Note to New Members ×

A very nice Motorcycle

C5 Golfer

actually, it's a radial engine...a rotary is a wankel or other non-articulated piston-train engine.

a radial is, conceptually-speaking, a series of v-twin engines arranged, as petals, in full-bloom:D ...

not that i'm into either v-twin engines or flying.....

(note that the motorcycle has 8 cylinders, while the airplane has 10...)

actually, it's a radial engine...a rotary is a wankel or other non-articulated piston-train engine.

Yeah, I didn't think that sounded right, but I couldn't come up with the word radial for some reason. I'm familiar with wankels and the rotary type engines. One of the mazdas (rx8 I think) has the rotary engine, as do a few snowmobiles.

Not even counting the number of cylinders, I'd still like the radial better than the v8. I wonder how it feels to ride...

Theoretically I think all of the forces made by one cylinder are neutralized by it's opposing cylinder, so I'd imagine it's actually a pretty smooth ride. Still alot of engine for a cruising bike like that.

sweet bike the engine is an AUssie design built for the home built airplane crowd it is like 155 horsepower and very smooth you should see the other side of the bike each cylinder has its own straight pipe. very cool and very loud. Jesse JAmes also built a bike with this motor in it and its actually facing forward like it would in a plane. It looks like if you laid it down it would go clear over and come up the other side:lol:

THis one is much cleaner and sweeter looking than jesse's

here's one of jesse james radial

and one of the reverse side of this bike

post-2375-141842231228_thumb.jpg

post-2375-14184223123_thumb.jpg

post-2375-141842231231_thumb.jpg

the manufacturer Rotec says that the engine has enough surface area to cool adequately no matter how it is mounted provided that there is airflow. So on a bike its no problem to mount it either way. AMerican Iron had a centerfold right up on this bike in Dec 06 issue.

I wonder how the torque of this bike shown above affects the rider when the it is WOT and accelerating

ouch sounds like work keeping it on its wheels. 172" displacement 110 HP 160 ft/lbs of torque.

incidentally the smallest engine of this type actually in production WWII was a 600 cubic inch monster four feet in diameter.

the problem with the above configuration (NS crank) is torque-pull, which, at any good throttle-blip, would pull the machine over, gyroscopically...very scary....

Quite possibly not...that would be a MAJOR consideration, but if you used the proper wheels-fairly heavy and well balanced-then the gyroscopic forces of the engine revving up would actually be insignificant compared to those of the wheels. The gyroscopic presession of the wheels is actually what causes bikes to lean in the first place, and then right themselves at the other side of the corner. Rim-heavy/large wheels would certainly negate any adverse torque pull from the engine.

ouch sounds like work keeping it on its wheels. 172" displacement 110 HP 160 ft/lbs of torque.

incidentally the smallest engine of this type actually in production WWII was a 600 cubic inch monster four feet in diameter.

Dr D-- if that was the smallest == Damn! what was the biggest?

At approx $4000 a little model airplane radial motor would be my choice for an R/C fun... but that is too much money for something I'd crash at takeoff!

Quite possibly not...that would be a MAJOR consideration, but if you used the proper wheels-fairly heavy and well balanced-then the gyroscopic forces of the engine revving up would actually be insignificant compared to those of the wheels. The gyroscopic presession of the wheels is actually what causes bikes to lean in the first place, and then right themselves at the other side of the corner. Rim-heavy/large wheels would certainly negate any adverse torque pull from the engine.

....you do realize that between stop and go, groundspeed is often slow (ie wheels turning very slowly), while the motorspeed is fast, right?

early High-performance BMW motorcycles (boxer config..) give one torque-roll issues at slow speed/start, when the throttle istwisted

with any glee.

...and these had extremely well-balanced/blueprinted flywheels.cranks.... and these were mere flat-twin engines (as opposed to 7 cyl. radials:eek: )....

'gyroscopic presession' of the wheels has nothing to do with torque-roll (esp. considering the fact that it occurs at standstill, as well), which is the predisposition of a flat or tran-V mount (ie cylinders on either side, like a Guzzi or a BMW Boxer) to twist the motorcycle's attitude with the rotation of the crankshaft.

torque-roll is the weird sensation of your motorcycle leaning to one side with each twist of the thottle.

with that radial so-mounted, it would be.... significant.:freak3:

my bad for my poor descrition in my earlier post.

....you do realize that between stop and go, groundspeed is often slow (ie wheels turning very slowly), while the motorspeed is fast, right?

early High-performance BMW motorcycles (boxer config..) give one torque-roll issues at slow speed/start, when the throttle istwisted

with any glee.

...and these had extremely well-balanced/blueprinted flywheels.cranks.... and these were mere flat-twin engines (as opposed to 7 cyl. radials:eek: )....

'gyroscopic presession' of the wheels has nothing to do with torque-roll (esp. considering the fact that it occurs at standstill, as well), which is the predisposition of a flat or tran-V mount (ie cylinders on either side, like a Guzzi or a BMW Boxer) to twist the motorcycle's attitude with the rotation of the crankshaft.

torque-roll is the weird sensation of your motorcycle leaning to one side with each twist of the thottle.

with that radial so-mounted, it would be.... significant.:freak3:

my bad for my poor descrition in my earlier post.

I was talking more about torque roll at speed...highway speeds and hitting the throttle, of course taking off from a stoplight would be a mess...I was honestly just talking about say...60-80mph acceleration. And no, Gyroscopic Precession has nothing to do with the torque roll whatsoever, I should have been clearer there. I'm just saying that having two big rotating discs would counteract most if not all of the torque roll from the engine while the bike is in motion. My thoughts don't always come out correctly through my fingers :smashfrea .

I was talking more about torque roll at speed...highway speeds and hitting the throttle, of course taking off from a stoplight would be a mess...I was honestly just talking about say...60-80mph acceleration. And no, Gyroscopic Precession has nothing to do with the torque roll whatsoever, I should have been clearer there. I'm just saying that having two big rotating discs would counteract most if not all of the torque roll from the engine while the bike is in motion. My thoughts don't always come out correctly through my fingers :smashfrea .

These are the times when would it not be nice to be sitting at a big round table with a couple of cold ones and talk about it face to face? :biggthump

Also would be nice if had that bike there and we could prove out these theories on a closed track after we had a few cold ones, we’d end up a lot of material for Youtube.

Actually I was comparing the east-west configuration of the radial engine (jesse james version) to the v8 engine with the drive shaft being in the front to back position.. LIke so:

6762_25010721537.jpg

The rotational mass on this configuration should be greater than the rotational mass on a radial I would think.

Also, this is why I became an engineer. I enjoy discussing **** like this. Cold beers just make the convo flow more freely.

On a bad note, being an engineer ruins a few things, like, say, movies...

"That could never happen... Why don't they do it this way... It wouldn't work like that..."