Note to New Members ×

Confirmation

Kimo

OK. I know most of you out there have done far worse than this to your bodies so please let's not make this a contest. For those of you who were curious, my suspicions were confirmed today. My right fibula was fractured, it's a very small, non-displaced fracture and it should heal quickly and without casting. Hopefully, my estimate of 4 weeks is close and I'll have 2 good months of carving left before hiking season.

It's a little bit easier to see in the second view, but you should still be able to see the very small line going across my fibula near the middle of each view.

Thanks to all of you who made SES fun to be at even after I couldn't ride any more.

-Kimo

post-2628-141842229245_thumb.jpg

post-2628-141842229249_thumb.jpg

Kimo

Just wondering what your symptoms are or will be in a couple weeks. I plowed a medicine ball sized death cookie to my left thigh a few weeks ago and the bruising has disappeared and I'm not limping anymore, but if I try to kneel with knees on ground and butt on heels, I get a good shot of pain through the bone area.

I'm back to riding hard again but only get that pain when I kneel.

Didnt feel like getting x-rays, but pondering it now, probably too late any way. I just dont need to be walking to get the mail and my left thigh pulls a Burt Reynolds Deliverence on my in the front lawn.

Hope you heal quickly and how did it happen?

Thanks

Greg

It was actually a stress fracture that developed over the previous 3 days. I could feel it coming on and was hoping it would hold out. It finally gave out in a small wipeout when the tail of my board caught the snow while I was sliding out and tweaked my leg just enough to finish the job. The second it happened, I was fairly certain what it was.

It's suspected that this could actually be due to a bad binding setup with respect to cant and lift that resulted the top of my boot cuff putting excess pressure at the midshaft point of my fibula.

The most pain comes from compression with foot pronation, but changing weight on that leg can cause some pain too. I can actually stand still on it with zero pain and hobble slowly on flat ground, but got the crutches for long distances and uneven ground.

As for your injury, you know best whether or not you need to get it checked out or get xrays. One thing you want to be careful of with really bad bruises is something called myositis ossificans. Basically, calcium deposits forming in the pooled blood in the muscle. I hear they suck. I had an injury like yours 15 years ago that cleared itself in a week and didn't seem to have a fracture or MO deposits. If had lasted as long as yours, I'd probably go to the doc. Luke, the Bomber machinist, has a similar injury to yours from landing on his camera that was in his thigh pocket. He was almost as gimpy as me. Maybe you should compare notes.