Note to New Members ×

Michigan's Upper Peninsula

rwmaron

My son and I are staying in Ironwood this Saturday; we've skiied/carved Big Powderhorn but none of the other U.P. resorts. We like the open slopes and good grooming we've consistently found at Big Powderhorn, but are open to suggestions for a change of venue. I'd label us strong intermediates at our respective endeavours.

Any experience with other U.P. resorts out there?

thanks!!

Well, I haven't been to many of the places, but the Porky Mtns shouldn't be too far away from you. I've never been there, but it should be good boardin. Another I know of is in Iron River, and that is Brule Mountain. It's a pretty nice place, probably good for carving. Mt. Bohemia is in Lac LaBelle, which is almost the tip of the Keeweenaw Penninsula. Probably not good for carving, but awesome as a mountain. Very tough mtn to conquer. In Houghton, (Where MTU, my alma matter, is) they have Mont Ripley. Haven't carved there, but they have some nice open bowls that would be pretty prime for it.

I wish I got farther west more, but I went to school in Houghton and my grandma lives in Iron River. I never really had any business anywhere west of that.

Edit:

I forgot about Marquette Mountain in Marquette. NMU Boarder could tell you all about that but I have never been there. Heard it was good. What I'd do is PM nmu boarder, he probably knows alot more slopes than I do.

For the best carving runs head to Indianhead. They have the best grooming and several wide, decently pitched runs right out of the chalet.

If you like powder and some knarly terrain, then head to Whitecap, which is the opposite direction out of Ironwood (go through Hurley) than the other resorts. They don't do much grooming there, but if it snows a bunch they have awesome terrain for freeriding. Closest thing to riding out west in the steeps and trees that I've found in WI.

I've been teaching camps at Whitecap for 10 years now and been going to the UP for a lot longer than that. I would actually consider Powderhorn one of my least favorite up there.

Marquette isn't that bad, but lacks some of the variable terrain that you find in the Western U.P. There are a couple of really nice carving runs and good grooming however...

Be forwarned though, there is a race there this weekend... It will get pretty crowded in the chalet... It shouldn't effect the space on the hill, but makes things interesting at lunchtime....

I got to get to class at the moment though, so if you have any further questions, I'll get back to you later in the day :biggthump

I heard a roomer ;) that the guy that grooms Powderhorn was asked to or did the grooming for either some world cup event or the Olympics. I've ridden all the hills up there. Ironwood is pretty much right in the center of Powderhorn, Indianhead, Black Jack, and White Cap. I've got to agree that if there's lots of fresh snow White Cap is the best for free riding anywhere in the mid west. I have lots of great memories of big dumps there. I do like Powderhorn quite a bit. They have, in my opinion the friendliest staff and do a great job grooming. Some of their runs could be a steeper but all in all they have a little bit of everything for everyone. Indianhead is a great place too. The runs are steeper, they seem to have more of them and a lodge at the top and the bottom. In my 28 some years going up north I didn't think the staff was as friendly but who's there to make friends with the lifties. Black Jack is about as steep as Indianhead, they used to have the best pipe in the midwest back in the day. There runs are a little shorter and the grooming isn't as plentiful as Powderhorn and Indianhead, but on the runs right up from the lodge they're pretty good. I've had great times at all 4 of these places since I was a kid. I think it sounds like a great opportunity to explore. The snow should be great this weekend wherever you go up there. As for the Porkies, I've never been there but it's a county/state park, more old school, but they're supposed to have tremendous amounts of snow. It's about an hour away from Ironwood. Brule is too far SE from where you'll be and Marquette is a hike too. If the forecast calls for a dump of 6+ inches Whitecaps my call. If not, I'd try Indianhead and Black Jack since you've already hit Powderhorn. I wish I could go up this weekend. I'd love to have someone new to ride with. I'm working on going up with some other couples and my wife on the weekend of the 9th of Feb. Have Fun!!!

My Dad's from Iron River. I was just there this summer visiting my uncles. Never been in winter, except as a baby. I thought Brule was closer to Iron Mountain? Mebbe I'm wrong.

ETA: Yep, I'm wrong - Brule is very close to Iron River.

In fact, Brule and Iron Mountain are on opposites sides of Iron River. ;)

Where in IR is your dad from? My grandma lives on the west side of Sunset Lake.

Dad grew up in town, but his folks moved out to west Sunset Lake after he went to college, so that's the place that I think of as his home. It's a small house of white cindercrete with a large bay window overlooking the lake and a tall TV antenna tower.

My grandfather, Walter Gendzwill, was a well-known teacher in town, ask anybody much over 50 and they'll remember him. My uncle Tom lives in Stambaugh and also taught school for many years there. My uncle Mike is in Trenary.

*googling* I note that there's now a "Gendzwill Drive" there, which I believe is an access to my late great-Uncle Joe's property which is now being subdivided. My Uncle Bob now owns my grandparents old place, right next to Joe's.

The name kinda sounds familiar. My grandma was also a teacher. At Bates I believe. Does the name Soderquist sound familiar? I'm sure I've driven past your dads place a million times. We used to ride our bikes (pedal) all the way around the lake.

Just for reference, my grandma lives between sunset lake and lake 9 (aka 9 lake).

Edit:

I realized shortly after I wrote that that my grandma lives on the EAST end of Sunset Lake. I don't know why I was thinking the west. Oh well.

Guest undertheradar4832

dont go to brule.

our ski team goes there because its closest,(we live in Rhinelander)

but indianhead is the best place to go, the run down the middle, there's two of them, O! just carving heaven (when there's not too many people there)and by heaven, i mean its the best next to the porciqupine mts.

Hey there rwmaron

To answer your question; The best place to go in the UP is Indianhead. My significant other and I get yearly season passes to Indianhead because they have the best groomed runs, have the ability to make lots of snow if needed, the staff is very friendly and there's plenty of room to do carve it up. Check out the FIS and Racing course runs there, as those tend to be a lot less crowded with gapers and newbies.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm headin up to Mt. Bohemia this weekend. It's not really carving territory. Unless you're into hurting yourself. But it should still be fun. For the most part it's a get together with the old roommates and go to the brewery and get less than blitzed, then spend a day trying to find our way out of the woods (bohemia is most definately off-piste) and then saturday night we'll go drinkin again, only this time a little heavier. If that is of interest to anybody, lemme know.

Well, I'm headin up to Mt. Bohemia this weekend. It's not really carving territory. Unless you're into hurting yourself. But it should still be fun. For the most part it's a get together with the old roommates and go to the brewery and get less than blitzed, then spend a day trying to find our way out of the woods (bohemia is most definately off-piste) and then saturday night we'll go drinkin again, only this time a little heavier. If that is of interest to anybody, lemme know.

Have one at the Ambassador or the Library for me :biggthump

If we didn't have regionals here in Marquette this weekend, I would definately bust out the softies and join you.....

Bohemia was fun. The top of the backside had lots of snow on it, but then towards the bottom it got down to about a dusting of base. It was a little hard on my board. But I was finally getting the hang of it and found some soft stuff and even took a couple decent sized drops. My back and right leg are so sore today. I was prettymuch mastering the chop. I was just muscling my board all over hell and when I felt like I did something wrong, I just got more into my board and it corrected any of my mistakes for me.

... it was fun....:1luvu:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Indianhead a couple weeks ago (It had been at least 10 years since I've ridden there). I had some of the best riding I've had in a long time. The runs were steaper than a lot of Powderhorns which provided ample pitch for some really nice carving. The lift staff was also friendlier than I remember. Great riding for everyone in my group. I hope to get up there one last time this season...any takers?