Note to New Members ×

Summer storage - binding off or on?

skategoat

Lots of discussion on storage regarding loss of camber, temperature, racks, etc. Didn't find anything about bindings. I think loosening is a good idea. One of the reasons I leave mine on is the fact that I forget the binding settings over the summer. I suppose a piece of masking tape with the settings written on it would solve that.

yes, leaving the bindings on promotes binding "suck", due to the unlike expansion and contraction of your deck and your bindings...

but who cares?

You might, when you consider that, in keeping the inserts filled, the metals then expand only outward, against the board's core.

this creates tiny spaces in the insert-core interface.

It is a great idea to remove bindings, though, if only to preserve the thread interface of the fasteners, which nearly always will have unlike metallic coatings (if even only slightly so) which will create a state of electrolytic oxidation.

Hey- removing the bindings for the summer can't hurt, right?

hit your threads with a light coating of WD40 while you're at it. WD40 has no petroleum ingredients which mught degrade certain materials on your deck.

the moniker "WD", incidentally, came from the government contractor who developed it, long ago, for Water

Displacement

be kind to your slumbering deck.

Good advice Vlad. If I take all my bindings off, then that creates another storage problem. Looks like I have to start hoarding shoe boxes. Hey, anyone make a nice binding rack?

roll 'em in a nice plastic bag, and toss 'em in your hardboot shells for the summer.

...remove the boot-liners and keep those with your winter clothes, away from possible vermin.

I used to actually just snap my bindings (sans board) TO my boot shells, with the fasteners duct-taped in a little roll inside the shells, then I'd hang them like that from a string looped through the rear bail:biggthump .

yeah well i tossed my board on the garage wall rack fully expecting to be back at the end of march for a possible last gasp someplace in New England. Now it looks like I'll be returning in May and all snow will be completely gone. I've always stored my board without bindings mostly because I find is easier to do pre-season prep on a bare board

I always take the bindings off when not in use...

i use a fine permanent marker to mark ALL my binding positions (Angle, Setback, which holes in the discs etc)

And I store them on a special rack topsheet down supported only by the nose and tail to preserve the natural camber of the boards....lay a good thick summer wax on the base and edges to protect from corrosion, also tuck them away in special sleeves so they are at least protected from humidity,dust, etc...

Can't hurt them doing this....

I can see why leaving the bindings on during summer can increase binding suck...

Steve

It is a great idea to remove bindings, though, if only to preserve the thread interface of the fasteners, which nearly always will have unlike metallic coatings (if even only slightly so) which will create a state of electrolytic oxidation.
Vlad's right, I had a board nearly ruined by corrosion in the inserts over last summer, storing the board in the waterproof board bag didn't help either. Whatever moisture was there after my last ride sat in there all summer and really crapped up the inserts :mad: