Note to New Members ×

New Bicycle arrived - Finally

C5 Golfer

That's kinda the reason why I a bit baffled by the Serotta work. Don't get me wrong, they do a great job..but I've never seen them spec a bike with that rise. I'm surprise they didn't opt of a sloping downtube. K

Kent,

Not sure what Rise is, my bike actually is a sloping top tube - picture distorts it a bit the other way- but it is a 1° angle - not much.

Kent,

Not sure what Rise is, my bike actually is a sloping top tube - picture distorts it a bit the other way- but it is a 1° angle - not much.

I was talking about the riser stem. I've never ordered a Serotta, but I have ordered a custom Seven and they made recommendations for stem lengths, and altered the headtube to accomodate. It''s not a big deal, but was just stating that it odd (to me, at least) than a custome manufacturer would built a bike using a stem/reach combo outside the warranty of the fork (Reynolds recommends less than 4cm of stack).

Not talking you out of your purchase..it's a great bike. That's the beauty of bikes....they are meant to be customized and made different! The handmade bike show last week proves that.....

As for fit, they really seem to make people think that they aren't comfortable. I've yet to meet a cyclist who says "****, I'm uncomfortable on this" as usually the answer is their fitness level, not the fit. Your body will change over time to accomodate it's load.

Cycling is one of the few sports in which you can have the "chasis" of a race car (fit) even though you might not have the engine (power). Yet another area for improvement. So, although there are different fits...there is less of a difference as the pro level. Why not have the chasis of a pro while you're working on the engine?

I think Olin skis coined the phrase "game improvement" which I really like as it's a means to improve performance. But...as we talked about last year, some cyclist aren't in the sport to improve, just to have fun. That's cool too!!!

But seriously...I like your bike. Very cool. Go ride it. I'm heading out for my monthly FTP test.

I was talking about the riser stem. I've never ordered a Serotta, but I have ordered a custom Seven and they made recommendations for stem lengths, and altered the headtube to accomodate. It''s not a big deal, but was just stating that it odd (to me, at least) than a custome manufacturer would built a bike using a stem/reach combo outside the warranty of the fork (Reynolds recommends less than 4cm of stack).

Kent, If my metric math is correct and I follow you -- correct me if I am astray here .. I have 3 spacers at 6 mm each = 18 mm = 1.8cm , is that well below your 4cm you mention? Also , the frame was built for 2 spacers so I could have a standover height of 88.84. My bet is by the beginning of summer I will be at 2 spacers.

Justin - What is your handicap? I play to a 8.5, was a 7.0 but that was when I didn't work and played 5 days a week.

My handicap? HA! Oh what a Handicap it is too...

Granted, I've only been playing for 2 years (hitting balls since forever), but my handicap is around 16 or so...at least I'm under 100. I got to play...oh, about 5 rounds this past summer, so most of my numbers come from my first year. Actually in my first year my HC was down to about 9 or so, but I was playing pretty much every day on a membership. Maybe some day I'll come out to Washington and we could play a round and you could kick my ass :biggthump . The good thing is that there are no fewer than 5 golf courses within 20 miles of my new apartment, I think one of them is actually within longboarding distance...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone riding Seattle to Portland this year? I'm in training now...I've done a lot of touring, but never attempted a double century before, so it will be a challenge.

Also, all local PNW carvers/cyclists are invited to participate in Bikes 'n' Brew 2007. www.bikesnbrew.com This year's date is still TBD, but most likely it will be the first week in August. It's a 100-mile ride from Portland to Hood River, hitting 4 microbreweries (and a donut shop) along the way - good clean fun. Biggthumpup

I'd rather run a bash gaurd than a big ring. I don't go that fast anyway. I didn't get it at performance, I got it at rscycle.com.

Justin I haven't had a chance to really ride it due to a snow storm that came through Utah. I didn't manage to hit a few jump at the jump park behind my house. It felt great, but I need to take time to set-up the suspension. I'm psyched on it and for the price I don't think it can be beat, but for me it is a niche bike to fill a spot in my "quiver". If I only have one bike I would get a MKIII or something similar (plenty of travel, more practical for everyday riding, much better climber, lighter, ect.)

I'd rather run a bash gaurd than a big ring. I don't go that fast anyway. I didn't get it at performance, I got it at rscycle.com.

Justin I haven't had a chance to really ride it due to a snow storm that came through Utah. I didn't manage to hit a few jump at the jump park behind my house. It felt great, but I need to take time to set-up the suspension. I'm psyched on it and for the price I don't think it can be beat, but for me it is a niche bike to fill a spot in my "quiver". If I only have one bike I would get a MKIII or something similar (plenty of travel, more practical for everyday riding, much better climber, lighter, ect.)

Is that Toby Hendersons company Phil?

hoping to.

Want to get together for training rides when the weather improves some? Right now I'm logging miles in the garage on a trainer, and I can't wait for the rain to ease off.

Art, we should find a day to ride --- I can come south to Auburn if you have a favorite ride or route.

How was Sun Valley?

Kristy and I just returned from Whistler and it was fantastic.. specially Saturday -- all blue sky , no wind, perfect snow and hardley anyone there. I wish I had a way to log the vertical we did. Started at a little after 9 and did not stop cept for lunch - last run top to bottom non-stop at 4pm. Leg burner on the Hot Blast. Cloud Nine off of 7th Heaven was groomer of the day -- I think we went over the speed limit many times. Ridge Runner was empty-- bombed that several times.

CYA

Lets road bike it someday..

Bordy: Toby did ride for Iron Horse, but is not an owner. He runs THE, a maker of plastic add-ons for MTB, like fenders and number plates. He must have cleared a few $ during the fender bonanza of a few years ago.

Phil: That 7 point is a nice whip. I would suggest trading the 5th Element with someone for another rear shock (Fox DHX 3,4, or 5) as they are gone from this world and could be hard to service should it blow (which is likely). The other option would be to buy a back-up. You will thank me for this.

The little window of good trail riding in Banff / Canmore was here just long enough for me to get huck/buckled to broken collarbone, but now the snow has returned, like Utah, so it's a little easier to wait it out, seeing as the trails are covered again.

I like the MTB thread-jack. I was wondering who else on here was into it.

My bikes: Santa Cruz V10 w/ Boxxer WC.

Giant Reign 1 w/ Fox 36.

Rocky Mountain Flow w/ Argyle for DJ's.

No road bike, but I think I'll get one for the rehab weeks to come. Lots of good routes for that around here. People come from all over to RB in this area. The big worry is that with so many gapers staring at peaks, it's pretty easy to get collected on someones hood. There are usually a couple of RB deaths within a 100 k of here every summer. Not like MTB is any safer, though... I should be in a body bag after my get-off. I'm lucky to have only broken a bone.

By the way... If anyone here does break a collarbone, get it plated... Internal fixation is the only way to go. I'm 2 weeks since the accident and I feel fine. The big danger is feeling too good and getting back on it too soon.

Shooting for the one day. Hopefully something more important will come up. Dan you need to do the Torture 10,000 as well. Some say its harder than RAMROD (which is going to be diverted due to storm damage).

Hey Art, sounds like you're about as eager as me to tackle the 1-day STP.

I was kind of considering the Torture 10,000, but haven't decided yet. The timing is really good though: long enough after STP to take a break, but soon enough that I won't have lost all my conditioning yet. Depends how hard my friends down here twist my arm, I guess. :)

It's hard to fit in this training though! I'm trying to squeeze one long ride (50+), one short ride (20-30 miles), and a day of snowboarding in every weekend...tough. How do you guys do it?

Guest HangBoarder

Nice ride, Phil. Any special reason you went with Iron Horse? I'm kind of looking around for a new ride, and wondering why you went that way....

Dan, I did the torture on little training (about 30-40 miles a week), Its just a grind is all. I would recommend it though. Most of the climbing is in the first 25 miles and it is really nice with no traffic and the descent kicks ass. Its the rest of the climbs in and out of the Sandy River Gorge that kill. I am doing the STP, just gotta get psyched to suffer a little. Its just another grind as long as the weather is good.

Al, I would rather head north, better riding IMO. I have a hard time taiking long rides due to the kids so I usually ride before work (0530-0730) or if Stacey is home in the afternoon (but I only have from 1300-1530 so I have to stay close by). Perhaps early on a weekend so I can be home by 1100? Sun Valley was great, Emmett did not want any parental help and loves to ski and I think Clayton will be ready for Baldy next year. The weather was nice but the snow was gone, better skiing here. Ill be at Crystal this weekend and probably able to ride Saturday (unless I persue my newfound enthusiasm for skiing). I actually had a great time on skis and the snow was better for skiing anyway. No chalk, just re-freeze. Ride for sure just gotta find a day.