Note to New Members ×

X-Games Carnage

wavechaser

OK - the tally for SKIER-X:

Ten skiers taken off the hill on toboggan.

Five taken away by ambulance.

One having surgery.

And we are worried about square tails in SBX? I'm not saying the ST's aren't dangerous too, they obviously are, but compared to Skier-X they pale in comparison.

I thought the Snowmobile Freestyle was bad until I watched the Skier-X. The skiers just go SO much faster than the boards that the crashes and contact are worse...it's amazing somebody hasn't been impaled on a pole or augered ski yet!! :barf:

The only ones worried about square tails in SBX is the tools who organize USASA nationals. Go to a FIS event and it is a non-issue, neither is the clothing you wear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: - that just made me laugh like hell for some reason...too much flouro I think! But I get your point. Are there clothing restrictions in USASA SBX too?? I think I'll bring poles to my next alpine event. ;)

You can't wear a speed suit because of "saftey" in USASA either.

Yeeesh...that's the kind of stuff that makes my head spin...but it's because I feel that the race parameters and conditions should be a much like what the kids will face at higher levels as possible. Do other country's amateur "feeder" organizations have similar restrictions?

Good lord - out of how many competitors?

Not sure - but as I watched it, it seemed they had to break away to another event after every heat while they hauled the (live) bodies off the hill!!

D. Rahlves was killing it until the final when he went down too - but he got up and finished, unhurt.

Yeeesh...that's the kind of stuff that makes my head spin...but it's because I feel that the race parameters and conditions should be a much like what the kids will face at higher levels as possible. Do other country's amateur "feeder" organizations have similar restrictions?

To put USASA in the catagory of a "feeder" program is altogether wrong. USASA does not promote riders to go into FIS events. They are set up for themselves and that's it. Other countries have junior events that use the same rules that FIS does.

OK - the tally for SKIER-X:

Ten skiers taken off the hill on toboggan.

Five taken away by ambulance.

One having surgery.

They built and tested a final jump during colder conditions. Many of the crashes (both men and women) occurred during the warmer time of the day, slightly slower speeds. Thus, instead of landing on the downhill side of the jump, many were just landing on the flat, and getting launched before the drop off of the jump.

Pretty funny, it was supposed to be just one last fun air time, but ended up being a major challenge for the competitors.

The entire thing is well worth seeing in person. Until you are right there and see those guys flying so far out of the pipe, or watching the snowmobiles launch forever right over your head, you just can't imagine.

To put USASA in the catagory of a "feeder" program is altogether wrong. USASA does not promote riders to go into FIS events. They are set up for themselves and that's it. Other countries have junior events that use the same rules that FIS does.

Yeah, I get that...and it's one of the things I don't like about them. But you can't deny riders come out of there from time to time, out of their own hard work, to compete at higher levels...so in that sense, they are a feeder - even if they don't come close to living up to the title 99 percent of the time...but yeah, I figured other countries had it down. Wouldn't it be nice to have a USSA "J" program for snowboarders!! :biggthump

You can't wear a speed suit because of "saftey" in USASA either.

Shawn Palmer was apparently told this weekend that he was disrespecting a "Gentlemen's Agreement" in SBX by wearing a tight Motocross uniform... He was told that he had an aerodynamic advantage that was unfair to the other competitors.... And yet Nate Holland, Seth Wescott and others have wax techs in Aspen... Just a bit hypocritical?

Shawn Palmer was apparently told this weekend that he was disrespecting a "Gentlemen's Agreement" in SBX by wearing a tight Motocross uniform... He was told that he had an aerodynamic advantage that was unfair to the other competitors.... And yet Nate Holland, Seth Wescott and others have wax techs in Aspen... Just a bit hypocritical?

10 years ago whoever said that might have ended up on their a$$ with a bloody nose. I know he would probably be dead without growing up, but sometimes I miss the old Palmer. Good to see he is still out there getting it.

Yeah, I get that...and it's one of the things I don't like about them. But you can't deny riders come out of there from time to time, out of their own hard work, to compete at higher levels...so in that sense, they are a feeder -:biggthump

Making that comparison is a streach. Because like I said USASA does not even acknowledge that there is a higher level to compete at. When juniors finally find out that they can never get to the Olympics through USASA they seek other options, then start competing in FIS events. If you use that logic every ski school and snowboard shop in the country is a feeder program, as is Nastar.

Whatever - my point was to ask you what the options for kids were like in other countires, since you are in the "mix". I value your opinion because of that. I don't want to get into a big discussion of whether or not the USASA is this or that - they obviously have their problems. I thought I disliked some of what they do more than most, but you've got me beat there. I'm hoping there is at least the chance that things will change some day...now back to the X-games carnage... :eek:

They built and tested a final jump during colder conditions. Many of the crashes (both men and women) occurred during the warmer time of the day, slightly slower speeds. Thus, instead of landing on the downhill side of the jump, many were just landing on the flat, and getting launched before the drop off of the jump.

Pretty funny, it was supposed to be just one last fun air time, but ended up being a major challenge for the competitors.

The entire thing is well worth seeing in person. Until you are right there and see those guys flying so far out of the pipe, or watching the snowmobiles launch forever right over your head, you just can't imagine.

The worst skier-X crashes I saw were not on the final jump - except for Jake Fiala in the final race when he took out the finish area - they were from contact further up the course. The male skiers were clearing the step-up/step-down box completely and just launching that final jump and landing halfway down the hill. The snowboarders, especially the women, were casing on that flat like you said aind you are right...more carnage there! There really should be separate corses for skier-x and boarder-x.

By far the most impressixe "X" performance though, was the adaptive-X folks...that was just CRAZY!!

You were lucky to be there and watch the snow machine freestyle - how cool!! :cool:

I loved watching that comp. It was amazing. Lots of carnage, but most of it on the same corner. Must have been some issues there with course design. The issue with that jump at the bottom was resolved for the actual comp (not qualifier/practice) by moving the knuckle back a bit and angling it down. The real carnage happened in a high-speed right turn with gill netting just off the course.

Puckett hurt his knee on that last jump by landing weird in the semis, but still pulled it out and won. Core!

USASA is a joke in many ways - square tail restriction, speed suits, etc. However, its a good comp format for youngsters and at least they still do alpine events. Every time I see the guys who run it I put in a dig about square tails though.

Puckett hurt his knee on that last jump by landing weird in the semis, but still pulled it out and won. Core!

Definitely! As was Fiala's Silver medal while taking out the aforementioned finish!! Double core!!

USASA is a joke in many ways - square tail restriction, speed suits, etc. However, its a good comp format for youngsters and at least they still do alpine events. Every time I see the guys who run it I put in a dig about square tails though.

Agreed - and as much as they do have problems, I do get to race 20-25 alpine races with tri-panels every winter, which I couldn't do if they didn't exist. Even better - it is just great to see everybody I have gotten to know through racing regionally every weekend...kids and adults alike.

When juniors finally find out that they can never get to the Olympics through USASA they seek other options, then start competing in FIS events. If you use that logic every ski school and snowboard shop in the country is a feeder program, as is Nastar.

It's the only feeder program that exists, unfortunatley.

There was once hope of USSA snowboard regional programs, but that died 4-5 years ago. Surprises me that it's not more integrated with the skiing programs, but that's another topic for another day.....

Then again, I've seen more pro snowboarders fed through USSA skiing than through USASA snowboarding.....

• 2 weeks later...