Note to New Members ×

Raichle boot questions

bjordnolf

I got my girlfried a pair a Raichle 324's with the thermoflex liner and there is no footbed inside the liner. Is there supposed to be a footbed with these liners

(never owned raichle). I was thinking about getting a Surefoot or Sole footbed

but dont have anything to size it from. Also there is a foam shim under the liner, supposed to be there or no? Sorry for all the questions.

thanks

there are usually no footbeds with the thermoflex in my experiences... i usually have my riders get custom footbeds for comfort and performance...

the foam under the liner is a wedge usually made to give women a little more room inthe boot at the calf height. it basically raises the leg a few cenitmeters higher, onto the thinner part of the calf, making a better fit. hope this helps...

The Raichle (and DeeLuxe) ThermoFlex liners do not come with a footbed in them. Putting one in place (as noted by neil sunday) is a good idea for the reasons stated.

One word of caution though. Some people find that the 'L' shaped "anti-heel-lift" pads that are designed to form around your ankle bone protrusion are in the wrong place when a footbed is used. I'm one of those people and have yet to find a good solution.

The foam shim under the liner is not standard. That boot shell would only have a thin plastic sole plate screwed to the boot shell.

good point regarding footbeds and placement of the "anti-heellift pads" i'll need to keep an eye on my kids to make sure it's not happening to them. i personally got lucky- but also have an extremely proficient bootfitter that i have to schedule in advance before he takes the time to make a set of footbeds for myself or my athletes...

we usually duct tape the "foam wedge" onto the thin plastic sole plate mentioned by YYZ to ensure it doesnt slide.. but again, these are only used when a rider cannot adequatley fit their calf into the boot due to size-- particullarly common with female riders in their teens and beyond.

i'll need to keep an eye on my kids to make sure it's not happening to them.
You'll know if it's a problem... the rider will be complaining about sore feet! What often happens is the "L" is too low on the leg/ankle and causes some pain on the person's heel pad.

Some foot beds are thicker than others, especially if the fitter is of the mind that 'posting' the footbed is standard operating procedure.

I know it's frowned upon but I molded my raichles without footbeds. I don't really have alot of riding on them yet but I have been wearing them around everywhere and they're real comfortable. The little black pads on the ankles are in the right spots. Not alot of movement going on. Not too bad. I don't forsee any sore feet in the future.

I'm getting my Suzukas remolded, to fill out the space above my foot a little more (they were molded with the buckles super-tight, which I think compressed the liner). I've got thin blue Superfeet in there now; if I put in green ones for a little more support and cushioning, will it mess with how the liner forms around my ankles?

I'm getting my Suzukas remolded, to fill out the space above my foot a little more (they were molded with the buckles super-tight, which I think compressed the liner). I've got thin blue Superfeet in there now; if I put in green ones for a little more support and cushioning, will it mess with how the liner forms around my ankles?

Shouldn't be any problem as long as you mold the liners while wearing the footbeds that you plan to ride with. If your footbeds are very similar in shape you can probably get away with swapping between them.

dshack,

Just to make sure you know about them, use the Wintergreen Superfeet (for winter sports) and not the regular Green Superfeet.

I used them when I molded my Suzuka thermoflex. I also did the other recommended things (cottom between toes, cut off old wool sock and made a toe cap, didn't tighten buckles too much for the 15 minutes I stood with my toes on a 2x4 while they cooled, etc.) All I can say is they are so comfortable, I don't loosen the clips once for the entire day, even during lunch.

Stuff cotton between your toes to give you a little extra toe room after it's molded. I used the same sock that I made the toe-cap from and wrapped my toes up. Good room for my toes except I bump the end a little bit with my big toe. I did my right foot first. When I did my left I put some padding on the end of my big toe to hopefully open that up. I can't tell the difference between the left or right though. I must be right about at the end of the lining.