Note to New Members ×

Flat, real flat Okemo

jtslalom

I rode at Okemo about two weeks ago on a Tuesday. I'm a little late posting but I had no idea how flat Okemo was. All the black diamond runs I was on were really flat. Every now and then there was a little teaser of a steep that quickly went right into a flat section. My 2 buddies and I rode there for 6 hours and couldn't find any sustained steep slopes. Another thing I didn't realize was how commercial the place was. I saw mostly families with kids and most the liscense plates were from Conn. or NY. Not that this is a bad thing but just not what I expected. The day before this we were at Jay peak. It was like night and day comparing the 2.

Okimo plainly suck. i never go there becouse is filed with kids and obviously flat, pluse you have to take bus from parking lot to get to the lift.

If you want to go to south vermont there are only two resorts that are somewhat ok: Stratton and Killington (avoid mount snow aka mount slow as well becouse it is even flater and more children fill then okimo, except two slow lifts on the backside)

Stratton is ok it has nice consistent medium steep terain, very good grooming but nothing is very steep.

Kilington is quite good we had real blast this past weekend

Kilington got over a foot of snow friday so sat wes mostly freeride in the forest, but sunday carving was just perfect no ice just hard pack.

They groom outher limits one of my favorite steep trails.

Also K was not too crowded.

A lot of carvers dont like big K but IMHO is the best carving mountain in South VT.

Maybe I'm just too used to smaller mountains, but my regualar mountain now is waterville valley since with a little bit of gas, i can get there in less than an hour and a half from boston. I went to okemo yesterday and it was my best carving day in my life. I've never been on trails so wide open and snow that held so well.

It is true that there weren't too many steeps, but it all suited me perfectly. Many people from upstate NY go there because its like an hour and a half away. Its also one of the easier mountains to get to from CT because all you do is shoot up 91. I think its like 2 and a half - 3 hours from CT.

Also, i got to ride for free since my friend works there:biggthump

I probably will get an okemo, stratton, sunapee pass next year since those mountains seem less crowded than the American Ski Company mtns.

Grooming OUTER Limits is really pissing off alot the real bump skiers. Watching people fall and then slide in terror on the steeper/no fall zones is fun to watch tho.

K put up a terrain park on Bear Claw, an otherwise great fast GS carving Trail (Will Garrow footage not available at this time, sorry).No one really seems to use the park either. Pity.....

K is such a Disneyland ski area for yappy new yorkizz. it's a shame :AR15firin

Carving at K when it's a zoo is like trying to ride a skateboard through a mall on

the day after thanksgiving.

Pico, Okemo, Magic.....oi vay ! :cool:

Grooming OUTER Limits is really pissing off alot the real bump skiers. Watching people fall and then slide in terror on the steeper/no fall zones is fun to watch tho.

WTF even if they groom it it is only half (3 or 4 groomers passes)

and right next to it there is devils fiddle anther bumpy ride. How many bumpy trails do we need !!!!!!! That is a thing i hate about US skiing all steep terrains is not groomed to make more difficult and being able to call it double dimonts

Outher Limits was awsome last sun morning.

K put up a terrain park on Bear Claw, an otherwise great fast GS carving Trail (Will Garrow footage not available at this time, sorry).No one really seems to use the park either. Pity

This trail is ok there is Wild fire right next to it wide open and groomed not steep enoug for me

K is such a Disneyland ski area for yappy new yorkizz. it's a shame :AR15firin

Carving at K when it's a zoo is like trying to ride a skateboard through a mall on

the day after thanksgiving

Well i am yappy new yorkizz

Crowdwise It is not so bad i carve it every weekend you got 2 to 3 hours of in the morning and then you might have to wait for the gap in the penguins

Anyone from boston hates this mountain becouse of NYC crowds i find it a little funny most are from upstate NY and CT

Pico, Okemo, Magic.....oi vay ! :cool:

again too flat and too many children

Big K is only one steep mountain within 4 hours driving from Brooklyn

Not much choice for me.

Hey Przemek, sorry to get off topic. I rode with you at Sugarloaf last year during the expression session. I think we spent most of the day on Gondi Line since it was pretty steep and not too much traffic on it. I had the Silver F2 Silberfeil. Good to see you are still in the area.

Okimo plainly suck. i never go there becouse is filed with kids and obviously flat, pluse you have to take bus from parking lot to get to the lift.

If you want to go to south vermont there are only two resorts that are somewhat ok: Stratton and Killington (avoid mount snow aka mount slow as well becouse it is even flater and more children fill then okimo, except two slow lifts on the backside)

Stratton is ok it has nice consistent medium steep terain, very good grooming but nothing is very steep.

Kilington is quite good we had real blast this past weekend

Kilington got over a foot of snow friday so sat wes mostly freeride in the forest, but sunday carving was just perfect no ice just hard pack.

Also K was not too crowded.

A lot of carvers dont like big K but IMHO is the best carving mountain in South VT.

i was at okemo today with my friend whose an instructor there. It was around 36*F at the summit but the snow was so easy to carve in. What a great day though. After spending a few days at the steeper parts of loon, I see that okemo is way too flat for a good carver, still good for me though.

To Zraced

Of course i remember you it was fun day but a little too springish for my.

How are you? Where do you carve this days?

To Gleb

If you are intermedie carver, is good to practice on blues but it is extremly important to start a day with the stepest groomed trail you can find. (8 pm or whenever they open, make sure you are in first chair up) This way you could improve your technique fast. While carving steep corderouy make sure you dont skid even inch, that would be counterproductive.

To All

I was a little to harsh for okimo and other flat mountains, diffrent people banefit from diffrent grade. Just becouse i like steeps only it doesn't mean that okimo sucks

To Gleb

If you are intermedie carver, is good to practice on blues but it is extremly important to start a day with the stepest groomed trail you can find. (8 pm or whenever they open, make sure you are in first chair up) This way you could improve your technique fast. While carving steep corderouy make sure you dont skid even inch, that would be counterproductive.

I love fresh groomed trails and usually make the first lift if I go to okemo. It feels so weird carving on fresh cord, im just not used to that much hold. Almost ended up in the trees one time

:smashfrea

My technique has improved so much in the past few days. My spring break started there and I was doing ok, and it also ended there, and I was able to kill the turns, especially heelside! I can use my GS board in trails half as wide as before too:biggthump tires me out fast though.