Note to New Members ×

Heavenly Closing rumor, no water

mackDan

I just heard a rumor via friend in South lake Tahoe, that Heavenly resort may have to close after presidents weekend, if they don't get some/any/a lot, of snow. Seems they have used their snowmaking water supply/alotment for the year.

I'm sure all the Northern California resorts are in a similar position. So PRAY to the snow gods for some precip!!!

THis is the slippery slope of the snowmaking ventures. The resorts touting the most extensive snowmaking still have to contend with water allotments. Which is not readily mentioned in ad campaigns. The water comes from the lake so the greenies are all over that...and for good reason. One thing nice about Kirkwood (and I hate to keep harping on its benefits) is they stop making snow as soon as the season steadies...and they don't resume it throughout the year and rely on natural conditions. Personally I think that's a better way about it. Bummer for the Heavenly ticketholders though if this is true. I'd be hopin for a partial refund or possible discount next year for a preorder.

2-3feet by and through the weekend should turn the tables here. It's gonna be 4807 weather for a few days it looks like.:biggthump :biggthump

J

I just heard a rumor via friend in South lake Tahoe, that Heavenly resort may have to close after presidents weekend, if they don't get some/any/a lot, of snow. Seems they have used their snowmaking water supply/alotment for the year.

I'm sure all the Northern California resorts are in a similar position. So PRAY to the snow gods for some precip!!!

According to many reports, Heavenly did the right thing by using up their snowmaking. This season has been very good because of that call. Now with a bunch of fresh coming our way this week, they should be good as long as it keeps coming for a while.

Snow is good...for everyone :1luvu: