Note to New Members ×

lower leg pain question

Guest pcogan

have a soreness/pain on the front/right side of

my leg btn the knee and the ankle. slight swelling.

awkward to walk

was on my 188 burner for the first time this year, but

i've been out 20 days or so. this is my biggest board,

and i'm 5/3, 125 pounds. rode 2.5 hours; pain started

that eve

first leg pain i've felt in 10 years of carving. curious

if anyone has any input

many thanks

pcogan

colorado

do an internet search on anterior compartment syndrome and or shin splints. If it sounds familiar ice and heat alternating and gentle stretching. It may have been caused by the change in gear as even a slight change in angles can use and strain different parts of the muscle and contribute to an overuse syndrome. the swelling seems to indicate that this is more likely than shin bang. especially if you are in the same boots as the other twenty days.

arnica oil rubbed in topically can be a big help for this and for bruising. there are also homeopathic arnica preparations taken by mouth that can help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been finding this issue on my front leg the first few runs of the day. I solved it by wearing the boots loose for a warmup run or two and then sitting in the summit house for 15 min or so before tightening down and getting on with the day. blood flow issues can be managed if you give them a chance to breath and get flowing again before beating on them all day.:biggthump

I broke my first bones at 11 while playing crack the whip on roller skates. I've broken 9 or 10 more since. I think once you've broken something, you know when you've done it again. What I'm getting at is that if a person can recognize it without having ever experienced it, they could possibly save themselves a lot of grief. It's a deep ache, different than any bruise, scrape, cut or whatever. If you're experiencing something you've never felt before, get it x-rayed! A "bruised shin", "sprained ankle" or "bruised hip" can turn into something very serious if shrugged off. Like a stress fracture of the Tibia or Fibula, broken Talus or shattered Greater Trochanter.

I broke my first bones at 11 while playing crack the whip on roller skates. I've broken 9 or 10 more since. I think once you've broken something, you know when you've done it again. What I'm getting at is that if a person can recognize it without having ever experienced it, they could possibly save themselves a lot of grief. It's a deep ache, different than any bruise, scrape, cut or whatever. If you're experiencing something you've never felt before, get it x-rayed! A "bruised shin", "sprained ankle" or "bruised hip" can turn into something very serious if shrugged off. Like a stress fracture of the Tibia or Fibula, broken Talus or shattered Greater Trochanter.

quite true! however an outright break is usually obvious and can be dealt with post haste. While fractures will not show on xray for 2-3 weeks. If a frx is suspected and you are mobile you can take it easy and get it xrayed later when it has a better chance of being visualized. or you can pay for a film that often doesn't show anything and be told to take it easy and come back in two weeks for another xray. either way take it easy RICE rest ice compression and elevate.:biggthump

quite true! however an outright break is usually obvious and can be dealt with post haste. While fractures will not show on xray for 2-3 weeks. If a frx is suspected and you are mobile you can take it easy and get it xrayed later when it has a better chance of being visualized. or you can pay for a film that often doesn't show anything and be told to take it easy and come back in two weeks for another xray. either way take it easy RICE rest ice compression and elevate.:biggthump

My point was to get a definitive diagnosis before you cause more damage. Whether it takes a day or two weeks, make sure you know for sure what the problem is.