Note to New Members ×

Amazing New Mexico 06/07 Season!!!!

RDY_2_Carve

Well Wolf Creek just got 10" last night with more to come, so I Divebomber might get that powder day after all.

Not sure if this snow is going to revive Angel Fire's conditions or not. I'm going to make a last minute decisions (on Sat) where I'm going to go. I was leaning towards Ski Santa Fe but I may save that trip for a later date now.

If I goto Angel Fire are you interested in making the trip with us Bamboo_Girl?

where did you hear that?

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Thanks for the invite :)

I'm certainly willing to go to Angelfire, but on just a 34" base, it sounds sketchy to me. I mean Sandia closed with a 44" base and the snow was like pencil thin. I'd actually be much more open to going to Wolf Creek, knowing they have (at least today) powder and decent snow.

Maybe base depth's and the like, aren't really useful, I don't know. Not sure what else you can go by to get an idea of what a place is like. I do know SF has plenty of snow, at least as of last weekend, though in that freeze-slush cycle. It has cooled off a lot, so I think it will be better this weekend.

If they get a storm up there of say, a foot (or three) of powder at AF, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I'd rather drive half as much and go to SF.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Minor but noteable update here...

4" of new snow in Santa Fe and probably more tonight and tomorrow. The season, what's left of it, looks to get a little life out of that.

Wolf Creek I hear, got another 3" after 10" the day before.

I'm definitely going to SF this weekend while the getting is still good :)

Guest Bamboo_Girl
Hey I'll be at SF tomorrow (Sun 3/25). Black coat, grey pants, black helmet with hardbooter.com stickers on it. Orange Stratos Pro's and I'll be on my Hooger 163 at least for the 1st 1/2 of the day.

Hope to see you there!

Hi...

Just saw this now but, I was at SF all-day today. You missed it man, yesterday I got fresh tracks in 14" of powder. That was sweet! Just like riding a surfboard.

Anyway, I don't remember seeing anyone in hard boots today, although I did spot a few people (2-3) early in the morning that had step-in bindings.

I rode an Arbor Crossbow in the morning, did some carving. Then switched to the freestyle deck and was in the park, doing jumps, basically for every run thereafter until closing. Who knows, maybe we rode by the very same areas.

Yeah I probably saw you but just didn't know who to look for.

I enjoyed SF yesterday. The early AM groom was fantastic and I couldn't ask for better snow/coverage.

Not sure if I'll be going again this season. Thinking about hanging it up and starting the skateboard thing. $51 for a lift has a lot to do with that...although I did feel like I got my moneys worth yesterday.

Let me know if you wanna carve up some pavement.

JPW

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Aww, that's too bad about you hanging it up for the season. Would have been cool to get some tips in person on carving, but hey, maybe next year.

Yesterday was real good. Great grooming in the morning, definitely not icy, and looked just like those 'cord' pictures people put on this site. I did Muerte, Midland, etc early on and it was very smooth, plus no crowds either.

I was probably hard to miss on the hill yesterday - tall, black top, white cargo pants, helmet, arbor board(s).

Anyway, I'm going to keep riding all the way to the bitter end. I'm starting to get some confidence on jumping and other tricks, so I can't imagine quitting now!

Guest Bamboo_Girl
Last week for NM Snow Season! Get it while it's hot! LITERALLY!

P.S. I did about 7 miles of skateboarding on Sunday. My legs are still sore!

7 miles? wow! Did you just ride all the way down the arroyo's to the rio grande?!

Hate to say it but, I rode scared this past weekend on saturday (i didn't go sunday). It was rather cold and very windy, which just packed the snow down to rather rock hard. I rode the park but got more and more tenative. I kept telling myself, don't fall! I didn't fall, but then I sort of regressed on my jumps. I left midday, I just wasn't into the riding.

Carving though, went surprisingly well, riding my freestyle deck, the Mystic, no less. I carved in a duck stance and it was cool on the toeside, but feels rather strange on the heelside, since you basically have your back turned downhill! Still it is doable and the heelside carves were fine. I may go next weekend, try a really forward stance, and see if I can go well beyond norm carving. I bet I could do it :)

Ha! No kidding, the final week of the season indeed. They cut ticket prices by $10 by the way. With my little discount card, a full day will be $31.

We did runs skateboarding. It's about 1.8miles downhill. We were going to do more but it looked like a cop had ran everybody off. Bastards!

If we have three or more people we do runs where one person drives down and waits for the others to get to the bottom. Then shuttle back up to the top! :)

Very very fun!

You should come out sometime!?!? I won't be out this weekend as my folks are coming into town for Easter, but maybe the following Sunday?

Be safe and enjoy the last weekend of snow!

Dunno. Im quite broke from being full time student. Tho Im awfullytempted to go down south this month or May. However, I see it extremely unlikely. I know Ill be out in Farmington, NM on April 15th for a motorcycle hare scramble race in the Dunes. Heard my league's havin' a race out in Espanola, sometimes in June. Ill keep you posted. :biggthump

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Talk about timing...

Last weekend of the season and I run into a pair of hardbooters for the first time all year. Ha, how ironic right?

I was amazed at how narrow this guy's board was. While it may be an exagerration (only slightly), his board seemed to be half as wide as the Crossbow I was riding.

Small world I guess, or at least, sometimes.

Well, Monarch closed yesterday -- with 2" of fresh and more coming down. Friday was excellent for carving, yesterday the snow was a bit iffy -- powder on scrapy ice.

John -- if you're jonesing enough to head up to A-Basin, I could be talked into it :) Let me know if you want to go...

tom.

Talk about timing...

Last weekend of the season and I run into a pair of hardbooters for the first time all year. Ha, how ironic right?

I was amazed at how narrow this guy's board was. While it may be an exagerration (only slightly), his board seemed to be half as wide as the Crossbow I was riding.

Small world I guess, or at least, sometimes.

I'm not really surprised considering SF was the only NM resort open this past weekend. Well besides Taos but we know they are two-planker only...

Well, Monarch closed yesterday -- with 2" of fresh and more coming down. Friday was excellent for carving, yesterday the snow was a bit iffy -- powder on scrapy ice.

John -- if you're jonesing enough to head up to A-Basin, I could be talked into it Let me know if you want to go...

Tom I appreciate the offer but I think I'm done for the season. I'm not happy about it but my wife is due in early May so being 6 hours away is probably not a good idea at this point. I've actually made peace with my decision to hang it up for the season...my last day was 3/25 and I've been hitting the ditches on the skateboards to get my carving fix.

You should meet up with Bamboo_Girl though! If you guys decide to do something like that let me know and I'll let her borrow my HB setup. I believe she will fit my MP 26 Statos Pros.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hi...

So guess what? You know, don't you? Wolf Creek has reopened, for this Saturday (14th) & next (the 21st).

I might go up there for the 21st depending on how it is.

Lots of snow in this most recent storm (today), so it looks hopeful.

Peace :)