Note to New Members ×

SnowPro loosening up

Jrobb

I just got my first rides in on hardboots and Wooo what an eye opener it was.

Just getting used to the angles was the hardest part. I started from 55/50 and found my comfort zine at 35/30...on my AFrame. Iam riding SnowPro Race LTD FAST stepins and found by the end of the day the rear heel had some looseness to it. It stays locked in but is considerably more loose than the front. I swapped boots front to back and the slack is coming from the rear pin assy as it was the same with either boot.

Anyone have similar experience with these? Other than that I had a great time rather humbling though and the snow was not ideal for carving but got some great powder runs with Arvin and his buds.

J

I run Snowpro Race on my AM and pow boards. They are very good value for money, and are safe "softer" binding, unlike another popular brand.... Plenty of lift/cant adjustabillity, too.

They have 2 downsides: no spring on the rear bail (not applicable to step-ins), and toe/hill pad screws loosening.

Whenever I set the said screws at home, in worm environment, unless I really torqued them crazy, they would loosen up later in the cold. I think it comes from the shrink properties differences between plastic, aluminum and stainless steel. Set them outside in the cold, torque a lot, or retighten after the first run and they'll be ok. I never noticed further loosening after that. However, after you messed with the shims adjustment, you have to go throuhg the same procedure again.

Check them from time to time, like you woul do with any binding.

Boris

I run Snowpro Race on my AM and pow boards. They are very good value for money, and are safe "softer" binding, unlike another popular brand.... Plenty of lift/cant adjustabillity, too.

They have 2 downsides: no spring on the rear bail (not applicable to step-ins), and toe/hill pad screws loosening.

Whenever I set the said screws at home, in worm environment, unless I really torqued them crazy, they would loosen up later in the cold. I think it comes from the shrink properties differences between plastic, aluminum and stainless steel. Set them outside in the cold, torque a lot, or retighten after the first run and they'll be ok. I never noticed further loosening after that. However, after you messed with the shims adjustment, you have to go throuhg the same procedure again.

Check them from time to time, like you woul do with any binding.

Boris

I retightened the pin assy mount bolts all were tight but one was looser than the rest. The looseness is not at that interface though.

J

I never had a pin loosen up in several seasons of riding them. Is the boot loose in the binding itself, and what you are seeing is that? I have had to readjust the front bail for overall sole length on both sets I use to have. Give it a try, and let us know.

The looseness is between the pin and heel receiver on back binding only. When I insert the other boot in there, the same looseness is evident. Both boots in front binding fit like it did before riding...and looseness there is the same.

It's as if the rear pin assy got slightly bent...like if you have |___| normally but now ever so slightly the assy seems like it's like this \___/. Not that drastic but you get the idea. I contacted Dan about it and I can pick up a replacement pin assy fairly cheap if it gets unuseable.

I have tried to adjust the sole length but at 29MP I don't have much room for over under adjustment. If I try to tighten it too much the rear pins don't want ot ingage properly on the snow and pop out in mid run...they feel like they hook up but only one does.

Anyway, it's not noticeable when riding...I've got other things on my mind but being a machine repairman, I see looseness as possible signs of failure later on down the line.

J

if you are talking about the bolts that come up from underneath to hold the heel piece in place, I had to loctite them as they came loose pretty quick.

No not the mount bolts, the pin-to-heel interface has looseness. I will make a vid tonight and post to youtube hopefully it will be able to capture the movment.

J