Note to New Members ×

Hot Blast 153 (green) - too short for slalom?

felix

Hi, I'm searching for a slalom stick to complement my hardboot quiver. I'm currently on a Speedster GS 172 (2001 grey modell) and a Swoard 168M.

However I decided to join the lower Austrian race team and pick up a bit more gates. I'm 68kg, 178cm and ride a pretty nice race technique as long as its not inside the gates themselves or on rather flat courses. Steep courses are still a bit difficult. But I think my times can still improve with a bit of training. In GS I lack about 10-15% to Europecup riders when I score a good run (same lag to old ISF heroes like Gerry Ring and others) and well Slalom I haven't had a board yet.

Today I tried one run on a freestyle board which didn't work out at all, the second run on my 13m, 172 Speedster which I was able to work through the slalom gates but then crashed 2 times and arrived way late again.

The really good racers were all on slalom boards around 160cm long. I wrote the race coach already asking him on what board I should get. (without falls I assume I could have got around 32 seconds in the second leg, while the winner scored two 26seconds runs.).

At the moment I could get a new Hot Blast (I think its a last season one - its the typical green one) for 150€ including shipping which is a bummer price. For double that I could get a Sigi Grabner Race in 162 (with 12m radius) but I think that 1. would be too expensive) 2. I don't think I can get it through the slalom course though I might be wrong.

I'm not thriving for top results, but would like to get to say 28/29 seconds when semi-professional or older worldcup riders take 26-27 seconds.

About my riding technique - here are some shots that show it pretty well:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/PicturesfromFelix/ExtremecarvingSessionZinalFelix

Only the shots labeled race turn 1 were taken on an not very steep slope. The pics above were taken on a very steep run (la corne in Zinal - the one you see most EC from) and didn't intend to be racing style.

I weigh 175 lbs and am 5' 8". I rode a 2002 Volkl Renn Tiger 153 cm for a few years and thought it was a great board for slalom riding. I was never in a slalom snowboard race coarse but I did hit gates in a slalom ski course. It worked well for me. It is considered a short slalom board but I liked it alot.

Well I just got the answer from my new coach, he wrote me 153 is too short for the courses around and even more for the FIS Races, I could get a new F2 slalom for 200€ from him so I will see, we've got slalom training next Friday, I will then make up my decision.

If any racer got more input please still answer.

Felix-

a 153 is way too short for the adult slalom rider. you will fold the nose resulting in some major spills. attempt to ride a 163-166 in slalom... as far as getting within two seconds of a world cup rider on a 26 second course- GOOD LUCK. they are so much faster than it looks or you could imagine... i'd shoot for getting within 3 to 4 seconds, only if you are a very accomplished top level amateur...

regards-

Neil

I ment 2 secs on an ex-worldcup rider or average Europecup competitor (not winning time) for a 25/26seconds run. (which will be about 3-4 seconds on an average current worldcup rider, or up to 4-5 against Schochs or Grabner).

On our local race tour (lower Austria, Styria, Vienna, Burgenland and some people from Salzburg, Upper Austria and Carinthia) we have sometimes up to 6-7 Europecup riders who participate and then older (ISF) big names like Gerry Ring.