even Pogo Blitz for wider slopes.

just need quite a lot of money :(

My prime use for this board is for groomed runs, The rest of the mountain comes in second.

The 180 RC was my first Coiler that I ordered from Bruce and although I have ordered more since then, I keep coming back to it over and over again. It's a great carver and very versatile too.

->Ben