Note to New Members ×

Snowboard patrol

Fleaman

Yep, I'm one myself. Almost always on plates. Also a S&T instructor and my patrol's S&T instructor trainer. We have 2 other patrollers who ride plates occasionally too.

There are 2 of us here full time on plates and one part time skier, plate rider.

We are both on the tobbogan training commitee also.

Lookin good.

Thanks for sharin flea. I love the way it shows how alpine boards go a completly different direction from skiers.

The one skier that is following me said he tried to stay with my trenches but his skis wouldn't turn that sharp. I got lots of good comments on my riding that weekend. Most people have never seen a hardbooter ripping it up.

Yep, I'm one myself. Almost always on plates. Also a S&T instructor and my patrol's S&T instructor trainer. We have 2 other patrollers who ride plates occasionally too.

It sure makes it easy to teach other boarders how to handle the tobbogan by showing as opposed to a skier talking someone through it.

and it does not hurt when you fall...

Sometimes it does. I have heard of people cracking ribs by falling on their radio.

2 weeks ago, I had a bike multitool with hex bits in my left pocket and I slammed hard on some boilerplate. It dug into my thigh so bad that I could barely walk.

I gimped myself for 3 days up stairs and at work. It still hurts a bit but at least I can ride.

You are right there. Unfortunately we don't have any new boarders joining us this season, all skiers... When I started patrolling I was one of the first couple snowboard patrollers at our hill. It was very difficult for the instructors who were all skiers to give much advice, sort of had to pick it up on my own.

It sure makes it easy to teach other boarders how to handle the tobbogan by showing as opposed to a skier talking someone through it.

There's all kinds of hard, unpleasant things to fall on in our packs and vests. Radios, Trauma shears, Sharpie markers/pens, multitools, pocket masks, oral airways, hex keys, carabiners, sled pins, etc, etc, etc.

Sometimes it does. I have heard of people cracking ribs by falling on their radio.