Note to New Members ×

Academy Awards - Best Picture

C5 Golfer

I thought that The Departed was an excellent movie (they should .

Justin-- maybe more to my objection in this day of so much real life violence and crime, the industry awards Best Picture to a movie that glorifies/promotes/advocates violence. Violence sometimes is needed to get a point or impact made to the viewing audience - for example - Saving Private Ryan, Freedom Writers, even Forrest Gump, Shindler's List, GodFather, Dances with Wolves, Ben Hur - all top notch great movies with violence.

Maybe I missed it but what was the value added point of The Departed?

To some who like his movies -- John Wayne flicks usually tempered the violence with a little humor to take the edge off. Today the industry tends to over use special effect to get the opposite reaction.. But again it is my opinion and I do not expect others to always agree. :biggthump

I don't think that it was so much promoting/advocating/glorifying violence as it was just integral to tell the story. The Departed was a film based on true events, and those true events sure aren't a tickling match. I too have a problem with the prevalance of violence in today's society, but I don't blame movies like The Departed for that, I would more blame music videos and whatnot that truley glorify/promote violence. I really saw The Departed as just telling a story that happens to take place in an incredibly violent world, not a story about being violent.

I really want to see The Nativity Story - did you like it? There was an uproar in New Zealand when Keisha Castle-Hughes was banned from the premiere at the Vatican because she'd just announced she was pregnant. At 16 and unmarried - oh the horror!

I didn't see it scheduled at any of the Calgary theatres, guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

The Nativity is a very good movie. There is no surprise ending...I mean we all know the story but, as it is told in the movie, it is very intriguing because it tells more about Mary and Joseph and their families and their life in that era than most of us know about. The acting and casting is perfect but perhaps the most striking thing is that it is a visually beautiful movie and probably deserved recognition from the acadamy for cinematography...but, then I wasn't holding my breath for Hollywood to embrace the movie.

It did not do well at the box office but I suspect it will be reshown around Christmas time for years to come.

To some who like his movies -- John Wayne flicks usually tempered the violence with a little humor to take the edge off. Today the industry tends to over use special effect to get the opposite reaction.. But again it is my opinion and I do not expect others to always agree. :biggthump

Hi, C5. Also just my opinion, and I don't expect others to agree either ;) but it is always nice to have a civil discussion like this.

I actually dislike it when movies use a little humor to take the edge off of an otherwise realistic violent scene - my opinion is that it probably desensitizes people to violence more to see Arnold say a one-liner before dropping a guy off a cliff because it makes you chuckle while seeing somebody die. Or Commando where you get to see Arnold kill off literally hundreds of faceless brown people in various funny ways. In contrast, would you think a knife fight would be cool after seeing the ear scene in reservoir dogs, or a fistfight after seeing Ed Norton beat the crap out of the blonde guy in Fight Club? By showing it in all its gritty dark realism I think it actually makes violence less attractive (in addition to simply being more effective in the movie).

I know about the stories that some kids started up fight clubs of their own after seeing Fight Club, but, no offense, those kids were all idiots. Anybody who saw the film and actually wanted to fight afterwards already had some issues...

Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was a story copied from a fictional Hong Kong ---Infernal Affairs

That is correct. Infernal Affairs has significantly lower production values as to be expected, but has a tighter story (the first 40 minutes of The Departed are basically summarized in a quick montage during the opening credits of Infernal Affairs so you get straight into the action).

It is - but it was adapted to tell the story of Boston Mafia. It's entertainment, that's all. I didn't feel it glorifies violence. It's not like there was big message to "go out and be violent". You had to know what it was about before seeing it - and you always have the choice NOT to see it...so there must have been some curiosity there. And remember - it's ONLY a movie. :cool:

It is - but it was adapted to tell the story of Boston Mafia. It's entertainment, that's all. I didn't feel it glorifies violence. It's not like there was big message to "go out and be violent". You had to know what it was about before seeing it - and you always have the choice NOT to see it...so there must have been some curiosity there. And remember - it's ONLY a movie. :cool:

The curiosity was started when a golfing buddy said " I saw The Departed last night and it was a great movie".

I can not put my finger on it and maybe some of the posters here can.. I liked the Godfather and GFII , but hated Departed. Not much difference in the two regarding violence.

I actually think the best film-making these days is on TV, not at your local theatre. I think it all started with "The Sopranos" and "Band of Brothers", then "Deadwood", then "Rome" and "Brotherhood".

With HD and 5.1 sound, television is now as visually and aurally exciting as film. With 13 or so episodes a season to work with, the story tellers can take their time. They can build very complex, realistic characters, not the cliches that you see on film.

I know there are other great shows out there too - "Six Feet Under", "Arrested Development". I just don't have time for them all. Right now, "Rome" has me riveted.

I actually think the best film-making these days is on TV, not at your local theatre. I think it all started with "The Sopranos" and "Band of Brothers", then "Deadwood", then "Rome" and "Brotherhood".

They can build very complex, realistic characters, not the cliches that you see on film.

That's an excellent point. I've noticed that alot latley, movies are becoming bland and (as you said) cliche. TV shows on the other hand, are getting better and better. I've actually been hooked on Stargate SG-1 for a few years now, because it tells a big wide-scoped story, which would be near impossible to tell in 2 1/2 hours at the theater. As strange and childish as it seems, our current favorite as far as story and plot goes is actually on Nickelodeon...Avatar: The Last Airbender is actually an EXCELLENTLY put together story that's really incredibly complex and deep...it's one of those shows that appears childish on the surface but if you actually watch the show, you realize that it's a good story as well. Rome looks like a good one, I'll have to check that out. Eureka is good too, but not very deep yet (first season)...

We went to Hollywood video and rented "Infernal Affairs." My wife and I really enjoyed "The Departed" so after this thread's discussion, we decided to watch it.

It's good and I have to give kudos to the origin of a very intriguing story but we both like "The Departed" much better. We thought the character development in "The Departed" is stronger and the new ending is really powerful.

I liked both The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine. I didn't find the Departed particularily violent, although the language did get tiresome. Goodfellas was worse in that department. My favourite movie in recent memory was A History of Violence, not sure if that was eligible this year or last.