Note to New Members ×

Loose screws

Guest Jack1080

Guest Jack1080

I bought a pair of TD2's in January and I can't tell you how much I like them. I would go as far as saying they improved my riding 10 fold. I have noticed that the screws keep coming loose on me. I have to tighten them before I ride and sometimes half way through the day. Is it safe to use a loctite bonding agent or will that wreck the bindings/board. Thanks

Jack

Blue Loc-tite is temporary and can be broken loose easily with hand tools. Red Loc-tite is more permanent and often requires the use of heat to break loose.

I've used blue on car parts frequently and never had a problem with them gumming up the threads or any adverse effects whatsoever.

There's also a green Loc-tite but I've never used it.

BTW, how do a pair of bindings improve your riding so drastically? I noticed barely a change when I went from TD1s to TD2s.

Yeah, I'm mental too - I know what you mean. But the loose screw thing to me is more likely from sand or dirt between the parts, if there is intimate contact, then the fasteners will stay tight. And oh yeah, the coefficient of expansion of aluminum is much higher than steel, so tighten the screws when the bindings are cold, then they'll stay tight when warm. Tightening when warm will have the reverse efffect - they could come loose. Never had a problem with my Cateks, but I always make sure they are very clean.

Guest Jack1080

I'm not sure if it was the warmness part or what but I would sometimes tighten the screws in the morning and by the end of the day they would be loose again. I ride pretty rough on them, and there is alot oficy ruts in the midwest so that could be a factor as well.

As a maintenance mechanic I use Loctite products about every day what is the snowboard industry's problem with using Loctite??? Of course I would make sure all surfaces are absolutely clean and apply a 'drop' of 'blue' Loctite (242) in any other application,why NOT a snowboard / bindings / etc??

Just Gotta Know!!!!!! Thanks------John

Nils, are you then saying 243 is OK to use? According to 'Loctite' the only difference between 242 and 243 is that (243 is 'oil resistant') why would you need an oil resistant product for a snowboard application?

Derf, why would you put Loctite on plastic? Out of curiousity I did put some on and old binding plate to see what happens though. So far it hasn't even softened it, but it's only been a few hours!?

:confused: Thanks---------John

Originally posted by jp1

Derf, why would you put Loctite on plastic? Out of curiousity I did put some on and old binding plate to see what happens though. So far it hasn't even softened it, but it's only been a few hours!?

:confused: Thanks---------John

Hi John,

I did not use Loctite on plastic, I used it on the screws so they would stay in the insert, but there was a little excess, and this excess melted my disk enough to have the screws rip out of the disks with the washers.

Derf