Note to New Members ×

Amazing New Mexico 06/07 Season!!!!

RDY_2_Carve

Snow Report:

Next e-mail: Tuesday, April 3 or earlier if conditions require

Some fresh snow for the weekend. New snow is as of Saturday morning, storm totals since Tuesday night. We're down the the final 4 in NM and this is the final week of the season for Ski Apache and Durango Mountain. Coming up this weekend... Taos has reduced tix prices... Sipapu tix are only $19... Durango Mountain has reduced lift tix and the end of the season party... Wolf Creek has another College Day on Sunday... Telluride has Passholder Appreciation Days starting Sunday.

This report is brought to you by Angel Fire Resort where they're closed for the winter season, but the summer season starts in May with mountain biking, golf, ATV tours, chairlift rides and more. Details coming soon to angelfireresort.com.

Sandia Peak: Closed for the season.

Santa Fe: 3 New. 3 Storm. 3 New This Week. 59 Inch Base. PP/MG/SP surface conditions. 6/7 lifts running. 66/67 trails open. 24 runs groomed. The Boneyard Terrain Park is open on Middle Broadway. Closing date is April 8. Lifts now run from 9:30am to 4:30pm. Half day will be from 9:30am to 1:00pm or 1:00pm to 4:30pm. The Ticket, Rental, Snow Sports School and Skier Services will open at 8:30am.

Taos Ski Valley: 4 New. 6 Storm. 6 New This Week. 69-90 Inch Base. PP/MG surface conditions. 11/12 lifts running. 109/110 trails open (15 beginner runs, 17 intermediate trails, 34 advanced, 44 expert). 25 runs groomed. The Ridge is open from Kachina Peak to Wonder Bowl. Closing date is April 8. For the final 2 weeks of the season (March 26th-AprIl 8th), adult tickets are $30. Coming up next weekend... on Saturday it's Tele Fun Day where telemark skiers compete head2head for fun and prizes. Festivities following event to be announced. And then on Sunday, April 8, it's the Bud Light Pond Skimming Championships. Get ready to laugh until your sides hurt at this must see event. From 2:30pm to 5pm people will use any means necessary to skim across an 80 foot pool of ice cold water (best costume earns points). No motorized vehicles. Don't miss the fun on the last day of the season, on Strawberry Hill.

Angel Fire: Closed for the season.

Pajarito: Closed for the season.

Red River: Closed for the season.

Sipapu: 1 New. 1 Storm. 1 New This Week. 23 Inch Base. PP/MG/SP surface conditions. 2/4 lifts running. 11/39 trails open. Lift tickets are now $19. Open daily until April 8 and then will be open weekends only until the snow is gone.

Ski Apache: 4 New. 5 Storm. 5 New This Week. 29 Inch Base. PP/MG/SP surface conditions. 4/10 lifts running. 35/55 trails open. Closing day is this Sunday, April 1.

Enchanted Forest XC: Closed for the season.

Valles Caldera National Preserve: Closed for the season.

Durango Mountain Resort (Purgatory): 3 New. 16 Storm. 16 New This Week. 59 Base. P/PP/MG/SP surface conditions. 4/11 lifts running (chairs 1, 2, 3, 8). 83/85 trails open (95% open. Columbine area is now closed). 24 runs groomed. The Pitchfork Freestyle Garden is open featuring multiple rails, a fun box, one large kicker and the Half Pipe. Closing date is April 1. Lift tickets are $39 for the final week of the season, except this Saturday and Sunday tickets will only be $30 for adults. After getting in your last turns of the season Sunday, head to Steamworks in downtown Durango for the end of season party. Starting at 3pm Sunday afternoon, Steamworks will offer $2 beers for all passholders, and there will be plenty of fun and other activities.

Wolf Creek: 2 New. 7 Storm. 7 New This Week. 93 Inch Base. P/PP/MG surface conditions. 6/7 lifts running. 77/77 trails open (1600 acres are available, which is 100% of the mountain). Montezuma Bowl, Alberta Face and the Waterfall area are open. Closing date is April 8. This Sunday is College Day with $25 lift ticket for college students and faculty with a valid college photo ID.

Silverton Mountain: 5 New. 11 Storm. 11 New This Week. 80 Inch Base. P/PP surface conditions. 1/1 lift running. Open Thursday through Sunday for guided skiing and boarding. You must have avalanche beacon, shovel and probe to ride (rentals available at mtn). Guided only skiing and boarding from now through April 4. Remember, only 80 allowed per day and reservations are required. Tickets for guided skiing are $119.

Telluride Resort: 5 New. 16 Storm. 16 New This Week. 56 Inch Base. P/PP/MG surface conditions. 16/16 lifts running. 81/84 trails open. 34 runs groomed. Closing day is April 8. Telluride is running a passholder appreciation special for the final week of the season – From April 1-8 present your full season pass from any other ski resort and pay just $39 for a lift ticket. If you already have a Telluride Free Day Card or a completed 6 or 10 pay pass, ski for $39 as well. Valid April 1-8, 2007. Limit one ticket per person, per pass, per day.

Report Legend:

Snowfall amounts are listed in inches. Surface conditions are noted as follows: P=Powder, PP=Packed Powder, MG=Machine Groomed Snow, HP=Hard Packed, SP=Spring Conditions, VC=Variable Conditions, NR=No Report From Ski Area, N/A=Not Applicable, T=Trace.

LAST WEEK FOR NM SNOW SEASON!!! :(

• 1 month later...
Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hi..

How is Angelfire as far as carving runs? I've heard a lot about their freestyle areas (like the pipe) which sound cool, but nothing on the rest of the mountain.

I just got back from Durango and was quite unimpressed with the whole setup. Santa Fe, where I go basically every weekend, is nice, but half the state of Texas practically, was there yesterday and littered all of the lower mountain runs.

Cool another NM carver! Where are you located, and where have you been the last three years? :) I'm always looking for carvers to take some runs with...

Angel Fire is second to Santa Fe for New Mexico carving. It was busy last weekend at Angel Fire as well. BUT Angel Fire is the most carver friendly mountain in New Mexico. Experience snowboards on the strip going into the base area (next to the chinese restaurant) carries alpine gear and the owner is a ripping carver. It's also common to see other carvers out there. I've met a couple of them so far. One lives in ABQ and the other lives in Trinidad, CO. Both are registered here on BOL but they are somewhat inactive.

Since Mark Jeangerard left Ski Santa Fe for Breck I'd bet there haven't been many hardbooters at Santa Fe?!? Besides the owner of course...

If you are interested in carving Angel Fire this Sunday we have space for one person this weekend? Assuming you live in ABQ? Or if you're on the way...

I'll PM you my cell number.

Guest Bamboo_Girl
Cool another NM carver! Where are you located, and where have you been the last three years? :) I'm always looking for carvers to take some runs with...

Angel Fire is second to Santa Fe for New Mexico carving. It was busy last weekend at Angel Fire as well. BUT Angel Fire is the most carver friendly mountain in New Mexico. Experience snowboards on the strip going into the base area (next to the chinese restaurant) carries alpine gear and the owner is a ripping carver. It's also common to see other carvers out there. I've met a couple of them so far. One lives in ABQ and the other lives in Trinidad, CO. Both are registered here on BOL but they are somewhat inactive.

Since Mark Jeangerard left Ski Santa Fe for Breck I'd bet there haven't been many hardbooters at Santa Fe?!? Besides the owner of course...

If you are interested in carving Angel Fire this Sunday we have space for one person this weekend? Assuming you live in ABQ? Or if you're on the way...

I'll PM you my cell number.

Hi :)

Looks like you found that other, rather lengthy, post of mine. Cool. It should give you some idea of where I'm at. In short, I started riding this year, w/o any prior experience. Basically, I really enjoy freeriding, powder, and some jibbing, but definitely want to carve.

I think right now, I can reliably do the norm carving (at least what is in the first article that Jack M. wrote on this site).

I live in ABQ but go to SF every weekend. My favorite runs there are lower broadway which at least for me, is great for carving, when there aren't 900 beginners on it. Also gay way is fun and I like to explore some of the trees and powder up there. Although I can't carve many turns in a row up there because the speed is just insane and I kind of freak out! Just from the looks of it, I bet Muerte is good, but I'm nowhere near riding black diamond runs, much less trying to carve them.

As far as my setup...I'm riding a 156 Arbor Push board (gorgeous!,nice, light, lots of pop, but a small sidecut), vans omni boa boots, and burton mission bindings. I'm using a 24F/12R right now for all-around riding. As for boots, I'm a US 10 (women's), so I guess that is like an 8-9.5 in mens? Depends on the brand, though I don't have experience in that being on my first pair of boots. Oh yeah, and I'm 5'10".

As far as carving and such in SF, um, I'd say it is rare to non-existant. I've seen one older guy on plate bindings. Other than that, one of the snowboard instructors, who is a cool younger guy that I've have had lessons with, knows how to carve.

Probably I can make it to angelfire once or twice before the end of the season. My partner is going out of town between the 24th & 31st of march. So those, (24-25 and/or 30/31) are the two weekends I could get up to Angel Fire.

I am really serious about getting better. The better I've gotten, and I'm at best an intermediate, the more fun it is :)

Realize that I've got a grand total of about 11 weeks of snowboarding experience - so keep that in mind!

Looks like RDY_2_Carve is gurning me to extend beyond my skidder posting status.

Hey I just broke my wrist racing boarder-X so typings tough. I blame the fact I didn't have a board I could mount plates on. But really I just need to start using wrist guards and probably other armor while I compete in that event.

Bamboo_Girl, welcome to the world of snowboarding, and event better to the experience of carving.

I've been snowboarding for 15 years, teaching boarding for 6 of those years and riding plates for 5 of those years.

In coaching a friend, she said it was an amazing transition when she finally realized the thin white line of carving.

As John was saying, Angel Fire is a very friendly place and everyone is very encouraging of expanding your ability. Experience Snowboards is a great shop, and they even have all the Hard Boot gear you can rent or maybe even demo for trying plates.

I'm planing on catching up with John(rdy2carve) the weekend of the 24/25th. So like its been said, nothing helps improve your riding like learning by osmosis through hanging with a pack of advanced riders, so hope to catch you up there.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hey Damion..

Uggh, so sorry about your wrist, that really has to suck for you. Especially as we've had, at least I'm told, a great season here in NM - better than most of CO.

Anyway, I've never been to Angelfire and have no idea what the mountain is like. I've actually only gone to 3 places....santa fe, sandia, and durango. I liked them in exactly that order, though I'd really never go back to durango period.

Not sure I am anywhere near trying plates. I've got a lot to learn about just riding OK in softies. My idea is, well, if you are so-so carving in softies, you probably aren't gonna put on hard boots and suddenly kill those runs. So working on position, balance, and all that sort of thing, is kind of more important for me now.

Maybe I'll check out Angelfire though I'm not sure I'd go up there on my own when I can just ride in SF. We'll see.

Good luck with your wrist! :)

yea, I wanted to say if and when you're ready.

But in the mean time, if you do come up with rdy_2_carve, I'll definately be willing to do some riding analysis, clinic and throw some tips your way.

I agree, its not that hard boots magically make you a better caver. But the point is to work at learning to carve really well in your soft set up. Then when you feel confident, and really want to take your carving to the next level, then step into the hard boots and plates. But it does help to hang with some carvers.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hmmm, I dunno about going up there on the 24/25 with your friend. He hasn't posted anything since the other day.

The help, tips, expert-eye, and all that, would certainly be very cool. I bet you could go through a huge list of stuff I need to change/do better!

No worries, I just want to learn, get better, and enjoy riding more.

What you said is basically where I want to be at, as far as carving very well on a freeride setup. If and when I can do that, then plates would seem like a natural step-up rather than me doing it now, where it would be at best, wishful thinking.

Besides, I'm having a lot of fun doing nose wheelies and air to fakies with my softie setup to just abandon it now :)

Hey just PM me, or call my cell. I PM'd you my cell number.

We can work on technique in softies...it's just a little harder to carve in softies, especially with the soft spring conditions. I rode 5/-5 last week for the first time and didn't have any major issues carving both sides.

Or we can just ride! I rode plates in the AM and softies in the PM last Sunday. We had a few during lunchtime so I was braver than usual. We found a nice drop off on the run "I-25" and decided to launch it a few times. I took it easy on my last one but my brother in law decided to go Mach-5 and spring himself. Good times! Nobody was hurt thank god!

I'm in the black jacket and my bro-in-law is in the grey jacket.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Um, PM? Sorry, I haven't gotten any PM's, hence my not having your contact info.

No kidding about spring conditions. Between the 919 texans crowding the lower mountain and the softer snow, I've been mostly freeriding and from the top of the mtn too. Early in the morning, the snow is still pretty firm and the edges seem to hold fairly well.

Ha....nice jumps there. I found Durango was not good for carving but there are countless takeoff's just like the one you used in the video. Too bad about their razor thin snow!

I'm still smarting from a fall on a jump I tried in the SF terrain park. Where I thought I'd do a simple backside 180, I then thought oh maybe I can pull a 360. Inevitably I ended up with more of a 270 and a really sore tailbone. Ouch, it still hurts, though 4 Ibuprofen before riding makes it bearable!

Hey all! I'm a transplate to NM, via OR, via WY, via MA, via OR, via NM, via CT. Yes I've bounced around a lot.

Anyway I live here in Santa Fe and need to get my liners re-molded and try to work out some foot pain issues that may be related to binding setup and or boot fit/setup. Are there any good snowboard boot fitting gurus in this state? I've been to Ski Santa Fe twice this season and each time I've had intense foot pain by the end of my first run. This also happened last season but to a great deal less.

Thanks all for any help!

Awesome! Another NM Carver!

Sorry bro I don't know any good bootfitters around here. Perhaps ask around the ski school at Ski Santa Fe? I know there is a place in Taos that does guaranteed ski bootfitting. There used to be a Surefoot in Taos but apparently they closed it? The last bootfitter I saw was in Aspen at SES.

Bamboo_Girl: Not sure if we're going to Angel Fire next weekend or not. They are loosing base FAST! Temps are insane. It was so bad yesterday we left early. We are thinking maybe Monarch CO but I need to call Tom Palka first to see if it's worth driving 5 hours...they may be experiencing the same issues Angel Fire is. I don't know how Angel Fire is going to make it to April 1st?

How's the snow at Santa Fe? Maybe we'll just go there?

Damion are you going to go to Angel Fire this coming weekend regardless?

We are thinking maybe Monarch CO but I need to call Tom Palka first to see if it's worth driving 5 hours...

Sorry to say but Monarch sucks. Went up in the morning a few days ago, got in line at 8:50 to avoid the spring break crowds. The melt-freeze cycle hit pretty bad, and some slopes ended up with frozen ridges between groom tracks, 4" high, I assume from grooming slushy snow the evening prior. I got some 6 rides in and then took my dog to telemark BC. Icy in the morning, softens up by the time the crowds are pretty bad, and then it gets slushy.

I'm hoping that it gets better in another few weeks, wouldn't mind waiting out the icy mornings if I knew I could make some turns later in the day... but as it is right now, not worth your time driving.

As for crowds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggX4ZIIXho4

I'll shoot you an email if things get better the first week of April, maybe it'll cool down and snow a few feet of fresh? Still hoping,

tom.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hi again...

So here's my unofficial snow report for SF as of Saturday - I have no idea what happened yesterday though it was another crazy warm day in terms of weather.

The problem wasn't so much the amount of snow, the runs I went on had good cover. FYI: I was on Muerte, Broadway, Midland, JC3, Spruce Bowl, Gay Way. What's going on is that vicious cycle of melt-freeze-repeat. So ice in the morning, nice for like an hour (around noon), and then slush the rest of the day.

What about Wolf Creek? I know they are known more for powder I guess, but right now ,I'd be happy to ride in anything other than ice or slush. Anyone been up there recently?

So I'm a BSG geek

But still, FRACK!!!!! Got back from the ortho today. My broken wrist slipped slightly with out doing anything stupid like going snowboarding. They said if it slips any more, I will need surgery, so don't do anything stupid like go snowboarding.

So no snowboarding for this weekend, and no racing GS and slalom at nationals. I'm bumed :-( I may still go to Tahoe and volunteer at nationals, but who knows.

I still have some stuff up at the shop in angel fire, so I may go up to pick it up. Or my AF friends may bring it to nationals.

Well here's to hoping I win the lottery so I can go to south america for snowboarding this summer.

Keep in touch and we'll start making next season trip plans this fall. Maybe even get a tramp for air practice this summer.

Guest Bamboo_Girl
So I'm a BSG geek

But still, FRACK!!!!! Got back from the ortho today. My broken wrist slipped slightly with out doing anything stupid like going snowboarding. They said if it slips any more, I will need surgery, so don't do anything stupid like go snowboarding.

So no snowboarding for this weekend, and no racing GS and slalom at nationals. I'm bumed :-( I may still go to Tahoe and volunteer at nationals, but who knows.

I still have some stuff up at the shop in angel fire, so I may go up to pick it up. Or my AF friends may bring it to nationals.

Well here's to hoping I win the lottery so I can go to south america for snowboarding this summer.

Keep in touch and we'll start making next season trip plans this fall. Maybe even get a tramp for air practice this summer.

Ah, that's too bad about your wrist. I was looking forward to the whole ride analysis, technique clinic, etc. In watching me ride, it isn't often you get the chance to watch someone break so many rules and have such poor form! ;)

Going to latin america over the summer for riding sounds like fun. Where the money would come from for such an adventure, I can't say, but amusing to imagine nonetheless. :)

Ah, that's too bad about your wrist. I was looking forward to the whole ride analysis, technique clinic, etc. In watching me ride, it isn't often you get the chance to watch someone break so many rules and have such poor form! ;)

Going to latin america over the summer for riding sounds like fun. Where the money would come from for such an adventure, I can't say, but amusing to imagine nonetheless. :)

We can still get some feedback on your riding with video...

Guest Bamboo_Girl
We can still get some feedback on your riding with video...

Well here's the irony of it all - I now have a cool little DVD camcorder. The flip side? No cameraman/woman! The people I've snowboarded with are out of town or hung it up for the season (lame!!).

So I'd post video if I could get someone to, well, video me :)

Forecast says some mountain snow for SF on friday and saturday, maybe even tomorrow too, with temps getting back to normal ranges (colder) Could be good!

Sounds like a good pizza and beer plan for nursing the summer time, no snowboarding blues.

Ha! If I'm in those video's then it might be more like watching snowboard bloopers :)

Well Wolf Creek just got 10" last night with more to come, so I Divebomber might get that powder day after all.

Not sure if this snow is going to revive Angel Fire's conditions or not. I'm going to make a last minute decisions (on Sat) where I'm going to go. I was leaning towards Ski Santa Fe but I may save that trip for a later date now.

If I goto Angel Fire are you interested in making the trip with us Bamboo_Girl?