Note to New Members ×

Some carving pics from Oppdal Carving Camp

Vahur

Last week ca. 20 carvers from Norway, Finland and Estonia participated in Oppdal Carving Camp in Oppdal, Norway.

Some images are available at my site:

http://carving.grewu.org/ojankaivajat/2007/oppdal/index.htm

All the carving images are taken on upper part of Vangslia's World cup slope, which is quite steep (my guesstimate would be something around 40%). Weather was quite varying with strong wind on Tuesday (it can be seen on images) and sun alternating with cloudy weather, thus riding images were taken only on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thanks to Pokkis for organizing this event :biggthump and all participant who made it something to remember.

First off is WOW! :biggthump

I really like your pics, I wish I could get someone with your skills to get a few shots of my riding. I would love to see what I look like (technique wise) and I would have a few souvenirs in pictures of some great moments on the slopes.

If you could provide me with your gear list and setting that would be great. I myself take pictures of friends and I think I can learn a trick or two to improve my technique.

Thanks!

Our next Oppdal Carving sesion will be one of weeks 10-12, final dates will be coming soon after our last camp for this season, Eastern Camp in Ylläs.

Welcome to join Eatern session above Arctic Circle and very close to home of Santa, it is very easy vist that too :biggthump

Sweet!!

Vahur , Pokkis, I would love to add the TNT photos to the "Pokkis" gallery.

Would you allow it? I would be happy to watermark the photos to direct folks to your site?

I made these photos to share the passion and personal/non-commercial use is OK by me.

If you could provide me with your gear list and setting that would be great. I myself take pictures of friends and I think I can learn a trick or two to improve my technique.

Thanks!

Hmm, I don't recall anything special done, but here is my setting anyway:

Nikon D200, lens was Nikkor AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR. I used aperture priority and aperture was closed down ca. 1 stop from maximum to improve lens resolution (tests indicate, that this lens is OK in 70-200 range wide open, beyond that it needs to be stopped down to achieve better results, especially in corners), additionally I tried to keep zoom within 70-200 range. All the other settings were more-or-less default/automatic: image optimization was normal (by default nikon seems not to sharpen JPG images enough, thus it was done in postprocessing), auto white balance, ISO 100. Nikon has nice auto-contrast mode, which adjusts contrast according to scene and it was used. In case of canon I'd probably go with low contrast to improve dynamic range. Images were taken in high-speed (5 fps) mode, so it was matter of timing to get pictures I wanted. Nikon matrix metering has programmed knowledge that on Earth maximum EV is about 17, thus no exposure compensation is needed in case of sunny day, in cloudy day exposure compensation +0.3..+1.0 is needed to keep histogram on right and snow white instead of gray.

During shooting I initially look to couple of first images to check their histogram and adjust exp. compensation if needed, afterward it will be only shooting.

In postprocessing I just cropped, adjusted histogram (to keep blacks black and whites white, additionally I compressed midtones to leave more dynamic range to high end in order to bring out snow on slope and low end to bring out usually dark clothing and see body position better), resized to 900x600 and sharpened.

In order to get good results some practice is needed and DSLR is must IMO: I tried with compact camera, but it's not up to the task: too slow, not enough resolution, small pixel pitch results in poor contrast, LCD is unusable for burst mode/in cold conditions/under sunlight. DSLR, especially semipro cameras like Nikon D200 and Canons 20D/30D are much better in this regard, providing this much-needed tactile feedback.

Thank you for the detailed info for shooting and post processing! :biggthump:biggthump

I wish I had more time and such nice slopes to take pictures. I am so eager to use my limited time to ride that I don't spend much time with my camera.

As I said before I would love to have a few pics of my riding but so far no one has ever got a good shot of yours truly.

I am sure you made a lot of people happy with your pics! :D

Here is a shot of my son having some fun in the park! I had some fun with Photoshop as well. But there are very limited people that carve on my local hill.

So no carving pics to brag about! :(

Again nice shots!

post-1009-141842230695_thumb.jpg